Parsippany/Troy Hills P25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansky

I will say one thing. Looking back at Sean's files from his work on this, they are going to have one hell of a solid coverage area. On the road at least. Inside various structures is to be seen as always.

I agree, once site 4 gets up and running this thing should be a blowtorch. I just hope they get enough signal out to the east so I can pick them up in West Orange.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Parsippany did buy a bunch of APX gear. I do not know if they have enough for all agencies though.

The question too is when did they buy it. If it was bought for this system, then obviously the additional work still applies. If previously in service it'll cut some of the time down. But obviously I'm preaching to the choir. 😛

Last edited:

K2NEC

Seems like PD have been using APX6000 model 1.5's for quite a while. Over a year now. When they actually got them I'm not sure.

FD are using APX6000XE with XE500 mics.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Seems like PD have been using APX6000 model 1.5's for quite a while. Over a year now. When they actually got them I'm not sure.

FD are using APX6000XE with XE500 mics.

Thanks David. That certainly makes life easier and time slightly shorter for a police transition, but they still have to be programmed. However if fire were to change over, they would need new 700/800 radios acquired, programmed, and installed, and time to do so.

I think the January time frame touted by the elected officials in the media is probably accurate and reasonable. Particularly if they find any coverage issues inside structures.

ansky

I see that this new system was added to the database, but when I updated my DB in Sentinel this afternoon it is not showing up. Is that because there are no TGs yet?

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I see that this new system was added to the database, but when I updated the DB in Sentinel this afternoon it is not showing up. Is that because there are no TGs yet?

Yes. Sentinel won't display systems from the database without talkgroups. You'll need to add the system manually in Sentinel and add a couple of dummy talkgroups with ID Search enabled. If you don't add the dummy talkgroups your radio won't scan the system, it will error "Nothing To Scan".

K2NEC

Thanks David. That certainly makes life easier and time slightly shorter for a police transition, but they still have to be programmed. However if fire were to change over, they would need new 700/800 radios acquired, programmed, and installed, and time to do so.

I think the January time frame touted by the elected officials in the media is probably accurate and reasonable. Particularly if they find any coverage issues inside structures.
I wonder if their radios have the old conventional stuff programmed in them and the new system programmed into like a "future" zone. That way when the time comes and the system is built out, they can just change zones and already be on the new system (and still have the same conventional P25 channels that they were dispatched on as a backup). Considering they only have 96 channels to work with (6 zones) I imagine the system won't be too large TG wise.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if their radios have the old conventional stuff programmed in them and the new system programmed into like a "future" zone.

Looking back in the license admin files, the original authorization was June 2018, which I hadn't realized. With the year or so ago you said PD began using APX6000's, that's absolutely a plausible possibility.

K2NEC

Looking back in the license admin files, the original authorization was June 2018, which I hadn't realized. With the year or so ago you said PD began using APX6000's, that's absolutely a plausible possibility.
I wish I lived closer to the area or knew anyone on PPD that way I could get a definitive answer.
If I am right though, there has to be at least 1 officer that will get curious about the new zone and will switch over and affiliate. If/when that happens, hopefully someone logs the RID
Thanks David.
Call me Dave :)

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
You should be able to hear them in West Orange. The Powder Mill site on the Water tank up on Mt Watnong gets out well. I can hit a site below that on Gates Court from WO.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I wish I lived closer to the area or knew anyone on PPD that way I could get a definitive answer.
If I am right though, there has to be at least 1 officer that will get curious about the new zone and will switch over and affiliate. If/when that happens, hopefully someone logs the RID

Call me Dave :)

Unitrunker is running at another family member's home in Morris County. It's being monitored Dave. ;)

You should be able to hear them in West Orange. The Powder Mill site on the Water tank up on Mt Watnong gets out well. I can hit a site below that on Gates Court from WO.

Sean said he had the Pameroy Drive subsite most of the way up to the Powder Mill Road tank which wasn't online yet. But even with just the two online he was receiving a decodable control signal on NJ-24 well into Florham Park. It really seems like they're gonna have one hell of a flamethrower on their hands once they're all up.

08GMC4X4

Police, Fire, EMS, DPW, Water Dept, Parks & Forestry, Sewer Dept, Animal Control will all have their own channels. There will also be two encrypted Police Channels. Police will be in the clear for routine dispatch/operations.

There are two fire districts in town that are fighting to stay with the county. My understanding is they are not happy with the dialogue between the township and the fire districts. Apparently, the mayors office/township has not been keeping the district chiefs in the “loop” with a definitive roll out date etc.

RocketNJ

As far as 96 channels, 96 should be plenty for their normal discipline plus operations and ITAC channels.

If I were doing the fleetmap for the system I would NOT have PD channels in fire or EMS radios. Reason would be the temptation to be listening to one channel while you should be monitoring your own channel. So we will see how they program the radios.

I’ll see if I can hear the system at my location over the hill. If so, I can set up a receiver to log TGs.

ansky

I'm on the eastern slope of West Orange, facing NYC, so signals from the west are always tough to pull in. I am not able to pull in the control channel with the 2 sites that are currently on air. I'm hoping Site 4 is tall enough to overcome the terrain. Curious to see what happens once that comes on air.

K2NEC

As far as 96 channels, 96 should be plenty for their normal discipline plus operations and ITAC channels.

If I were doing the fleetmap for the system I would NOT have PD channels in fire or EMS radios. Reason would be the temptation to be listening to one channel while you should be monitoring your own channel. So we will see how they program the radios.
I agree

EDIT: Now that I think about it...does anyone else think that they might also have access to NJICS TG's such as StateCom and UASI?

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I agree

EDIT: Now that I think about it...does anyone else think that they might also have access to NJICS TG's such as StateCom and UASI?

Very, very possible. Morris County Communications does, as do various other agencies/counties in the state.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
If I were doing the fleetmap for the system I would NOT have PD channels in fire or EMS radios. Reason would be the temptation to be listening to one channel while you should be monitoring your own channel.

That's what Intelligent Priority is for. Some times I think you guys are still programming Micors.......

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you're only scanning talkgroups of the same system, Priority Monitor scan is what you want. Assuming the talkgroups are setup for priority in the system itself, otherwise it won't matter how the radios are programmed.

RocketNJ

If you're only scanning talkgroups of the same system, Priority Monitor scan is what you want. Assuming the talkgroups are setup for priority in the system itself, otherwise it won't matter how the radios are programmed.

i don’t think I got my point across correctly. Some agencies do not want certain disciplines to hear each other unless directed to a common operations channel. It has nothing to do with priority but more to do with keeping people focused on what they should be listening to. No need for EMS that serves one area to hear PD calls from a different area. Same goes with road department not needing to hear EMS traffic, etc. Make sense now?

If Parsippany bought multiband radios then they will probably want County stuff programmed in for interoperability along with repeated and simplex ITAC and/or UTAC channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.