PRO 2096-96 in our Ford Explorers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
Here' are the pictures of our 2003 and 2006 Ford Explorers...The 2003 has a new PRO 2096 thanks to John Coleman and our 2006 has a PRO 96....Each has a Delphi XM radio...

Scanning Northern Virginia and the Virginia State Police would not be possible without everyone's help in the Radio Reference databases......Thanks all....Tom M sends

Attachments

• HPIM5005.JPG
    HPIM5005.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,188
  • HPIM5008.JPG
    HPIM5008.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,179
  • HPIM5023.JPG
    HPIM5023.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,175
  • HPIM5025.JPG
    HPIM5025.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,163

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Really silly for Ford to put thefloor shifter in the 2006. That's one reason I won't buy one.

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the nice comments. The radio antennas on both Explorers for everyday urban listening are Window mounts like Radio Shack sells. When we take trips I use an older magnet mount 30-1200 antenna on the center of the roof which is no longer sold. The XM radio mount in the 2006 Explorer came in the Delphi MyFi box along with several other optional mounts.

I agree that Ford really dorked up a great OPEN area Explorer when they opted to move the shifter from the column to the floor.

By the way,,,here's a plug for John Coleman who is getting PRO 96 and 2096 scanners at a good discount. Give him a shout if you need a great digital scanner: CAarea2@aol.com

I ordered one from him on Saturday and it arrived on Tuesday by DHL. Plus no PRO 2096/96 is going to be good unless you use Don Starr's WIN96......

Cheers all,,,,,Tom M sends

hobbyhoser175

Tom, what is the brand of the cup holder mount for your Pro96 and where did you get it? I have a 03 explorer and like the look in the 06!

K4APR

Bentley said:
Yeah, really....whats up with that?

Anyways, nice install, looks great! What type of antenna did you choose?

Havis Sheild is making out like bandits on Ford's douchebag decision to put the shifter there. They have a full console replacement that has the cutout for the shifter and a built in compartment to hold about 4-5 devices using their custom cutout panels.

Already put a few in myself with some local PD units here in Roanoke.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Those are neat looking in their ads, but I've not seen one in person. Speaking of floor shifters, that's probably one reason I don't buy new cars.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
PRO 2096 Mounts in the 2003?

Tom-

First, let me say that those are two very nice, clean installs. Thanks for sharing them with us...

What are the mountings that you've used to fasten the 2096 to the storage space in the 2003? It looks like a set of brackets that replace the U-type mounting bracket. Were those custom or did you buy them somewhere? My wife has a similar open area in her car, and I'd love to mount a radio that way.

Thanks and best regards,

TJMeredith

Premium Subscriber
2003 Explorer Install

Mark,,

I was hoping the PRO 2096 would fit in the opening like its predecessor (Uniden BCT 8) did; however, the 2096 was a about 1/8 inch too wide. I simply found a piece of metal in the garage and cut it to go across the opening and used two small bolts and nuts to attached the Radio Shack provided Mobile mount to it. I attached the metal piece to the sides of the opening using double sided tape squares. So far all is holding in place quite nicely. Would have been even neater if the 2096 had fit in the hole....

Tom M sends

Tim-in-TX

Premium Subscriber
I had a 2001 "Exploder" for a few years. I really like the column shifts because it leaves a lot of room to add goodies on the "hump".

Status
Not open for further replies.