Patty Duke Show - Ham Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2MR

I stumbled across "The Patty Duke show" before and noticed that her younger brother Ross has what appears to be shortwave/ham radio equipment is his bedroom. Has anyone else noticed this?

W2MR

Could be. It was in the background slightly out of focus and for a short time.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
What was the name of the episode so we can look at it ?

That particular episode originally aired on October 30th, 1963, smack in the middle of SWL/amateur radio popularity, so it's entirely possible it's either. Can you get a screen shot?

As for CB, it was around, but to my understanding, it was more of a lite-version commercial and personal service, not the "smokey and the bandit" popularity it achieved in the early-to-mid 70s. I don't think it would have offered a teenager much at the time, but I could be wrong.

W2MR

Thank You. Interesting.

I can't find that episode on the Internet.

Thank You. Interesting.

I can't find that episode on the Internet.
Mark, it's on Hulu Plus. I used to have that at home, but I discontinued the subscription last year.

There really is an 8 Remsen Street in Brooklyn Heights, though. It's on the left of a cul de sac that stares directly into lower Manhattan and Governors Island. It's a 6 story brick multiple dwelling. A real Ross Lane might be able to string a dipole or a random length wire on the roof and have a pretty good shot at DX, especially back then. Maybe even put up a 6 meter squalo for his brand new Heathkit Sixer.

TheSpaceMan

That particular episode originally aired on October 30th, 1963, smack in the middle of SWL/amateur radio popularity, so it's entirely possible it's either. Can you get a screen shot?

As for CB, it was around, but to my understanding, it was more of a lite-version commercial and personal service, not the "smokey and the bandit" popularity it achieved in the early-to-mid 70s. I don't think it would have offered a teenager much at the time, but I could be wrong.
Actually CB began to take off around 1964-65, and lots of kids began getting them around that time. Lafayette and Radio Shack were selling a good number of tube radios and base antennas back then, as evidenced by the number of radios listed in their catalogues. The big leap with CB began with the advent of transistorized radios in the late '60s, and the ease of which they could then be installed in cars and trucks.

wd8dsb

Paty Duke Show

My wife commented today (April 13, 2016) that the Paty Duke show that Frankie Avalon made a guest appearance in did in fact mention Ham Radio. In this show the brother of Paty Duke made reference to his "Ham Radio".

Just FYI,
Don (wd8dsb)

Status
Not open for further replies.