Pro-97 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenpo89

I have had a Pro-97 scanner for a while now and I have not used it much for the past few months. I pulled it out the other day and turned it on and very little happens as far as receiving signals. I was told by someone that they have just recently re-banded the frequencies in my area.
Is there anything that can be done to make my Pro-97 receive better or do I need a different scanner?
If I do need a new one, what ones will work for re-banded frequencies?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Pro-97

I have had a Pro-97 scanner for a while now and I have not used it much for the past few months. I pulled it out the other day and turned it on and very little happens as far as receiving signals. I was told by someone that they have just recently re-banded the frequencies in my area.
In many cases all you need to do is program the new frequencies and you'll be all set. You should let us know where you are and what specifically you are trying to monitor (state, county, agency, etc).

The PRO-97 will not trunk track frequencies if ALL of the following is true:
- You are trying to monitor an 800 MHz MOTOROLA type trunked radio system
- The system has been rebanded
- Some or all of the voice frequencies fit the format of 8xx.xxx0 MHz.

Is there anything that can be done to make my Pro-97 receive better or do I need a different scanner?
I am running a PRO-97 in addition to a lot of scanners. It works just as good, if not better than most of the scanners I use. But I do use external antennas both at home and when mobile.

If I do need a new one, what ones will work for re-banded frequencies?
If you are trying to monitor a rebanded Motorola trunked radio system, such as the one in Roseville California, the next generation scanner from the PRO-97 is the PSR-300. I use WIN97 to program both of these models.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Just to be clear- "re-banding" is a short way of saying "some or all of the frequencies in use by that system may have changed."

Look up your system. Look at the frequencies. See if they have changed from what's in your radio.

If they have changed then re-program your scanner to use the new frequencies. In some cases the frequencies might have moved to a range your scanner won't work on.

You'll probably need the owner's manual and some study time to figure this out.

If you'd posted what system you were having trouble with some kind soul could confirm or deny whether re-banding might be involved.

Kenpo89

I am trying to listen to 800MHz Motorola trunked system (the only one i know how to use) in Norther Utah. Most of the frequencies are working on the 800MHz system but they do not "track" very well. Some I can not even pick up, I just get "white noise" and some other weired sounds.

N8IAA

I am trying to listen to 800MHz Motorola trunked system (the only one i know how to use) in Norther Utah. Most of the frequencies are working on the 800MHz system but they do not "track" very well. Some I can not even pick up, I just get "white noise" and some other weired sounds.

Since Norther Utah covers a lot of space:) I'm going to take a wild stab at it.........Digital has come to Utah:( I'm adding this as an afterlthought, is it UCAN? If it is, it has rebanded, and is a mixed mode analog/digital trunked system. That is the only system other than military that you could be trying to monitor. As gmclam stated, the 97 doesn't do rebanded Motorola. Need to upgrade to something that does digital maybe.
Larry

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.