Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

4phun

Georgia to Use CrossingGuard(R), Nestor Traffic Systems Automated Red Light Enforceme

Here is another useful item to watch for using this new 996T scanner since old fashioned radar and laser detectors will not work in preventing you from getting a photo ticket were these new Automated Red Light Enforcement systems are in use.

Actually I believe the new high end Garmin, the 2830 I think would be a better solution as it has built in GPS warnings like the BCD996T and a new database that is beining developed for warning of speed cameras and such. If you tied that Garmin into the XM radio option there would be no port left over for the 996T scanner but older GPS units would work with the 996T.

Ki4je
--

Fulton County, Georgia to Use CrossingGuard(R), Nestor Traffic Systems' Automated Red Light Enforcement Solution

PROVIDENCE, RI -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 03/09/2006 -- Nestor, Inc. (NASDAQ: NEST), the parent of Nestor Traffic Systems, Inc., a leading provider of advanced traffic enforcement solutions, is pleased to announce that Fulton County, Georgia is to use CrossingGuard®, Nestor's Automated Red Light Enforcement System, at ten (10) approaches throughout the County. Earlier this week, Karen C. Handel, Chairman of the Fulton County Board of Commissioners, signed an agreement with Nestor Traffic Systems. Nestor will install its equipment at chosen intersections and provide ongoing back office processing and support services.

The Fulton County Police Chief said, "After the evaluation process was completed, Nestor was chosen as our Red Light Camera Enforcement System for a number of reasons. Nestor stood out because there will be no intrusion into the pavement, there will be no flash or lights other than what's already present, and no discernable source of speed detection device. At no extra cost, Nestor can provide collision avoidance software to detect if an accident is about to occur."

Nigel Hebborn, Executive Vice President of Nestor said, "We're pleased to have won another community in Georgia. We believe our selection by the County to be based, in part, on the recognition of the successful red light program we are currently running in Alpharetta, Georgia and our recent success in Roswell, Georgia."

Nestor Traffic Systems provides automated traffic enforcement solutions to state and municipal governments. CrossingGuard® uses patented multiple, time-synchronized videos to capture comprehensive evidence of red light and speed violations. In addition, CrossingGuard® offers customers a unique Collision Avoidance™ safety feature that can help prevent intersection collisions. Nestor Traffic Systems is the exclusive North American distributor for Vitronic's PoliScanSpeedTM, the industry's only scanning LIDAR, capable of tracking multiple vehicles in multiple lanes simultaneously. CrossingGuard® is a registered trademark of Nestor Traffic Systems, Inc. PoliScanSpeedTM is a trademark of Vitronic. For more information, call (401) 274-5658 or visit www.nestor.com.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
While this is off-topic for the 996 thread, my two cents on that:

There's already a device provided for early warning of red light cameras - it's the traffic signal that hangs over the intersection. Don't pass one that's red, and you won't get a red light ticket.

(Speed cameras are a different story and totally outside the topic, so I won't go there.)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Jay said:
While this is off-topic for the 996 thread, my two cents on that:

There's already a device provided for early warning of red light cameras - it's the traffic signal that hangs over the intersection. Don't pass one that's red, and you won't get a red light ticket.
Well said. Of course you have to adjust the steering wheel nut for that notice to take effect. (That would be nut, just behind the steering wheel in moving vehicles.)

Back to the scanner topic...

1080iAddict

Sorry if I missed this question or answer, but does anyone have a link to a GPS antenna that is compatible with the 996? I am looking for a small form factor for my mounting location - similar to the footprint of a small sat radio antenna. I am starting my mobile planning rough-in now. Is the antenna self powered from the jack on the 996?

Thanks!

Voyager

1080iAddict said:
Sorry if I missed this question or answer, but does anyone have a link to a GPS antenna that is compatible with the 996? I am looking for a small form factor for my mounting location - similar to the footprint of a small sat radio antenna. I am starting my mobile planning rough-in now. Is the antenna self powered from the jack on the 996?

Thanks!

You buy a GPS antenna that fits your GPS unit. The scanner itself does not receive GPS signals.

Joe M.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
1080iAddict said:

You actually have to use an external GPS unit.

I have been investigating the Garmin GPS18:

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

Since the 996 is using an RS232 serial interface, the "PC" model would be needed. According to the specs, the output is NMEA 183, which I believe is the protocol the 996 is looking for.

Also, since it's RS232 and not USB, an external power source would be needed. Fortuantely, the GPS18 comes with a cigarette lighter cord to handle that issue.

At $129, the price seems reasonable for something that will likely be a permanent fixture in the vehicle (I have a USB Delorme Receiver for my Laptop that I travel with), particularly since most new GPS units are USB.

yaesumofo

I know it is too late for any of this to happen on the 996.
I do have a couple of requests. First, if you are going to have a GPS function why not build it into the radio? GPS chip-sets are cheap. (anybody remember the Uniden radar detector with GPS built into it?)
Since this should be a next generation radio beyond the 396 but it isn't, It should have some sort of flash (CF, SD, mini SD....) card support. Having limits because of a shortage of available memory in this day and age is silly. Anybody who will be using this radio for it's truly intended use (mobile possibly country wide) will find the memory available in this radio to be totally inadequate. Many people need the ability or will in the future to be able to program more than:
Maximum Systems: 500
Maximum Channel Groups per System: 20
Maximum Channels in a Trunked System: 250
Maximum Channels in a Conventional System: 1000
Maximum Frequencies in a Trunked System: 1000 - #Channels used
Maximum Sites per System: 256
Maximum Sites Total: 1000

The need for more memory is especially true if you are a coast to coast traveler. This is when the GPS really will come into play and when the need for more memory will become evident.
As sombody who lives in Los Angeles. I have found it easy to fill the radio to about 1/3 of it's rated capicity. That is one area filling one third of the radio. I could easily add more systems and frequencys (for example I could add San Deigo and ventura county) Now if I can so easily fill the radio, how in the world is a guy who needs the radio to have the necessary data for a cross country trip. The 996 needs more memory!!
The simple solution is to have a flashcard slot.
Imagine how many systems could be programmed if you could stick a 1 gig flash card into the radio.

Personally I would like a true BASE version of the radio. I do not need GPS (I wouldn't mind it in an HT version) but I would like more memory. I will not be installing mine in a car. (I just take the 396 with me).
Anyway this radio does look like it will fulfill the needs of many people.
I suppose Uniden in all their wisdom have decided to wait before putting a flash memory port and GPS into their radios until the true NEXT GEN radios. I suppose these may be software defined radios as well. One can hope.
Yaesumofo

kikito

Premium Subscriber
yaesumofo said:
First, if you are going to have a GPS function why not build it into the radio? GPS chip-sets are cheap.

As cheap as GPS units are nowadays and as many people out there that already have one, I'm glad Uniden did it they way they did it. The added cost per unit for having integrated GPS I rather not pay. You're forgetting to factor in, aside from the cost of the GPS (however low that might be), but also the implementation of it within the radio which would create more complexity in design, etc. Not to mention the cost of also adding the antenna or providing means to add an external one, possibly extra shielding for the GPS stuff, etc.

Besides not everybody will like or use the feature so why subject everybody to pay extra on an already expensive scanner?

(anybody remember the Uniden radar detector with GPS built into it?)

Yep, I still have one and use it daily in my truck.

yaesumofo

I believe that it wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination for a 996 mod where a GPS receiver is placed inside the radio connected internally to the serial port and powered off by pulling some power form the main boards power supply circuitry. Then adding an external antenna port.
There are many tiny chip sets which have integrated antennas you supply power and sky and it sends NEMA data. All the radio wants is to see NEMA serial data. They have managed to install these chip sets into cellular phones without raising the cost of manufacture more than a few bucks per phone. This has driven down the cost of GPS to a very low level. Weather you want it or not I am quite sure that these will be integrated as part of uniden scanners within a couple of generations of radios.

Imagine the radio programming itself when it sees that you are at the Indy Speedway. Or the radio sees that you are in Los Angeles you hit scan and you are monitoring the stuff for that place or city.

All of this will happen.
More memory is a must if this is to happen.
Yaesumofo

kikito said:
As cheap as GPS units are nowadays and as many people out there that already have one, I'm glad Uniden did it they way they did it. The added cost per unit for having integrated GPS I rather not pay. You're forgetting to factor in, aside from the cost of the GPS (however low that might be), but also the implementation of it within the radio which would create more complexity in design, etc. Not to mention the cost of also adding the antenna or providing means to add an external one, possibly extra shielding for the GPS stuff, etc.

Besides not everybody will like or use the feature so why subject everybody to pay extra on an already expensive scanner?

Yep, I still have one and use it daily in my truck.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
yaesumofo said:
They have managed to install these chip sets into cellular phones without raising the cost of manufacture more than a few bucks per phone. This has driven down the cost of GPS to a very low level. Weather you want it or not I am quite sure that these will be integrated as part of uniden scanners within a couple of generations of radios.

The only thing I don't want is to pay more for a "feature" I already have easily with an external GPS. If you really think it would only add "a few bucks" more to the end price, then I'm all for it but I kind of doubt it'll be that cheap, even in the near future.

Let me rephrase it, I'm all for this particular integrated GPS feature as long as I don't have to pay much more for it.

Imagine the radio programming itself when it sees that you are at the Indy Speedway. Or the radio sees that you are in Los Angeles you hit scan and you are monitoring the stuff for that place or city.

I don't have to imagine anything, several years before Uniden finally came out with this I was already talking about something like this. I was even "ostracized" in some threads for "daydreaming" about something like this.....

yaesumofo

I was talking about dynamic memory allocation years before Uniden was able to implement it. All of these features will be commonplace as time goes on.
These ideas were ahead of their time and the technology.
Now hardware and the software driving ,it has become much more capable of the necessary computing power to be able to work with large data-sets like scanning and locational databases.
We will see things like flash memory and built in gps sooner rather than later.

Why would we need to buy new scanners if they don't?

Yaesumofo

Status
Not open for further replies.