Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Computer Control Question

I'm preordering, but I searched for this answer briefly but can't find it:

I see a DB9 in the back and some port in the front. I'm assuming you can control it through either port? For those of us who have it connected to a PC all the time, I would rather have the connection on the back of the device.

Thanks

hardware1197

Premium Subscriber
Computer Control Question

I'm preordering, but I searched for this answer briefly but can't find it:

I see a DB9 in the back and some port in the front. I'm assuming you can control it through either port? For those of us who have it connected to a PC all the time, I would rather have the connection on the back of the device.

Thanks

Go-24

Don't really have a need for GPS nor a mobile unit at the moment, but this thing sure would look sweet on my desk!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Go-24 said:
Don't really have a need for GPS nor a mobile unit at the moment, but this thing sure would look sweet on my desk!

Just in case and FYI, this unit does NOT include a GPS.

Go-24

Correct, I am aware of that, was referring to the need for the feature ...

I have just seen newer images from the wiki page - not sure that I like the aesthetics as much as I did in the preliminary design pictures.

Looks really sleak > http://www.radioreference.com/wiki/index.php/Image:Bcd996t_100505.gif

Not as sleak > http://www.scancapecod.us/wiki/index.php/BCD996T_Photos!

I want features, but for me aesthetics also play a role, based on those images if the later one is what the 996 will look like when it ships I think I might just go with the 396.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The "scancapecod" pictures are of a working prototype we had at CES. You'll notice the button labeling is all done with little white stickers. The wiki pictures reflect much more accurately the scanner's final styling.

Go-24

Ahhh ok, I was going by the wiki page which referred to the scancapecod photos as being "newer" . The wiki page also referred to the other image as (preliminary) - If it is like your avatar/prelim I will be waiting after all.

===

I have seen on some sites that the expected ship date is June 06 , thats not early spring and boy that sure seems like a long wait.

Last edited:

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
BCD996T > BearTracker® or BCT15 > APCO P25 Decoding

UPMan said:
Current (future) models BCT8 and BCT15 have BearTracker(r) Warning System.
Paul,

My big wish (what would make me buy a Uniden mobile/base in addition to my BCD396T I just bought) would be that either the BCT15 will decode APCO P25 or the BCD996T will have the BearTracker® Warning System. :D

The above quote is from another thread, but relevant here.

RADIOGUY2002

Except Date

Maybe I missed it, or overhitily exicted about getting one of these, I like to know when its to be excepted for release. Save the bandwidth and pm me, lol.

b52hbuff

Premium Subscriber
hotdjdave said:
Paul,

My big wish (what would make me buy a Uniden mobile/base in addition to my BCD396T I just bought) would be that either the BCT15 will decode APCO P25 or the BCD996T will have the BearTracker® Warning System. :D

The above quote is from another thread, but relevant here.

Why do you need BearTracker in the 996? Just program the Mobile Extender frequency in it's own system, set the beep and priority.

dimab

I thought I read about do not disturb priority scan, where priority channels are checked only when scanning between analog channels, not during voice, just like CC DND.

Is this true or am I imagining things?

STiMULi

hotdjdave said:
Paul,

It basically does using the channel alert function.

STiMULi

I just finished reading the Manual and I had a Scannergasm :)

This thing is BAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDD!!!!!

I am selling radios now! This is a must have!!!!

The GPS is (now that it is available on any scanner) is a requirement. I travel all over the western US supporting Rally events (like WRC). I tend to zoom around from place to place and because of the great distances between cities I tend to get away with driving a bit over the posted speed limit. My first line of defense is the "BearTracker" function on the BCT8.

Two of the pitfalls of this featire on the BCT8 are you can not modify what channels do or do not alert and you must remember when you cross over state lines and change the frequencies that the scanner scans.

Using the GPS in this scenario will allow the correct frquencies to be programmed as you go from county to county and not just State to State. It will also allow the use of type of priority scanning that is required in some states (like mine - Arizona) that will allow the scanner to quickly scan only the inputs of the highway patrol rather than the mobile extenders which are not used in Arizona.

Also because of my consistant travels on the Nations highways of the Southwest I have come to notice some consistancy on areas that tend to be speed traps. I would use the Dangerous Xing feature to notify my proximity to those locations. This information could also be shared between owners and could potentially preloaded before trips in to certain areas. (Preloading is a guess as it would only seem logical given Uniden's typical computer programming capabities)

As a Ham Radio operator I could move between locations and have the scanner automatically register the usable repaters in the areas I pass through.

Last edited:

STiMULi

Kirk said:
I suppose someday there could be some partnership with XM or Sirus, where it automagically downloads current data from some source on the fly as you drive across country, but I don't think someday is Spring 2006. :)

Plan on it.

Soon the Sat radios will have a GPS recogniziing your location for use in the playback of local (commercial) content. It seems that the radio will be monitoring multiple channels that will contain compressed commercial material and record them in the same fashoin as Tivo does and then play them back during certain (national) commercial breaks as you travel through or towards areas .

The next step afterthat will be 2way Sat radios.

zonian149

BCD996T & Digitraveler GDPS

I have the Radio Shack Digitraveler GPS that I use with my Palm Tungsten C and was wondering if it will work with the BCD99t. I came across this statement about the digitraveler when looking for a serial cable to connect it to the scanner. "To put it simply: Garmin/Magellan GPS transmit NMEA signal continuously once it is turned on. But Digitraveler does not turn on by its own, nor is there a power switch. It must be turned on by the PDA it is connected to, and running suitable applications." Would this prevent it from working on the BCD996T? Thanks in advance.--Gary

STiMULi

Does it have a NMEA interfce?

You'll need to do some research to see if a pin goes high if it recieves a string from the PDA in order to turn it on.

I would venture to guess it would not work though...

STiMULi

kikito said:
The only thing I don't want is to pay more for a "feature" I already have easily with an external GPS.

Buy a cheap GPS! :)

My county is HU-FRICKIN-MONGOUS and the 30 mile limit is not great enough on the GPS funtionality on automatically reprogramming the scanner. This means I will have to program multiple "systems" for the same system just to keep them from being locked out.

I think they need to increase the range on that to 100 miles.

Since It is not uncommon for someone in my area to travel great distances in a day just to go shopping or visit a friend this feature will be super handy. If I lived in a large metro area it would not be as handy.

I seriosly look forward to the Channel Alert function as well as the POI and Dangerous crossing features. In order to creat my own customized "BearTracker". I hope we can share this information soon. Maybe just create a Db here for POI and such

Think of how this could be updated to include Pace notes like what are used in the WRC and Rally America events. No more Co-drivers :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.