Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Originally Posted by kikito
The only thing I don't want is to pay more for a "feature" I already have easily with an external GPS.

STiMULi said:
Buy a cheap GPS! :)

If you read the same sentence you quoted, I already have a GPS, in fact I got two! That's why I said I'd rather not pay for a third when I already have them.

STiMULi

kikito said:
If you read the same sentence you quoted, I already have a GPS, in fact I got two! That's why I said I'd rather not pay for a third when I already have them.

I understood that you had a GPS and now I know you have two. Yeeha! I have three. One of them is a old tripmate which will be a perfect interface for this radio.

Let me further quote your post:

kikito said:
Let me rephrase it, I'm all for this particular integrated GPS feature as long as I don't have to pay much more for it.

You do not have to buy it if you don't want to. Keep your old scanners and your GPS.

Or perhaps you are griping for the sake of something to complain about then? I guess we could complain about the fact that the backlight doesn't come with a blue choice. Or we could complain that the serial ports should both be on the front. Or that the face plates are not interchangable to match the color/decor of our vehicle interiors. Too bad you were...
..."ostracized" in some threads for "daydreaming" about something like this.....

I will say I haven't found anything to complain about what I have read so far. Even the Price! The MSRP is gunna be stupid though.

See the Happyface -> :)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
STiMULi said:
Or perhaps you are griping for the sake of something to complain about then? I guess we could complain about the fact that the backlight doesn't come with a blue choice. Or we could complain that the serial ports should both be on the front.

I don't know where you came from and why all of the sudden you're quoting messages out of context and so on. I WAS NOT complaining, in fact, I was replying to somebody that WAS complaining that the scanner should've come with an integrated GPS receiver. I said that most of us already have a GPS, so why pay more for something that a lot of people already have and a feature that not everybody will use. In fact, I was 'applauding' Uniden for making that decision.

That's what MY reply was about. About someone else that wanted an actual GPS receiver INSIDE the scanner! So quit twisting words and quotes without knowing what you're replying to.

I'm not going to start arguing with you about what I said and your OWN misunderstanding about it, so quit while you're ahead....

teebee

800 Mhz Sensitivity

I sure do hope the 800 Mhz bands are more sensitive than the 780, 785 and 796d scanners were. I have a Pro-2006 scanner and the 800 Mhz is a whole lot hoter than the scanners mentioned above. And the same goes for 700 Mhz since Louisiana is heading for 700 (LATIE) soon. I would love to hear those bands better than what they have been receiving on the older Unidens. This will be the first review I will be looking for when the new BCD996T is released.

STiMULi

kikito said:
er![/b] So quit twisting words and quotes without knowing what you're replying to.

You need to stop read and writing with an attitude. You will be happier. I was merely making a suggestion and you took offense to it.

See the Happyface -> :)

Go back and look at my orginal response. You should see the :) Then be nice.

Ding Ding! Round 3 :)

Meanwhile...

Does anyone have a shematic for using one GPS to give NMEA info to multiple devices? I want to use the my TripMate GPS for both a NAV system in a laptop as well as for the BCD996. Neither device needs to send info to the GPS so I imagine I could just split the XMT side of the RS232 on the GPS witha diode to each device, right?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
STiMULi said:
Does anyone have a shematic for using one GPS to give NMEA info to multiple devices? I want to use the my TripMate GPS for both a NAV system in a laptop as well as for the BCD996. Neither device needs to send info to the GPS so I imagine I could just split the XMT side of the RS232 on the GPS witha diode to each device, right?

I wonder if GPSgate might be of interest to you.

STiMULi

Cool Product but it looks like a software only product and what I think I'll need is a hardware device because the BCD996T can not be considered an application.

Thanks anyway though.

teebee

Soon Arrival

Talk to a couple of dealers on Friday, One told me any day they should be arriving. The other dealer told me that according to Uniden they will start seeing them towards the later part of May. Cross our fingures!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Just hit the EDIT button next to your post and fix it - no need to reply to yourself ;>

- Rob

Edited after STiMULi's reply.

Last edited:

STiMULi

Once someone has replied the edit button goes away :(

Anyway, I fingered out what he meant :)

I AM TIRED OF WAITING AND I WANT IT NOW!!!

:)

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"Once someone has replied the edit button goes away"

No it doesn't, the DELETE button goes away. I can still edit my earlier post. For Fire Tone Out information, simply look at the top of the Uniden forum right here for the Fire Tone Out thread.

STiMULi

rdale said:
"Once someone has replied the edit button goes away"

No it doesn't, the DELETE button goes away. I can still edit my earlier post. For Fire Tone Out information, simply look at the top of the Uniden forum right here for the Fire Tone Out thread.

I see that. It must be inconsistant or Moderator controlled. Some of my posts I can edit and some I can not.

One of my posts that I can not edit had a graphic removed.

Things that make you go Hmmmm...

=========================================

Record Out Use

I have been trying to think of different ways to use the record channel feature when it will be installed in my car.

I was thinking that the SPKR out would go to a regular speaker stashed somewhere in th vehicle. Then the Record connector would be ran through a VOX switch that would automute the car stereo like a Cell Phone call. Only certain frequencies would be programmed to do this. I would probably use the freqs associated with the simulated BearTracker function I would set up in the scanner.

Auto Dimmer Control

Since I drive around with my headlights on all the time (No, not Daytime running lights) I could not make use of the 3rd lead to the radio for the dimmer function unless I build a photosensing circuit. I found a kit at a local electronics shop that should do the trick.

josephdavis13

Delorme Earthmate - GPS BCD996T

Delorme Earthmate - GPS BCD996T

I have a Delorme Earthmate GPS that connects to a laptop computer. I will be able to use this GPS on the new Uniden BCD996T scanner?

Thank you,

Joseph

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you are referring to the LT-20, no. It has USB output only, so can only be connected to a PC running appropriate host drivers. An NMEA-compatible output (serial) is required to interface to the scanner.

If you mean the earlier Earthmate that had serial output, then I believe it will work.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

I have asked before with no response so I will try one last time.
Does the 996 share it's radio section with the 396?
It seems to me that these things work in pairs. or at least they should. My BC-250 was a pair with the 785 and 796.
I guess it is safe to assume the 996 is the other half of the 396 pair.
Is the 996 the same as the 396 except for the gps functions?
Will other features available on the 996 which are not available on the 396 be ported to the 396 in the future?
Personally I am quite happy with the 396. I also have a 780 which is a fine radio. If I were to replace the 780 with a 996 (mainly for the apco 25 in a base application) can I expect to have a radio which is as sensitive as the 396? Or something closer to the 780 (which is more sensitive IMHO)?

Yaesumofo

Upmann said:
If you are referring to the LT-20, no. It has USB output only, so can only be connected to a PC running appropriate host drivers. An NMEA-compatible output (serial) is required to interface to the scanner.

If you mean the earlier Earthmate that had serial output, then I believe it will work.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
"I have asked before with no response so I will try one last time."

Possibly because it is spelled out very clearly in UPMan's post on page one of this thread?

- Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.