OP25 OP25 on Windows subsystem for Linux

boatbod

Premium Subscriber
Curious how WSL differs from a full virtual environment. No reason it shouldn't work I guess.

N1OSU

Premium Subscriber
I tried to get this working. I couldn't get gnuradio to work. I'm no linux expert though.

I first tried installing gnuradio the standard way through packages. Didn't work. I tried compiling from source and found quite a few things missing to do even that, after fixing them it seemed to work but yet op25 still had errors related to gnuradio (although different ones) after I finally got it to compile.

I might try again, but it seems like it won't be very straight forward at all, if it will work.

I did this with ubuntu on WSL.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I tried to get this working. I couldn't get gnuradio to work. I'm no linux expert though.

I first tried installing gnuradio the standard way through packages. Didn't work. I tried compiling from source and found quite a few things missing to do even that, after fixing them it seemed to work but yet op25 still had errors related to gnuradio (although different ones) after I finally got it to compile.

I might try again, but it seems like it won't be very straight forward at all, if it will work.

I did this with ubuntu on WSL.
Did you use the Boatbod version / method? It's a lot easier.

hamfan22

After quite a bit of tinkering, I have not found a way to make it work. I installed the boatbod version of op25 and the install worked, but I ran into the issue of getting ubuntu to recognize the rtlsdr. Using lsusb doest't produce anything, so the big hurdle will be getting the sdr into ubuntu. I did see an article that WSL supports serial devices, so that could be an option?

DRL-XM43

Premium Subscriber
After quite a bit of tinkering, I have not found a way to make it work. I installed the boatbod version of op25 and the install worked, but I ran into the issue of getting ubuntu to recognize the rtlsdr. Using lsusb doest't produce anything, so the big hurdle will be getting the sdr into ubuntu. I did see an article that WSL supports serial devices, so that could be an option?
I hit the same wall with it - also it is tough working with just a command line with no form of interface.

belvdr

Premium Subscriber
There were significant limitations in WSL v1. I suspect better luck would be had with WSL2.

boatbod

Premium Subscriber
I searched around a bit and cannot find anything to suggest that USB Pass-through is supported in WSL. Without that there would be no way to load the RTL driver.