NXDN NEXEDGE 4800

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
So after gathering a little bit of information from the facebook group SDRTrunk users, it looks like a free program called DSD FME or a paid subscription to DSDPlus Fastlane will do the job. Any suggestions for using either one would be appreciated, like download and setup info. I think there is more support like youtube videos with DSDPlus Fastlane than with the free demo version of DSD FME which after looking at this and downloading the file I can see it's not for the novice user. No real easy step by step setup info. The readme file is helpful, but I really think more for the advanced users.

Last edited:

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
DSD FME which after looking at this and downloading the file I can see it's not for the novice user. No real easy step by step setup info. The readme file is helpful, but I really think more for the advanced users.

Well, if you use DSD-FME (or at least want to try it out) you get me.

If you can tell me what type of dongles you use and what the PPM values are on them, I'll make the csv and bat file for you to try out on that system.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Just looking at that site again, and just realized they don't have channel numbers for that NXDN48 system, so I'm wondering if its a trunked system, or if its just 4 conventional frequencies listed. If its a trunked system, we would have to do a little leg work to figure out the channel numbers so they could be mapped properly in the csv file.

I should also probably mention, that so far, NXDN trunking hasn't thoroughly been tested, so I don't know how it'll do in DSD-FME. The only other user report I've had on the system and it didn't work properly for them, but I can't rule out that it was a configuration issue.

BTW, I'm also willing to remote in with TeamViewer or AnyDesk and do the leg work if you are okay with that. Feel free to send me a PM. I can provide references. Truth is, I need more study of NXDN trunking systems in a live environment so I can make changes to the code as necessary and so on.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Well, if you use DSD-FME (or at least want to try it out) you get me.

If you can tell me what type of dongles you use and what the PPM values are on them, I'll make the csv and bat file for you to try out on that system.
Wow. I appreciate that. Your the software engineer (developer/owner) on that program. That would be wonderful! I use the blog v3 dongles and as far as the ppm. As far as I can tell it's pretty much null I guess. I see very little measured error when looking at the tuners in SDRTrunk, not enough to even adjust out.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Just looking at that site again, and just realized they don't have channel numbers for that NXDN48 system, so I'm wondering if its a trunked system, or if its just 4 conventional frequencies listed. If its a trunked system, we would have to do a little leg work to figure out the channel numbers so they could be mapped properly in the csv file.

I should also probably mention, that so far, NXDN trunking hasn't thoroughly been tested, so I don't know how it'll do in DSD-FME. The only other user report I've had on the system and it didn't work properly for them, but I can't rule out that it was a configuration issue.

BTW, I'm also willing to remote in with TeamViewer or AnyDesk and do the leg work if you are okay with that. Feel free to send me a PM. I can provide references. Truth is, I need more study of NXDN trunking systems in a live environment so I can make changes to the code as necessary and so on.

Only if you have the spare time. I know it's a lot of work on your part for something that may or may not work on a system that probably has very little traffic. A Volunteer Fire Department.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Does NXDN make your scanner sound better

NXDN, DMR, and Phase 2 all share the same AMBE+2 Vocoder, so it should sound exactly the same between all systems. Then again, also depends on the radio in question, signal quality, and the person talking into the radio. DMR can technically sound worse though if its EP encrypted, since they can steal 4 'LSB' of each 72 bit AMBE frame used for the vocoder to stash some secret squirrel information, depending on the algorithm in use.

Wow. I appreciate that. Your the software engineer (developer/owner) on that program. That would be wonderful! I use the blog v3 dongles and as far as the ppm. As far as I can tell it's pretty much null I guess. I see very little measured error when looking at the tuners in SDRTrunk, not enough to even adjust out.
No problem. I'm curios to see how it'll work out myself.

Only if you have the spare time. I know it's a lot of work on your part for something that may or may not work on a system that probably has very little traffic. A Volunteer Fire Department.
I don't mind at all, and have some spare time, so I could use the opportunity to work out the rough edges in NXDN trunking if they exist. its hard to do on samples, need real time access to a trunking system to do so, so if you would let me remote in, I can make changes to the code while observing what's going on and so on.

I was kind of wondering myself why a volunteer fire department would need a 4 channel NXDN trunking system. In my locality, the county fire rescue have a few NXDN channels, but its just conventional and the repeaters are located to provide better coverage of the area rather than used for trunking.

Also, I've attached the bat file and csv file I made for the system, but both may need tweaking. The bat file may need the squelch setting tweaked slightly in case of a bunch of false sync positives, and the csv file will need its proper channels set, which can only be done while observing the systems control channel and seeing what channel numbers its using in its voice grants.

Attachments

• avfd.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 11

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
I've had one "remote in" experience with a CoinManage software tech that I was having configuration issues with. It went just fine but you know Of course there is always concern when you do that, since everyone now days does all their banking via the computer with usernames and passwords for just about everything we do and it's all on the computer so there is a security issue and I hate to even bring it up and feel bad about even mentioning it but I just can't get around it.

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
I've had one "remote in" experience with a CoinManage software tech that I was having configuration issues with. It went just fine but you know Of course there is always concern when you do that, since everyone now days does all their banking via the computer with usernames and passwords for just about everything we do and it's all on the computer so there is a security issue and I hate to even bring it up and feel bad about even mentioning it but I just can't get around it.
Yeah, its pretty understandable. If somebody randomly volunteered to remote into my computer, I would be pretty iffy about it too. In fact, I'd just say no. Also, depending on what all kind of information you have stored on it, it is indeed a security risk, can't get around that. I'll completely understand if you don't want to, and we can just work at it over the forum instead. It isn't a big deal.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
NXDN, DMR, and Phase 2 all share the same AMBE+2 Vocoder, so it should sound exactly the same between all systems. Then again, also depends on the radio in question, signal quality, and the person talking into the radio. DMR can technically sound worse though if its EP encrypted, since they can steal 4 'LSB' of each 72 bit AMBE frame used for the vocoder to stash some secret squirrel information, depending on the algorithm in use.

I don't mind at all, and have some spare time, so I could use the opportunity to work out the rough edges in NXDN trunking if they exist. its hard to do on samples, need real time access to a trunking system to do so, so if you would let me remote in, I can make changes to the code while observing what's going on and so on.

I was kind of wondering myself why a volunteer fire department would need a 4 channel NXDN trunking system. In my locality, the county fire rescue have a few NXDN channels, but its just conventional and the repeaters are located to provide better coverage of the area rather than used for trunking.

Also, I've attached the bat file and csv file I made for the system, but both may need tweaking. The bat file may need the squelch setting tweaked slightly in case of a bunch of false sync positives, and the csv file will need its proper channels set, which can only be done while observing the systems control channel and seeing what channel numbers its using in its voice. Yeah this is abit beyond my

Also, I've attached the bat file and csv file I made for the system, but both may need tweaking. The bat file may need the squelch setting tweaked slightly in case of a bunch of false sync positives, and the csv file will need its proper channels set, which can only be done while observing the systems control channel and seeing what channel numbers its using in its voice grants.
Yeah, I think this is a bit beyond my comfort zone. I don't even understand how to start the program but here is what my file looks like.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 24

lwvmobile

DSD-FME
Copy the bat file and the csv file that got extracted into that avfd(1) folder into the folder you are showing the picture of, then run the file called 1 - start-dsd-fme-AVFD.bat and see what happens.

humblegeo

Premium Subscriber
Copy the bat file and the csv file that got extracted into that avfd(1) folder into the folder you are showing the picture of, then run the file called 1 - start-dsd-fme-AVFD.bat and see what happens.
The command prompt window briefly started and immediately closed before I had enough time to read what was happening. Opened for like 1 second then closed back down.