Nye County public safety mobile data terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

gariac

Reading the Nye County commissioners agenda, I came across this:
https://nv-nyecounty2.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/33577/Item36
with the interesting part being:
"The implementation of NetMotion is necessary to enhance data transport and internal network security,
connection reliability, policy enforcement and connection transparency for Mobile Data Terminals used in our
Public Safety vehicles."

Searching a bit more, here is a something I think is ridiculous, but it is relevant:
Fiber Optic Upgrades at Nye County Vastly Improve Internet Speeds |
specifically
"Mobile data terminals will be reinstalled in the vehicles used by deputies after being removed six or seven years ago because of performance issues related to inadequate bandwidth. The deputies “quit using them because they were so unreliable,” said Dimic. With a better ability to transmit data to the deputies, the terminals are being reinstalled in the vehicles."
Really, fiber optics will improve your MDTs? Good for reliable backhaul, but the weak link is the RF feed.

I don't see anything on RR regarding Nye County MDT frequencies, so this could be something in the works.

Here is a link to the vendor regarding MDT use.
https://www.netmotionsoftware.com/blog/industry-disruption/location-oregon-state-police/

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
They mention the MDTs as being usable again because of performance upgrades "around the corner". Unless they had low bandwidth between their datacenter and the location where the MDTs connected, I also don't see how fiber upgrades would fix it.

Netmotion is essentially VPN software with some usability enhancements during disconnect/reconnect scenarios when the client moves out of coverage and back in.

Done right, the user doesn't have to reauthenticate or otherwise interact with the VPN client to get their connection back, and applications may not even 'notice' that the connection has dropped and come back.

Cameron314

I would be surprised to anything as far as MDT frequencies, it's likely commercial LTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.