Orange County CCCS P25 Update

allend

Premium Subscriber
As you may know, all radio communications in Orange County are handled by the Sheriff’s Department. We have been working with them to unencrypt our radios. In the meantime, our IT team has found a work around and we have made our dispatch channel available through Broadcastify.

You can now hear streaming audio of our dispatch channel through Broadcastify.com on the web or mobile app. Here is the link:

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/22322

We are working to add tactical channels soon. I hope this information is helpful. Thank you,

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
The October 1st decision to partner with Broadcastify to stream a number of the talk groups appears to satisfy the de-encryption commitment made by both OCFA and several cities. Although this is not at all what we expected, it is a start. It certainly helps boost Broadcastify's ad revenue, and I must admit the audio quality is better than OTA P25. However it does limit how many talk groups you can actually monitor at one time.

The small amount of information that I've been able obtain, indicates there is no program in process to remove the encryption form the fire talk groups. Just some informal discussions. If anyone has some better inside information, I'd like to hear it. Please, no rumors. To paraphrase Sgt. Joe Friday, “just the facts mam”.

allend

Premium Subscriber
The October 1st decision to partner with Broadcastify to stream a number of the talk groups appears to satisfy the de-encryption commitment made by both OCFA and several cities. Although this is not at all what we expected, it is a start. It certainly helps boost Broadcastify's ad revenue, and I must admit the audio quality is better than OTA P25. However it does limit how many talk groups you can actually monitor at one time.

The small amount of information that I've been able obtain, indicates there is no program in process to remove the encryption form the fire talk groups. Just some informal discussions. If anyone has some better inside information, I'd like to hear it. Please, no rumors. To paraphrase Sgt. Joe Friday, “just the facts mam”.

What part of my last posting is not understood by you? This information is coming straight from the horses mouth. If you have more information then share it instead of being so vague and posting non-sense.

RWPowell2

Premium Subscriber
What part of my last posting is not understood by you? This information is coming straight from the horses mouth. If you have more information then share it instead of being so vague and posting non-sense.
Allend,

Your post quoted a July OCFA PIO twitter post. It also mentioned the the IT Group providing direct feeds to Broadcastify. Both are factual.

From what I have been able to ascertain, there has been no actual work done on unencrypting the fire talk groups. There have been several internal discussions on the matter.

Do you have any current information?

allend

Premium Subscriber
[/QUOTE]

If you can't understand plain text reading from post #421 on Monday with the current information then I am sure not what to say to you at this point. Come back to the table when you get more of your information which is so vague taking up space

WD6ABC

Premium Subscriber
Allend,

Your post quoted a July OCFA PIO twitter post. It also mentioned the the IT Group providing direct feeds to Broadcastify. Both are factual.

From what I have been able to ascertain, there has been no actual work done on unencrypting the fire talk groups. There have been several internal discussions on the matter.

I understood your question. July was some time ago, and I think you're asking whether radios are being changed over.
Unless I can't read correctly.
John

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Allend,

I don't think that it will be a gradual change, but rather a hard cut over, so any work being done would not be apparent to the casual listener or even the end user. When every last FD radio has be reprogrammed to work without encryption, then the cutover will likely happen.
With that being said, I could see the OC Fire Chiefs backing out of the unencryption promise and just streaming what they want. Especially if decryption is as complicated as they make it sound.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well this is another good way to look at this situation and never get your hopes up until it either happens or not. All I go on is factual information that is provided from OCFA emails that get sent out. But as everybody knows with government that anything can change and promises are not kept once the dust settles down. It would not be good for the chiefs to make promises and back out. But there is nothing that can be done.

As more and more time passes and there is no solid date for any cut back over then hopes diminish. It's just life and we have to deal with it.

OCSD controls everything and overseas everything to do with radio comms for The County of Orange. Streaming is an easy fix and if it works and they can stay encrypted and radio issues are minimal then I see no reason why they would bend over hand and fist to make any changes in the near future. All people can do is keep the chiefs to their promises and that's it.

drsl2000

I don't think that it will be a gradual change, but rather a hard cut over, so any work being done would not be apparent to the casual listener or even the end user. When every last FD radio has be reprogrammed to work without encryption, then the cutover will likely happen.
With that being said, I could see the OC Fire Chiefs backing out of the unencryption promise and just streaming what they want. Especially if decryption is as complicated as they make it sound.
Actually, it will be quite apparent.
When the prior switch over was done, they had to physically move trucks and engines. You heard dispatch doing multiple "move ups" of resources during this period. Local Garden Grove station 5 (now OCFA) had units from Anaheim, and Westminster there a few days.. :)

DjMclovin

Costa Mesa Fire's chief wants his department to stay encrypted from what I heard! This information is not speculation and comes from the CMFD itself! Some of the other cites also want to remain encrypted as well so we will have to see who returns to the clear!

JT-112

For fire, the RRDB shows quite a few unencrypted (D) TGs, along with the encrypted (DE) ones.

That seems to conflict with many of the posts here - is the RRDB up-to-date and accurate? Will be in the area and would like to know if it's worthwhile to program up a portable or not.

Thanks!

deboe

is the RRDB up-to-date and accurate? Will be in the area and would like to know if it's worthwhile to program up a portable or not.

No, it is not up to date. It's pretty much a copy of the old system values. I think everyone hopes it will go back to this way, so no one is submitting the DB change to have them updated to E..

The only thing you will hear in the Clear is DSP-DSP, the TAN Talkgroups, Lifeguards and public works (edit)+AirCall

Last edited:

rbyjames

OCSD controls everything and overseas everything to do with radio comms for The County of Orange. Streaming is an easy fix and if it works and they can stay encrypted and radio issues are minimal then I see no reason why they would bend over hand and fist to make any changes in the near future.
I wouldn't say they "control" anything. Its a partnership with all agencies, departments, and jurisdictions in OC using the system to pay for it and make decisions. Also, streaming kind of defeats the purpose of encryption.

rbyjames

Too much money to change back at this point. Imagine all the time and effort over the years to get to P25 and all the meetings and minutes out there talking about fire wanting to go encrypted. The OCFA did a total knee jerk reaction to less than (way less) 1% of the OC population to reverse the decision without any consultation or understanding how it is done with OC comms, other agencies, fire associations, etc.

rbyjames

Ever lend money to a relative, money never paid back, ask about it, relative says will pay it back, but years later never received money? Sounds like we're getting the same response regarding when OC Fire encryption will be reversed. I'm not expecting payment anytime soon, if at all.
Well get ready to lend some more money. Nothing will be changing unless it paid for by the CCCS radio users. Us taxpayers as well. :cautious:

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Apparently when the radios were programmed, the possibility that the public would strongly push back against the hiding of the radio messages was not entertained. The worship of the subverted and clandestine reigned supreme.

How much extra work would have been required to program clear channels as well as the encrypted channels?

NukeX

Is anyone able to confirm what cell the below clear tg's are on?

I believe most of the below were countywide, but I do not have the tools to verify.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

*****AIRCALL*****421
9-A TAN-CALL391
9-C TAN-SOUTH395
DSP-DSP1700
ANIMAL CONTROL2500
SHERIFFS TRANSIT-12580
SILVER-1 PARK RANGERS2524
SILVER-2 PARK RANGERS2600
HOC-HOC1710
2950b86DHTB LGHuntington Beach Lifeguard Aqua EMS Dispatch
2954b8aDNPB AQUALifeguard Division - Aqua Multi-Dispatch

Lifeguards (AQUA) Talkgroups
NextLevel.gif

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
2800af0DAQUA-2Lifeguard Common Multi-Tac
2802af2DAQUA-3Lifeguard Common Multi-Tac
2960b90DAQUA CountyAqua 1 County Ocean Safety Multi-Dispatc

Robertolson

Premium Subscriber
Animal control ...north & countywide site .....Anahiem park Rangers.... North site......HB Lifeguard...Southwest & Morehead site......Newport-beach Lifeguard...South Site.....EMS Dispatch is the big E. ...... Aqua S/W site and ????

EMTJD

I’m still hearing OC Fire on my 536. It was reported several months ago that OCFA backed off from encryption and reconfigured their radios.