Pro 97 error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

tboneman

Received a Pro 97 for Christmas. Have been trying to learn how to program it. Have Win 97. Finally was able to find a RS data cable. Before the cable, the scanner worked fine. It is used, and who ever had it first prrogrammed in a lot of police/fire channels, which I was able to listen to with no problem. Then I connected the data cable, and DL'd whatever was on the scanner and saved the file in Win97.

The reason for getting the scanner was so I can listen to Tinker Air Force base air traffic. Got the list of frequencies from this website, and tried to enter about 25 into Win97. Was able to do that but whether they were entered correctly or in the correct location I'm still not sure.

What I do know is, when I uploaded the data to the scanner, I no longer was able to hear anything. No sound except on the WX channels (loud and clear). So I opened the original data file I DL'd from the scanner, and re-up loaded it.

Still no sound but now I get an error message, All Channels Locked Out, and it won't scan.

Question, anybody know what command sequence I need to use to unlock all channels? I have the docs but there's no reference to 'all channels locked out'.

Appreciate.

Wes

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hello and welcome to RadioReference.com. One thing I'd like to mention first is that when you download to the PRO-97, it will overwrite anything already programmed in to the scanner. So if you have some things in there, and want to add more, you need (the first time) to download from the scanner, save the file, edit the file (save again) and upload the new file. I got the impression from reading your post that you may have just programmed some new frequencies with WIN97 thinking it would add to what was already in the scanner.

The 'all channels locked out' message can occur for several reasons. If everything in the scanner is erased, then there is nothing to scan. And when you press SCAN, you get the message. However, you can have stuff programmed, but if nothing is "turned on" you will still get the same message.

The typical error people make is a failure to enable banks in WIN97. They are check boxes on the setting page. But you don't have to fix it in WIN97 and re-upload to get the scanner working. When you press SCAN, and you get the message, press the number key associated with any bank where you've programmed frequencies.

It is also fairly easy to press a number key will carrying the scanner. Keep in mind the number keys, when pressed, toggle the banks on and off. And in order to be in scan mode, a bank must be selected which has channels programmed and are also not locked out. So if there is stuff locked out, you'll have to go to MAN mode to resolve that.

Good luck.

tboneman

Thanks for the comeback.

If Win97 is correct, then when I re-uploaded the original data dump from the scanner, there should be lots of stuff on the scanner. I'm still getting the 'all channels locked out' message, altho the weather channels continue to work, so I'm inclined to think there are frequencies in the scanner.

>>>>I got the impression from reading your post that you may have just programmed some new frequencies with WIN97 thinking it would add to what was already in the scanner.<<<<<

Actually what I did was add to the original download, then sent it back to the scanner (ie, the Tinker material). My thought was, the scanner would now have the original police/fire stuff plus what I added re: Tinker. And maybe it does. I just couldn't get it to scan.

>>>>When you press SCAN, and you get the message, press the number key associated with any bank where you've programmed frequencies.<<<<

Tried that...the scanner is turned on, and the 'all channels locked out' message is displayed. I pressed the zero number button. Nothing happened. There are frequencies/banks programmed on bank 0, 1 and 2, according to Win97.

Went to manual mode. I tried this yesterday, turning some frequencies/ channels on/off. So now when I go to Manual mode the screen says: top line: M181FM 0.00000, second line: pri att DLY lo+, third line: Bank 1 Channel 81.

How do I get to Bank 0 Channel 0 in Manual mode? Went to the settings/weather screen...you are right, Bank 2, where I added the Tinker material, was not enabled. I enabled it. Now I guess I have to re-save everything to, what, a new file name, or to the file I created when I added the Tinker stuff? Or does it matter? I understand saving to the old file name will overwrite it, but that's OK, as almost all of what's being saved is the same data. The only change at this point is, I enabled Bank 2.

Am I understanding this correctly? Sorry to take up so much of your time. If there is a doc file somebody wrote that explains how to do this stuff, I'd appreciate knowing where I can find it. I've been messing around computers for 25 years, and feel somewhat comfortable troubleshooting. But this little humbug is a different breed of cat. I suspect its like most new equipment, once you get used to it and work with it a while, things start to get easier. But right now, I'm clueless. Appreciate your help.

Wes

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
At least one of these banks need to be enabled. However, pressing any number on keyboard will toggle bank on or off.

Last edited:

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PRO-97 programming ....

Thanks for the comeback.
You are welcome. I note that someone posted a graphic of WIN97 for you. That is perfect. But all that shows is which BANKS are selected by default. After the download, as mentioned, you can toggle them on & off anyway, and the scanner remembers what was on each time it repowers.

You could still have individual channels LOCKED OUT. If none of the frequencies you programmed are unlocked, even though the associate bank is selected, the result is the same - nothing to scan.

Actually what I did was add to the original download, then sent it back to the scanner
Perfect.

I pressed the zero number button. Nothing happened. There are frequencies/banks programmed on bank 0, 1 and 2, according to Win97.
Press 1 to toggle bank 1 on and off, press 2 to toggle bank 2. But as I said, these banks need frequencies programmed that are not locked out!

Went to manual mode. I tried this yesterday, turning some frequencies/ channels on/off. So now when I go to Manual mode the screen says: top line: M181FM 0.00000, second line: pri att DLY lo+, third line: Bank 1 Channel 81.
Let's go through what the display is telling you. "M" means you are in manual mode. "181" means you are on channel 181 (that's in bank 1). 0.000 means the channel/frequency is NOT programmed.

How do I get to Bank 0 Channel 0 in Manual mode?
Press MAN 0 0 0 MAN and you'll be at channel 000. When in manual mode you can get to any channel by typing its 3 digit number and pressing MAN. Also, the UP key or pressing MAN will take you to the next channel. Pressing DOWN will take you to the previous channel.

Went to the settings/weather screen...you are right, Bank 2, where I added the Tinker material, was not enabled. I enabled it. Now I guess I have to re-save everything to, what, a new file name, or to the file I created when I added the Tinker stuff? Or does it matter?
If you saved the file to your hard disc, the data is there. Whether or not the bank is on or "enabled" has nothing to do with programming the bank.

If there is a doc file somebody wrote that explains how to do this stuff, I'd appreciate knowing where I can find it. I've been messing around computers for 25 years, and feel somewhat comfortable troubleshooting. But this little humbug is a different breed of cat. I suspect its like most new equipment, once you get used to it and work with it a while, things start to get easier. But right now, I'm clueless. Appreciate your help.
There are a ton of documents and places to get information. Google is your friend. If you do not have the User Manual, last time I checked it was available for download at RadioShack dot com (or here). But the manual is HORRIBLE. Look here for general info in the Wiki. Here for an 'easier to read' version of the manual.

tboneman

Pro97 error message

Many thanks, again for all your help. I have the RS version of the manual and, as you said, it's not much. Took a quick look (the DL'd it) at the 'easier to read' version. That's going to be a lot more help. Meanwhile, I have a dead slow running computer that needs some attention.
Later.

Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.