• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Over 16 scanning Spectra Codeplug!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it looks like we are on the verge of this happening EASILY. This happened to someone else on batlabs. It has now happened to me and I saved the codeplug. I already posted this on batlabs, so here is what I said so far:

linkinpark9812 said:
:eek:

Well, There was another member on the forum on here that did the same thing. Something got mixed up and got a 17 out of 16 Max Scanning modes in one of his zones in his codeplug.

Well apparently I did too! :) And it was on my 2 Meter Amateur Zone!!! YAY!!!

Anyways, I am trying to figure out how I did it.

What I was doing was moving modes around. I had weather frequencies that were not all together and a few "unknown" frequencies for my town that were not organized. I had to use the mode utility extensively. I had to delete two modes, create two more, and copy a bunch around.

I may post the codeplug up here, but I am going to try to retrace my steps and recreate what I did.

and this is the next post, but as of the posting of this topic, it hasn't been approved there yet.

linkinpark9812 said:
Ok I would like to post an update.

I thought that because I was doing all of that crazy copying that this happened. Well apparently not. I went to my codeplug before I did the copying and it was like that. The furthest I can go back is when I was editing to expand the modes that was found out by someone else on the board. It still said "17 of 16 Max".

This means that I cannot really trace back to when this happened. However, I have found out some more things on how this works. Even though it says 17 of 16, there are only 16 (including SEL MODE) modes selected to scan. What is weird is that if I disable all of the modes for scanning, it says 2 of 16, even though for all of the other zones that don't have this "problem" will say 1 of 16, because only SEL MODE is selected. Because of this, I think the "modes selected to scan" number is stored somewhere, rather than the RSS seeing what modes are selected and produce a number using simple addition.

Also, If you do drop the scanned modes below the 17, then the "glitch" is fixed, and now the program says "max number selected" or whatever.

This leaves me to believe that the software does NOT do a math calculation when seeing if you can go over that amount of modes. If it did, it wouldn't let me select more that 16 modes, even with this error. Even though it says 17, if I tried to add one, the program would do a math calculation and find out you are over 16. It seems that the software just COMPARES the selected scan modes to a static "16". So when you hit the limit 16, it sees that the 16 you selected equal the static 16 that is in the RSS, and gives you the "max limit of scan modes". However, since it glitched or whatever to 17, it tries to compare and sees that 17 does not equal 16 and lets you select more modes to scan.

This leads me to believe that a little hex editing in the RSS could make this possible for everyone.

Also, this "glitch" is programmed into my radio. I read my radio with my computer, and it gives me the 17 of 16. However, when front programming the scan list, the radio identifies that it is at max and won't let me select more modes to scan like the RSS lets me in this "glitched" zone.

I am wondering if bit banging could also make this possible. Apparently the number of modes that will be scanned for a zone is stored somewhere. I think this because the RSS says 17 modes are selected to scan, but only 16 are. It isn't doing a calculation seeing how many modes are selected to scan and producing a number. It seems to be stored separate, probably for each zone.

Also, this is Zone number 21 that has "glitched".

Anyone have comments, suggestions, ideas? What do you guys think about it?

I would post my codeplug, but I really don't want my serial number out in the open.

Status
Not open for further replies.