P25RX-II P25RX-II Firmware Updates / Testing

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I downloaded and "installed" the latest firmware / software 2022-01-06-1245 today, upgrading from 2022-01-04-1359. The software (06-1245) is running, but the radio did not "ask" to be updated, nor is the radio receiving / decoding any talkgroups. No audio at all - it's just running like there is no traffic, but my other radios are receiving. Any way to force the radio to install the new firmware?

btt

Banned
Banned
I downloaded and "installed" the latest firmware / software 2022-01-06-1245 today, upgrading from 2022-01-04-1359. The software (06-1245) is running, but the radio did not "ask" to be updated, nor is the radio receiving / decoding any talkgroups. No audio at all - it's just running like there is no traffic, but my other radios are receiving. Any way to force the radio to install the new firmware?
Please try this: 1) select all TG rows in the talk group editor. 2) Press the <Set Selected Zones> button. 3) Enter 1 for the zone. 4) Press the <Write Talk Groups> button. 5) Make sure the '1' button for the Zones is green. (press if not). Does that get it going for you?

Vermonster

2022-01-08 07:58; Win10 box
Firmware installs correctly, but if you try to write a new system (I've tried both DMR restore from file and writing P25 conventional frequency) things either lock up. I originally thought there was just an immediate lockup at "Status: Reading sys_config from P25RX device"
However, after closing software and restarting device, I tried restoring a DMR system a second time and this time after stalling at the same read sysconfig point for a long while (went to get a cup of coffee), it seems to have proceeded to reading roaming before getting stuck.

Tried on USB interface both fast and slow (usually fast fine for me). No difference.

Note that after each lockup, if device is unplugged and software restarted, monitoring of the system that was running immediately prior to firmware update to 07:58 seems to continue and work correctly.

Vermonster

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this situation where it's impossible to write anything to the device.
Device seems to be corrected normally, but as soon as I try to write anything (talkgroups, frequency, Rx Model, etc.) the Status line gets stuck at reading sys_config.

Any smart ideas about how to fix?
Yes, I have reinstalled firmware. Tried a different cable. Tried a different computer.

THX

btt

Banned
Banned
@Vermonster,
I will work on this soon, but I need to finish assembling and selling some new hardware first. Can you let me know what the last version was that worked well for you? I probably shouldn't ship with the current firmware if it isn't working right. I want to make sure it is working correctly for new P25RX-II owners. Thank you.

Here is the order I need to work on things over the next week or two. Thank you for understanding!
1) assemble new hardware
2) get scanning profiles / scanning frequency support added. No new features or bug fixes can be worked on during this period. I have to start over on scanning support each time this happens. (this has happened several times now).
3) resume bug fixes and adding new features

btt

Banned
Banned
@Vermonster
Ok, I can't let bugs like this go. After testing P25 conventional, I think I have that issue fixed now in version 01-09_0926. The new frequency buttons were forcing the current frequency to be whatever the currently selected button is set to. In the latest version, the button will only change the frequency when pressed. P25 conventional is working now. Does that fix it?

btt

Banned
Banned
There were still issues with the frequency buttons. They have been removed in version 01-09_0946. They will be added back in after scanning support has been added (if they still make sense).

Vermonster

Totally understand need to have other priorities.
I only posted here as this is not a failure mode I had seen before and hoped maybe somebody had encountered before and had a solution.

In terms of last known good, 06_2359 had been running rock solid for several days.

I will test 09_0946 now.

Edit to add:
09_0946 installed without issue and Freq buttons are gone as expected (I don't think this update flashed device??).
But unfortunately still locking up at "Reading sys_config from P25RX device..."

Take your time. I've got plenty I'm supposed to be doing outdoors today before it goes below zero tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: btt

Vermonster

Finally had time to work on this issue (what else am I going to do at -14F).
After trying everything else, I did the button hold for 40 seconds on startup. That worked.
I'm assuming the sys_config file somehow became corrupted and the 40 second hold restored the file to factory state.

So if you have a device that gets stuck on reading sys_config in the status area, try this approach.

freqseeker

Running 01-18_1624 now.
I was having trouble at first, poor decode. I re-read your description several times until it sunk in. I was setting the calibrate VGA gain results in the AGC target box. Once it sunk in I entered it correctly with good results. AGC target is set to -30 and BB VGA Gain is set to 36 as per the calibrate VGA gain function. Very good decode and audio as usual.
Just giving feedback.VGAGain.png

btt

Banned
Banned
Running 01-18_1624 now.
I was having trouble at first, poor decode. I re-read your description several times until it sunk in. I was setting the calibrate VGA gain results in the AGC target box. Once it sunk in I entered it correctly with good results. AGC target is set to -30 and BB VGA Gain is set to 36 as per the calibrate VGA gain function. Very good decode and audio as usual.
Just giving feedback.
Thank you sir. Glad to see it is working for you!

kb8q

Premium Subscriber
I'm now running _0540 and the audio is still excellent. I don't notice any difference in the audio from _1624 to _0540. The audio is now so good, I'm fairly certain the variations I notice are coming from radios on the system and not the P25RX.

There is one difference after calibrating the VGA gain again. It was 21db with _1624 and the result with _0540 was 18db.

One question I do have is related to the slow, medium and fast options with the USB interface. I'm running it on slow. What would I notice if a higher speed is too fast?

James

Vermonster

With respect to USB interface speed. My observations on 3 different windows machines:
2 machines handle Fast without issue. Loading time of firmware and TG import/export is notably faster.
1 machine does not like Fast with firmware updates, but still benefits from Fast when doing talkgroup import/export. What I do when installing new firmware is select Slow at the first and subsequent prompts, up until the notice that firmware is updated and software will restart. When that restart happens, I select Fast to load TG & Alias files.

freqseeker

Running 01-21_1621.
Good decode as usual. I have noticed the constellation has shifted. I have lower than usual signal tonight, but may just be weather conditions. Voice channels show -92dBm.
I just noticed the control channel is now reporting P2. I'm pretty sure it was reporting P1 for a long time. A few posts above this shows P2.
Did they change the control channel type? I recall Todd making changes to decode P2 control channels a while back.

This is WSP Tacoma 700 simulcast site. No complaints, just trying to figure out if they changed CC type.
0121.png

btt

Banned
Banned
Running 01-21_1621.
Good decode as usual. I have noticed the constellation has shifted. I have lower than usual signal tonight, but may just be weather conditions. Voice channels show -92dBm.
I just noticed the control channel is now reporting P2. I'm pretty sure it was reporting P1 for a long time. A few posts above this shows P2.
Did they change the control channel type? I recall Todd making changes to decode P2 control channels a while back.

This is WSP Tacoma 700 simulcast site. No complaints, just trying to figure out if they changed CC type.
I think it is a bug that I need to fix. The $P25_MODE$ keyword is only updating on voice channels. So, your last voice call was probably a P2 transmission. I really doubt the control channel is P2 in this case. There is a new version available.

freqseeker

Running 01-22_2109 now. I will listen a little tonight and again tomorrow.
Yes when I start the software it reports CC as P1, and after voice shows P2. You are correct that this system is P2 voice.
Thanks.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The radio seems to have lost sensitivity again as it did during some of the firmware updates last month. Indicated RSSI is in the -90dBm range on a strong simulcast system (a control receiver connected to the same antenna via a Stridsberg amplified splitter is in the -45 to -50 dBm range.). Audio intelligibility and signal stability is good however, but the lack of sensitivity could be an issue when used in a mobile environment.

btt

Banned
Banned
The radio seems to have lost sensitivity again as it did during some of the firmware updates last month. Indicated RSSI is in the -90dBm range on a strong simulcast system (a control receiver connected to the same antenna via a Stridsberg amplified splitter is in the -45 to -50 dBm range.). Audio intelligibility and signal stability is good however, but the lack of sensitivity could be an issue when used in a mobile environment.
The RSSI should be pretty close to reality with current firmware. Can you please post a screen cap of the advanced and signal insights tab? Or email them. Also, be sure to select the LSM demodulation on the P25RX Configuration tab since you are monitoring a simulcast system.