Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

UPMan said:
The first shipment has been loaded onto its container ship. ETA our facilities is before the end of the month (barring any transit delays).

back one page

edit: well two now, I was beat to the punch.

Last edited:

Scanner-geek

Am I to understand that the 996T will come already programmed with frequencies and trunking information?

In other words, if I am driving through a major metro area the scanner can automatically monitor the systems? Will this data be regularly upadated and available via the internet?

Or, is it the case (as I thought was the case) that all frequencies and trunked systems must be programmed according the coordinates that are available somewhere.

For example, if I am going to Miami, do I still need to enter all the frequencies/trunk info, or does the scanner come pre-prgrammed for major metro areas?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It comes preprogrammed with info for many areas, but the coverage is still a very small amount as compared to all the systems out there. So, it depends on where you are.

It is primarily the case that all frequencies and trunked systems must be programmed according the coordinates that are available somewhere.

safetyobc

On UASD996, under the multi site trunking. If I set each site to a different quick key is that a different setting than the system quick key?

Thanks for any information.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You should notice that Motorola and EDACS systems (where you enter frequency informaiton into one or more sites) don't have quick keys at the system level.

SQK = Site Quick Key (Motorola/EDACS)
SQK = System Quick KEy (LTR/Conventional)

safetyobc

UPMan said:
You should notice that Motorola and EDACS systems (where you enter frequency informaiton into one or more sites) don't have quick keys at the system level.

SQK = Site Quick Key (Motorola/EDACS)
SQK = System Quick KEy (LTR/Conventional)

So they are different for Motorola Systems and EDACS? In other words when the System is active you can deactivate Site Quick Keys and still scan certain sites within that system using the Quick Keys.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You don't enable/disable systems at all for Motorola or EDACS (there is no SQK or lockout option at the system level).

If you enable any site within a system, then all unlocked/enabled channels within that system will be monitored for activity. If you disable (or lock out) all sites within a system, then the system won't be checked at all.

osiris

site quick keys vs system quick keys

Paul,
Does this pertain only to GPS functions? Or can I program this like my BC785D and 246t, where you just program the systems & use quick keys for each?
Thanks for all your help, this site would be lost without it.
Bob Findlay

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
It really is independent of the GPS functionality. For a single-site Motorola system, you create the system then create only one site for frequencies, SQK, etc, then at least one channel group for the TGID's you want to monitor. For multi-site, you just create more than one site, each having its own frequencies and SQK.

osiris

quick keys

Paul,
thanks for the quick reply. I thought after I posted that a site key is basically aa quick key-but since there can be multiple sites it is called a site key.I asume that is correct. If I'm not using GPS then a Motorola site that can be monitored throughout the county would need 1 site and 1 site key.
Thanks again,
Bob Findlay

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Correct, during operation S(ite)QK = S(ystem)QK, and for Motorola systems that have only one site you need only use one S(ite)QK. Actually, even for multisite systems you could assign all sites to the same S(ite)QK and still have one-touch system toggling.

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Paul, does Uniden have a retail shop in the DFW area? Can we pick one up at your facility? I'd prefer to 'grab' a 996 by hand rather than have it run thru the UPS/Fedex grinder.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We only sell refurb merchandise direct (and then only through the web). Refurbs of high-end scanners are few and far between (and, of course, require sales first...and the 996 it still a few days away from having any sales).

bonus1331

You know your getting close when the number of scanners for sale in the classifieds section starts spiking...which it is!!

Think I will wait for the "15".

safetyobc

bonus1331 said:
You know your getting close when the number of scanners for sale in the classifieds section starts spiking...which it is!!

Think I will wait for the "15".

I will also opt for the "15" but not by choice. My finances won't allow such a large purchase, and my Chief Fianancial Officer (wife) won't allow it either, lol. I am hoping that the "15" will be below $250.

matt

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
If/when I get one, it would have to be the BCD996T. I would need the P25 digital feature.

As for my CFO, she would say that one half-a-grand toy in a decade is enough for me; and why would I need two devices that do the same thing. She doesn't understand!

For now, my BCD396T will have to do. I guess I could put in some overtime and save up...maybe.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
UPMan said:
We only sell refurb merchandise direct (and then only through the web). Refurbs of high-end scanners are few and far between (and, of course, require sales first...and the 996 it still a few days away from having any sales).

...so what happens if one of Uniden's retailers (Ham Radio Outlet) knowingly sold me a refurbished scanner - at full price?

Status
Not open for further replies.