Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIP

BCD996T at Dayton

Scannermaster had the 996 in their booth at Dayton.What a fantastic looking radio in person,if it works as good as it looks Gre will have a long,long way to go to top it.The display is bigger than the 2096 and what audio I was able to hear was good. Heard a little digital but mostly close call which worked good...Have had mine ordered for a week and after seeing it in person I can not wait for the boat to get in.I might have to take a another day off work just to play.

Mike T. kc8rrm
BCD996T (ordered)
785D
PRO2096
Kenwood TMD700
Kenwood TS2000

wesct

i have heard from an actual distributor yesterday- uniden should be shipping 996's next friday may 26.

wesct

scannerfreak

Well Known Member
Database Admin
Im dyin to get up there. I'm going to try to tomorrow. If anyone catches any digital audio, please report ASAP!

N2OXV

I took photos of this radio at Dayton today. If I figure out how to attach I'll do so.

N2OXV

Last edited:

CharlesE

BCD996T Picture

Saw the 996 at the Dayton Hamvention today at ScannerMaster.com booth #402/403. BuTel software was there also. Was told that they will be shipping the 996 to customers in about 2 weeks. Uniden is shipping next week to distributers. Butel software for the 996 will be avaible downloadable probably in August.
Sound was very good and scanner look good. Front has USB connection to hook-up to computer. Cable does not come with scanner.
I order mine today.
To see picture go to:
http://www.scancapecod.us/wiki/index.php/BCD996T_Photos!
This is not a picture from Dayton Hamvention.
Sorry if I made it sound that way.

Last edited:

STiMULi

Is that the prelim version?

Is the knob going to be black or silver?

Are the highlights silver?

Is the production model exactly as shown on the UNIDEN website?

IF so...

OH HELL YEAH, I can not wait!!!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
That page was last modified May 10, so those are NOT pictures from Dayton.

STiMULi

rdale said:
That page was last modified May 10, so those are NOT pictures from Dayton.

I guess that post leading us to believe they were "Dayton Photos" is a true Bait and Switch then.

Last edited:

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
996T at ScannerMaster booth 402/403 Hamvention

Picture of BCD996T at ScannerMaster booth 402/403 Hamvention

Attachments

• IMG_4679_!.jpg
    IMG_4679_!.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_4677.jpg
    IMG_4677.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

BMT

I think anyone who has preordered should go online and download the owners manual. Nothing like being ready when the great day arrives.

When in doubt RTFM!!!!

BMT

jf222

computer cable

Does anyone know if the computer cable for the 996 is the same as the one for the 396? This would be nice, since you have to completely shut down the computer to change a serial cable (unless you want to risk shorting the connection and destroying the serial interface). Thanks.

safetyobc

On the UASD996 where you enter coordinates for GPS functions on multi site systems....

331053.004 -913150.988 These are two that are for a tower on the AWIN system,

But when entered into the UASD, it only goes 2 places after the decimal once you move to the next tower. It removes the last #. So I get

331053.00 and -913150.98

Do I need to leave it this way? Or round the numbers up? Like -913150.99 instead of .98?

Also, do I have to add the - to the 913150 or not?

Thanks,

Matt

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
safetyobc said:
Do I need to leave it this way? Or round the numbers up? Like -913150.99 instead of .98?

I'm not attached to the project in any way, but consider that .01 of a second (your values are in DDMMSS.ss notation) is a terribly small distance. 30 "seconds" equals about 500 yards, so .01 of a second is not going to matter much for this purpose.

safetyobc said:
Also, do I have to add the - to the 913150 or not?

This part IS important. :) When referring to lat/long without any directional identifiers (i.e. N for North, W for West), positive values are assumed to be north and east (of the equator and Greenwich, UK, respectively). So since we're west of Greenwich, you need the negative sign - otherwise, your location, instead of being near Portland, AR, would be in a mountain range in the middle of Tibet. :)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Front has USB connection to hook-up to computer. Cable does not come with scanner.

To avoid any confusion (and answer some asked questions), the front port is a serial connection using the same connector as for the BCD396T (and others). The serial cable does come with the scanner. It is possible that they had the scanner hooked up to a PC using our USB-1 cable, which has the USB-->Serial converter built into the cable (and which does not come with the scanner).

Go-24

egads - Is that the USB connector on the front of the scanner? Surely not - yep it is ... actually never looked at it close enough in the past to see that.

I had thought about using this as a base scanner, but I sure wouldnt want the usb coming out of the front in that application. It seems they made a conscious effort to think about aesthetics and then placed a wart on the face. I guess in its mobile application (as it was designed) having that connection on the front "might" be convenient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.