PRO 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Anyone ever have the this problem?Went to check for updates CPU, and DSP (I know , pointless, but you never know).

uP Bootver: REF 1.0
uP App ver: none
CPU SW UPGRADE:
Waiting for USB

Pretty sure it was 1.3, and 1.0 versions before.

It wont power down (inserting the USB did nothing). I even took all the batteries out for 5 mins. to try and reset it. Still nothing. Any suggestions?? Mike

Haley

Thanks DJ11DLN, that was the problem-------back in business! I think had "update confusion syndrome", I was doing my 668, then went to the 18----slightly different process. Surprised I haven't done that before. I have all the easier read scanner manuals (for the models I own) saved in several places----they are a real life saver many times. Thanks again, Mike

DJ11DLN

No problem, glad to be of help. When it happened to mine I spent about 2 hours attempting to get the update to reinstall the firmware and was beginning to think I somehow really had bricked it, which is just about impossible with these units. Turned out all I needed to do was reboot my computer as Windoze was having some kind of a conniption, big surprise there.:roll: First attempt after that and it was all good again. So I understand the stress you were probably under.

Great scanners -- too bad they're orphans now. But I will run mine till we start getting a lot of p.2 here, been very happy with my Pro-18.

Haley

Great scanners -- too bad they're orphans now. But I will run mine till we start getting a lot of p.2 here, been very happy with my Pro-18.
You got that right! As much as I would like to have NXDN, and DMR on them, for what I paid----best scanners I have ever had. Both brand new---------$70 for the 18, and $170 for the 668. For less than $250 combined -------you will NEVER hear me say a bad word about either! As much as like my Uniden models---none of them could compare speaker wise to the GRE/Whistler/RS scanners. Mike

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Make your pro 18 a whistler 1080. See the pro 668 forum for details.

scosgt

PRO18 upgrades perfectly. Only thing you don't have is the LED>
Exact same process.

Haley

Hey guys, I wasn't even going to post anything. Since I have both the 18 and 668, I figured for the $70 brand new I paid for the 18 I would try the upgrade on it. It had the most to gain from the upgrade, and the least to lose (money wise) if it didn't for me. It works flawless, better than before. I have both Phase 1 and 2 systems here, and several DMR systems, including a couple tier 3. The 18 works great on all of these systems for those interested. I can't thank Eric enough, great work!

Almost 3 years ago there was a small group of us on here questioning just exactly why couldn't the Pro 18 be upgraded, MANY people said it couldn't. It took Don Starr himself to post that yes it could---it just hadn't been granted the updates. I held out hope, and here we are. I still think that the Pro 18 was probably the most short lived (and short changed) RS model to ever be made. I actually wish the 668 had the rubber case of the 18 , it just feels so much better in the hand. I could go on, but again thank you Eric! Mike

Haley

Thought I would add this. By playing around with the Whistler firmware, at least for me anyway, I am really thinking I am going to go ahead and get the TRX 1. In a roundabout way, Eric may just help to sell more models with this "upgrade". I want (need) NXDN I listen to a lot of RR traffic, lots of Union Pacific here. Plus I just really like the design of the "bricks" , I mean that in a sincere way. Everyone have a Merry Christmas today, Mike

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I considered the Pro-18, but got the PSR-800 instead years ago because it had more features. It is too bad that Radio Shack went into bankruptcy and ended up reducing support on the scanners they sold. I would not buy a scanner from Radio Shack.

I could be affecting sales, but the WS-1080 is discontinued. I think the TRX-1 is the model to get over the WS-1088. The WS-1080/1088 will only have bug fixes, like was done with the PSR-800. All the new features and modes will be added to the TRX-1/TRX-2.

So I do not feel as bad, because there are still major reasons to get a TRX-1/TRX-2. It would be very different if it was possible to make the Pro-18 the equivalent of a TRX-1. I can understand Whistler not liking me for figuring out some of their secrets, and making it possible to add features on older models. I try to be respectful. I am glad I was able to figure out how to move the firmware without totally releasing the firmware protection scheme. DSLR and Router manufacturers are not as fortunate.

I am surprised at the response my small utility generated. I consider it more of an experiment that interested scanner hobbyists would do. Maybe it is because Radioreference has a good share of scanner hobbyists.

73 Eric

Haley

I agree with you Eric. The only reason I ended up with the 18 and 668, were the prices I paid for them. Less than $250 total brand new. And I knew what I was getting when I bought them. I was very happy with them, even without the support and the "EC Special edition Upgrade", we have to call it something right? Again can't thank you enough for supporting these orphans.

I have looked at the 1080/1088 before, and at this point----I really see no point, other than they can be gotten for a decent price now. But the TRX 1 is the way to go----for not much more$ you get the support, and future expansions and upgrades. And honestly , they seem to really listen and communicate with the members on the forums. I like that.

I agree with you on the older non-supported models, those were my thoughts also. They aren't going to hurt Whistler-----I think they will help sell more TRX 1 in the long run. I for one am going to get one this week, because of your utility. Mike

trp2525

...I actually wish the 668 had the rubber case of the 18 , it just feels so much better in the hand...

I know it's not exactly the same as it adds additional size around the perimeter of the underlying scanner case, but for $29.95 (plus shipping) you can purchase a Whistler rubber case that is marketed/advertised for the Whistler WS1080, WS1088 and TRX-1 but it also perfectly fits the Radio Shack PRO-18, PRO-668 and GRE PSR-800: https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...oducts/scanner-case-for-trx-1-and-ws1080-1088

Haley

I know it's not exactly the same as it adds additional size around the perimeter of the underlying scanner case, but for $29.95 (plus shipping) you can purchase a Whistler rubber case that is marketed/advertised for the Whistler WS1080, WS1088 and TRX-1 but it also perfectly fits the Radio Shack PRO-18, PRO-668 and GRE PSR-800: https://whistlergroup.com/collectio...oducts/scanner-case-for-trx-1-and-ws1080-1088

Thanks for the link-----will look into it for sure! Another potential sale for Whistler, every bit helps, right?! Mike

DJ11DLN

The only reason I chose the Pro-18 over the PSR-800 was price...RS was dumping them and the 800, also out of production by then, was bringing a premium. Didn't get it as cheap as Haley did but still a pretty good savings. Same deal when I bought that 668, $125 on closeout about 18 months ago, IIRC. Likewise bought my 197 and 651 for far less ($88 for the 197, not going to admit how cheap I got the 651...single digits, LOL) than retail. I'm on less of a budget now so I can start seriously thinking about a TRX.

Off-topic maybe, but does anyone else wonder if maybe there was a typo somewhere that nobody caught resulting in the Pro-18 model number? Logically it would have been the Pro-108, methinks...successor to the Pro-106 and more capable brother to the Pro-107...or maybe I am just strung out from too much Christmas celebration and my mind is playing tricks.:roll:

Haley

The only reason I chose the Pro-18 over the PSR-800 was price...RS was dumping them and the 800, also out of production by then, was bringing a premium. Didn't get it as cheap as Haley did but still a pretty good savings. Same deal when I bought that 668, $125 on closeout about 18 months ago, IIRC. Likewise bought my 197 and 651 for far less ($88 for the 197, not going to admit how cheap I got the 651...single digits, LOL) than retail. I'm on less of a budget now so I can start seriously thinking about a TRX.

Off-topic maybe, but does anyone else wonder if maybe there was a typo somewhere that nobody caught resulting in the Pro-18 model number? Logically it would have been the Pro-108, methinks...successor to the Pro-106 and more capable brother to the Pro-107...or maybe I am just strung out from too much Christmas celebration and my mind is playing tricks.:roll:

That's pretty funny----I have always wondered that myself! The Pro18 made ZERO sense to me. I mean as far as logical numbers and patterns of radio models in the RS line up. Maybe there was a reason, but if anyone actually knows, it would be interesting to hear about. I always thought it should be the Pro108 also! So no, you are not alone. Mike

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Having dealt with marketing departments from an engineer's point of view, I am sometimes perplexed at how they come up with these names at times. Sometimes they make sense. I have suggested logical names at times only to be rejected.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.