• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

President mobile CB radios - Professional, polished and serious radios for the 11-meter band

slowmover

Most of the amateur radios I used to listen on CB have really good DSP noise reduction built right into the radio. Of course I would never transmit there with an amateur radio. Oh wait, I hear someone calling on 38 LSB through my Icom 7100, gotta answer that!

As I’ve related previously, I bought a 100W Yaesu ft450d awhile back.

To think of a comparable CB + amp + DSP in dollar terms means the CB radio (new) shouldn’t greatly exceed $250.

The 450 plus a Kenwood KES-5 speaker (my cost of each; used) isn’t very far above $500.

A new Lincoln or Anytone 6666 is right at $250.

FPR1981

Yours is the first where I’ve seen a report of the KL-200 (vs the common KL-203). Glad for that. Sorry it isn’t sold here. 12A demand.

I wanted a bit more than what a KL-203 offered (75W, actual). The step to a KL-7405 involved physical size & amp draw a bit more than what I felt necessary (based on a great deal of big truck use with a particular antenna system), butI can make it work.

That 200 is at a sweet spot for size, demand & power output.

I bought the KL-200P because I wanted a KL-203P, but it was out of stock. The KL-200P costs about 25 bucks more, for some reason, but is only swinging about 125 watts -- whereas the KL-203P hits closer to the 200 mark. I think I've seen about 185.

I own both of them, now. I also own a couple KL-35s. I am getting an almost 50-watt swing out of the KL-35 in my wife's pilot with a Realistic TRC-422A, using a Hustler magnet mount. A friend of mine with an indoor dipole is using a KL-35, and talking to a station two miles away, he jumped from 5 swinging toward a 7 to a solid 10 swinging 15 or so.

I am not familiar with the KL-7405. I would like to try the KL-503 though.

Right now, having the Tram 3500 center roof on my tall Chevy pickup, with the KL-200P, it sounds like I'm on a decent base rig to stations within a 5 mile radius of town. I'm going to do some more specific range testing this weekend.

prcguy

The only President I had was an HR-2510 when they first came out and I was not impressed. The radio lasted about a month until I dumped it.

The best matched CB/amplifier combo I have is a Stryker SR-94HPC running on high power into an SGC-500 amplifier. The radio on AM keys down at 10 watts and under peak modulation its 40 watts, the perfect 6dB increase during modulation. The amplifier then puts out 125 watts carrier and 500 watts under full modulation and is completely linear and transparent. You cant tell its on except for the signal getting much bigger. The SGC amp is not a junk CB amp, its got 8 2SC2290s, lots of protection circuits and will do a good 700 watts on lower HF amateur bands and runs fine down to about 11 volts just fine keeping full output. It will also do full output power all day long with the optional fan kit.

I bought the KL-200P because I wanted a KL-203P, but it was out of stock. The KL-200P costs about 25 bucks more, for some reason, but is only swinging about 125 watts -- whereas the KL-203P hits closer to the 200 mark. I think I've seen about 185.

I own both of them, now. I also own a couple KL-35s. I am getting an almost 50-watt swing out of the KL-35 in my wife's pilot with a Realistic TRC-422A, using a Hustler magnet mount. A friend of mine with an indoor dipole is using a KL-35, and talking to a station two miles away, he jumped from 5 swinging toward a 7 to a solid 10 swinging 15 or so.

I am not familiar with the KL-7405. I would like to try the KL-503 though.

Right now, having the Tram 3500 center roof on my tall Chevy pickup, with the KL-200P, it sounds like I'm on a decent base rig to stations within a 5 mile radius of town. I'm going to do some more specific range testing this weekend.

jhooten

Its been a few years but when I bought my 980 they were running around $119 new.

$140 ish on Amazon or Walmart. Cheapest I've found one:

FPR1981

The only President I had was an HR-2510 when they first came out and I was not impressed. The radio lasted about a month until I dumped it.

The best matched CB/amplifier combo I have is a Stryker SR-94HPC running on high power into an SGC-500 amplifier. The radio on AM keys down at 10 watts and under peak modulation its 40 watts, the perfect 6dB increase during modulation. The amplifier then puts out 125 watts carrier and 500 watts under full modulation and is completely linear and transparent. You cant tell its on except for the signal getting much bigger. The SGC amp is not a junk CB amp, its got 8 2SC2290s, lots of protection circuits and will do a good 700 watts on lower HF amateur bands and runs fine down to about 11 volts just fine keeping full output. It will also do full output power all day long with the optional fan kit.

The HR2510 has low modulation with the factory microphone. But a simple tweak and a power microphone improves that greatly.

I have both the HR2510 and the Emperor TS-5010. The Emperor is clearly the superior radio, but my HR is reliable and sounds good.

As for my big box, I have a Dave Made with 8 Toshibas. If you drive it with something like the Thunderbolt 101, 1.6 kw is not unrealistic. Driving it with 4 watts or less keys down at about 150 watts and swings 450 to 500, depending. It sounds amazing on low drive.

prcguy

The HR-2510 receiver was lacking in my opinion. You can make most radios sound ok on transmit but if the receiver is not up to the task its a lost cause.

The HR2510 has low modulation with the factory microphone. But a simple tweak and a power microphone improves that greatly.

I have both the HR2510 and the Emperor TS-5010. The Emperor is clearly the superior radio, but my HR is reliable and sounds good.

As for my big box, I have a Dave Made with 8 Toshibas. If you drive it with something like the Thunderbolt 101, 1.6 kw is not unrealistic. Driving it with 4 watts or less keys down at about 150 watts and swings 450 to 500, depending. It sounds amazing on low drive.

FPR1981

I find it to be no better or no worse than any other mainstream consumer-end radio I own, and I currently have three of them in my possession. One of the three belongs to my friend, but I got it for them.

But no radio in my collection can match the RX on my SBE Trinidad. My old 135 XLR is close, but the receive on my Trinidad is warm, clear and I hear distant stations better than any other radio I own.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I could give you the same disingenuous BS that self-righteous people gave me when I dared to modify my Kenwood for use on GMRS, adhering to the proper power output levels, and no one being able to find out any different :D
If they cared enough, they could. Read up on transmitter fingerprinting.

KD8DVR

How does the Cobra brand compare to the President series of CB radios? Back in the day Cobra used to be the best brand you could get. Has that changed now in 2021?
President *has* to be better.... new design. Plus all reports say the audio is phenomenal on transmit. Many more features that any other Part 95 CB.

slowmover

I have heard about that transmit audio. President doesn't make base stations?

“Base stations” pretty well disappeared. It’s a mobile inside a case with a power supply and cheap speaker.

Find the mobile you want, add a power supply and be done.

I bought my son a McKinley. For mobile. He wants to use it in the house I included an ALINCO DM-30 I found on sale.

And, as any CB or Export radio needs digital signal processing, a West Mountain Radio CLEARSPEECH DSP Speaker.

The “convenience” may not be present at first, but there are racks or cases or DIY solutions to putting things together conveniently and pleasingly. And the modularity to swap these components for others.

Occasionally a “new” base shows up. There were some RCI-69 last year. High priced for the privilege. Soon sold out. Year before was a $995 Ranger 2995 of which I’d have said the same.

Much easier to put together what one likes with top quality gear and some trouble to get it right than overpay for “a panel”.

It’s the way things are for now.

Last edited:

arudlang

Newer Presidents aren't for your noise-toy-loving, whip-on-the-rusted-out-Delta-88-bumper redneck CB crew. They're laid out like a piece of equipment with just the right extras, intelligent controls, they look professional and they sound good.

I agree, just ordered a president "bill" that I stumbled across a great deal on (so good I'm almost not going to believe my luck until its actually shipped and in my greedy hands! Don't ask, I bought the very last one, sold out, I would have bought several if I could)

On my 1999 Honda CRV with 301,000+ miles an inexpensive uniden with no features tied to a $20 roadpro fiberglass antenna is fine and dandy, and call it a day.

The bar is set a little higher for my wife's fully loaded 2020 Jeep Cherokee. I want to have a CB in that car, its our main road-trip vehicle, but a husband does not just go gob a $35 uniden and a $20 fiberglass antenna on his wife's $40k car, right? :LOL: To get the approval to put a CB in her car, it has to be a nice looking and unobtrusive unit and the same goes for the antenna. You didn't really touch on antennas in your first post but President Electronics is one of the only brands I see making an actual attempt to produce low profile, nice looking CB antennas that blend in better with modern cars. They have two short 1/4 wave antennas which, no doubt, will never perform like a 102 inch steel whip BUT if they work decently for their size, and don't detract from the aesthetics of the car, its a big win in our book.

Now ideally a radio installed in the nicer car that she mainly drives is not just in the car for my benefit on road trips. I'd like for her to use it as well even if I'm not in the car. For her to want to use it, it has to be well designed and easy to use. President shines in this area as well.

The "Bill" radio I ordered is almost impossibly small and compact compared to traditional radios, small enough that I can surly find a nice spot for it on a modern dash of her nice car and not draw her ire every time she looks at it. She actually loves mods for her car that make it look more adventurous and off-roady, but they have to at least match somewhat aesthetically and not be obtrusive. I'd say the President model "Bill" hits that nail on the head. Small, with straightforward controls, adjustable LCD colors to match the car, and easy to use. I truly believe that the automatic squelch is the saving grace that will get her to actually use the radio. Without that, she would listen to probably about 10 seconds of the static and shut it right off. Fussing with manual squelch and/or listening to continuous static is going to be a no-go for lots of people with only a marginal interest. President seems to know this and looks to have automatic squelch standard on virtually every CB they make.

So with a President "Bill" installed I can tell her to simply turn on the volume and leave the squelch on auto and that's it. Use the radio. Channel up/down controls right on the mic and nothing else to fuss with. Press the weather button if you want to listen to some forecast for a while. No array of 20 other buttons across the face to cause confusion. Just leave the ANL and NB on all the time.

President makes nice, simple, quality radios for people who don't even care that much, and I think it's awesome because that's how I'm going to get a few more people "into CB". For what you're getting with a "Bill" model they aren't even charging that much. Still can't believe I snagged one bundled with the Wyoming UP Magnetic antenna for $69. Oops, did I say that out loud? Better not jinx it! Like I said I'll fully believe it when its actually shipped and delivered, but I just stumbled across it on walmart.com of all places while researching, with one left in stock, ordered as fast as my little fingers could go!

Don't get me wrong, I really like my Uniden 980SSB. That has been an awesome radio so far. But I'm using it as a base station at home. Its a fairly bulky unit with a kinda cheesy chrome faceplate and there is, according to my wife, no place for something like that on the dash of an all black-on-black-on-black blacked-out inside blacked-out outside 2020 Jeep Cherokee with the "High Altitude" package... :rolleyes: The car is sleek and sleek it must stay!

I'm really looking forward to installing that P. Bill setup in our... I mean, her Cherokee. If walmart contacts me saying there was a mistake and they cannot ship me the bundled P. Bill radio with the Wyoming UP antenna and they refund me the $69, I'll turn around and order those at regular price and still feel like its well worth it. We do lots of road trips in that car, often in caravan with other cars of friends or family who I can loan mobile handheld units with magnetic centerloads and we'll all have a great time chatting on for miles on end :D plus chatting with truckers and getting weather and road updates and all that other good stuff.

But no doubt anyone of my friends or family who show interest in CB radio when they see me messing with it, President is the brand I'm most likely to recommend and 9 times out of 10 it will probably be the compact P. Bill specifically as a starting point.