Pro-651: PRO 651

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevellefan

Premium Subscriber
Re: PRO-651 problems

I use the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna (# 20-283), and it does a really good job even on distant sites. Certainly does a lot better than the stock duck. I also use the ARC 500 to program, so maybe when you are manually entering something there is a certain parameter you are missing. Other than just being in a bad location, I don't know what else to tell you to try. I do have to say that my BCD 436 HP has a better sound quality over the entire range of frequencies (trunked, LTR and conventional) and the APCO 25 decodes seem a little cleaner.

Dan_M

Premium Subscriber
460.475 NAC:350 Conventional I tried Att., diferant antenna, and new location. My Uniden works fine.

KokomoScanner

Premium Subscriber
Stupid Charging Question:
instructions say to use 9 VDC 400 mA regulated power supply. I have a 9 VDC 300 mA regulated power supply from my Pro-96. Can i use that or do i need to get a new one?
Not electrically savvy!
~J~

k3ygc

the 25 percent shortage in current sounds significant. it won''t damage your device, but may not provide enough current to handle lighting and other functions. you can use any adapter with at least 400 ma ..the unit will draw only the current it needs. but do not use a higher VOLTAGE!

DJ11DLN

Stupid Charging Question:
instructions say to use 9 VDC 400 mA regulated power supply. I have a 9 VDC 300 mA regulated power supply from my Pro-96. Can i use that or do i need to get a new one?
Not electrically savvy!
~J~

This being a Pro-651 thread...not wanting to be rude but that's sort of a hijack. That said be sure it's a regulated supply, not a switching type, and as mentioned make sure the polarity and voltage are correct. Go as high as you want on amperage, it will only use what it needs, and a supply with too low of a rating may overheat and present a fire hazard. Good luck!

gorio1961

PRO-651 NOT charging my rechargeable batteries.

Just got a PRO-651, put four rechargeable batteries in, but the unit will not charge them... ideas?

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Just got a PRO-651, put four rechargeable batteries in, but the unit will not charge them... ideas?

http://forums.radioreference.com/ra...5-california-battery-charge-restrictions.html

Anyhow, it's universally recommended that you buy an external charger anyways. If you do a little searching, you can find many stories of battery meltdowns in the older Pro-106 units as they will happily keep sending current into the batteries regardless of how full they are.

there is a switch in the battery compartment. slide it to recharge position

This could also be the case. The manual doesn't seem to indicate one, but I don't own this particular unit.

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

there is a switch in the battery compartment. slide it to recharge position

No, sorry, the 651 uses separate battery holders, black for regular batteries (does not recharge), yellow for NiCad, NiMh, etc (does recharge). They connect to different contacts when in the case. If he's trying to use the black one, it won't charge.

But a better idea to get an external charger, gorio1961...too easy to ruin a good radio if a battery goes boom.:wink:

Batchief99

Can you program the PRO 651 with the RadioShack Scanner Programing Cable?

If so which program do I select for the download as the PRO651 isn't one of the options?

Septa3371CSX1

Can you program the PRO 651 with the RadioShack Scanner Programing Cable?

If so which program do I select for the download as the PRO651 isn't one of the options?

Yes the Pro 651 is able to be programmed via the Radio Shack Scanner Programming Cable. I use Win 500 for my programming needs - been using it since 2009 when I first got my Pro 106. I replaced it with the 651 earlier this year and use the same programming files for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.