Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeB

I am looking to see which power supply to buy (manufacturer, # of amps, etc.) I am extremely new to the power supply arena so I know very little.

What manufacturer do you suggest?

I am trying to calculate how many amps I'm going to need. I am looking to power about 6-7 radios (scanners, 2 ways for receive only, radio chargers). On the wall warts, some say 700mA, 800mA, etc. Does this equal 700 amp draw and 800 amp draw respectively?

I was kicking around which avenue to go. If all the above is correct, my figures equate to 38 amps of draw between all of my radio's. Would that mean that a 40 amp power supply would be sufficient? Would it be recommended to go with (2) 20 amp power supplies or go with (1) power supply that will cover my 38 amp draw?

TIA

38 amps is a lot of current for receive only applications. You need to look at the particular radio specification for the current requirement, not what the wall power supply states. Check the rated supply voltage for all devices, some scanners may be rated at 6 volts, some maybe 9 volts, etc. BTW 1 amp = 1000 ma

Last edited:

LukeB

I thought it was high but I am not well versed in this area. How do I convert the volts to determine the # of amps I need in a power supply?

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
What's the benefit of running your radio's off of an amp vs. plugging it into a power strip that comes out of a main wall outlet?

LukeB

I'm doing it b/c I have too many wall warts and not enough sockets which eventually creates a fire hazard. I am not sure how much the power supply will draw in total (im sure it depends on the size of the power supply) but I'm using it to clean up my wiring and prevent a fire...lol

N

N_Jay

I'm doing it b/c I have too many wall warts and not enough sockets which eventually creates a fire hazard. I am not sure how much the power supply will draw in total (im sure it depends on the size of the power supply) but I'm using it to clean up my wiring and prevent a fire...lol

Just buy one of those funky octopus adapters.

Or get an outlet strip designed for wall warts.

Personally I use the tall "T" taps to make room for wall warts.

Attachments

• yhst-25796116032680_2026_19397760.gif
    yhst-25796116032680_2026_19397760.gif
    5.4 KB · Views: 226

LukeB

I have at least 6 radios that need to be plugged in. I had a power strip and for a day, I piggy backed another power strip to power the scanners. I have since removed the 2nd power strip for obvious reasons.

I need an alternative to power everything up and the power supply was the 1st notion. I am open ears for any other idea's...

N

N_Jay

I have at least 6 radios that need to be plugged in. I had a power strip and for a day, I piggy backed another power strip to power the scanners. I have since removed the 2nd power strip for obvious reasons.

I need an alternative to power everything up and the power supply was the 1st notion. I am open ears for any other idea's...

What are the "obvious reasons"?

LukeB

Having 1 power strip loaded with wall warts than piggy backing a 2nd power strip loaded with wall warts is quite the fire hazard, no? Plus I had 2 or 3 sockets on the strips blocked b/c the wall warts were too big. I have scanners, 2 way radio's (no transmit), chargers and powered amplifiers for pagers plugged in. These all plug into the same circuit as my 2 computers, monitors, printer, etc.

Wiring assorted scanners and radios incorrectly to a high current power supply may result in the rapid expulsion of smoke from said device(s). The potential of a fire is much less with a few wall warts ( the overall power consumption is a few watts each); also some devices may have the chassis at a positive potential which could create a short if another device has a negative chassis.

N

N_Jay

Having 1 power strip loaded with wall warts than piggy backing a 2nd power strip loaded with wall warts is quite the fire hazard, no?
No!

Plus I had 2 or 3 sockets on the strips blocked b/c the wall warts were too big.
So?

I have scanners, 2 way radio's (no transmit), chargers and powered amplifiers for pagers plugged in. These all plug into the same circuit as my 2 computers, monitors, printer, etc.
Total load is all that really matters.

Try a commercial outlet strip (the kind the go on work benches and the outlets are far apart.), or an outlet strip with one of those cube taps in every other outlet.

That is usually good for 6 to 9 wall warts.

shaft

In a perfect world, you should probably run those on two different circuits. Since a lot of homes are built with multiple rooms piggy backed on the same circuit, it might be difficult to do.

The circuit you have all of this plugged into, is probably connected to a 15a circuit breaker, might even be a 20a. Calculate the draw from all the wall warts, plus the power supplies on your computers, monitors etc to see if you are near the limit of the circuit.

LukeB

I have a power supply for a Motorola radio that ultimately plugs in to the wall. Other than that, I don't have any 2 way radio's that plug into a power strip. Sorry for the confusion.

I never had to worry about having more than 4 radios or so plugged in and working at the same time but now that I do, I was concerned I was going to overload the circuit, power strip, etc. Like I mentioned, I am not very savvy with the power consumption of these radio's. I am still learning and I will definitely look into a work bench power strip as this may be a lot cheaper than a power supply. Mind you, I also have my monitors, modem, router, computers, speakers and a printer all plugged in and sharing the same power strips as the strips powering the radio's. These are all plugged into 2 outlets on the same line.

At one point is there too much being run off the same power strip or socket? I'm sure I can have too many radio's plugged in but when does it become too much to be concerned with? How do you folks have your radio rooms set up?

Thanks for the suggestions. Had I known this, I wouldnt have started the thread. When my house burns, I'll send you the bill N_Jay...lol only kidding.

N

N_Jay

You really can't have "too many things" plugged in, but you can draw too much current.

Most of the stuff you are talking about take almost no current at all.

You are more likely to have fire due to a cord wearing through or being pinched under the leg of a table or chair then due to an over current situation.

LukeB

You really can't have "too many things" plugged in, but you can draw too much current.

Most of the stuff you are talking about take almost no current at all.

You are more likely to have fire due to a cord wearing through or being pinched under the leg of a table or chair then due to an over current situation.

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the advice and knowledge. Any recommendations on which commercial power strip to go with?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am trying to calculate how many amps I'm going to need. I am looking to power about 6-7 radios (scanners, 2 ways for receive only, radio chargers). On the wall warts, some say 700mA, 800mA, etc. Does this equal 700 amp draw and 800 amp draw respectively?

TIA

700mA + 800mA = 1500mA (or 1.5 amps)

Most single home 120VAC outlets and power strips are rated, and protected for up to 15 amps (or 15,000mA)

LukeB

700mA + 800mA = 1500mA (or 1.5 amps)

Most single home 120VAC outlets and power strips are rated, and protected for up to 15 amps (or 15,000mA)

That explains a ton. I had a misunderstanding of how mA translated to amps. Glad the draw is no where near what i thought...lol saves me a lot of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.