Pro 97 vs Pro 164 vs PSR 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireant

I did have a Pro 97 that was awesome however this evening came home from work and fell asleep to hear a loud crash. I awoke to find my wife had left the office door unlocked and my little boy had got in there and took my Pro 97 and was running from my wife as she was asking for the radio back and threw the radio on our tile floor. So now I have a broken Pro 97 will not power up took it apart attempted to fix it however its in multiple pieces internally as well. I was pretty upset have other radios however even though the Pro 97 is not re-band complaint its one of my favorite radios to listen to conventional stuff. I now want to replace the radio with either another Pro 97, a Pro 164 or a PSR 300. My wife was pretty upset and she told me that I could replace the radio. So my question is what is the best way to go? Any links to threads comparing the models? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fireant

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I've only had a PRO-164 for a few days, but so far I like it. I was leaning toward the PSR-300, but liked the idea of just heading over to RS to pick up the scanner as opposed to ordering one in. I almost bought a PRO-97, as RS had them in stock locally and they were down to $150, but then for $220 I got something that can handle rebanding.

My understanding is the PRO-164 essentially is a PSR-300, just with some cosmetic changes.

The only major complaint I have is the manual is almost worthless - but that applies to the PSR-300 manual as well, I downloaded it and it's almost an exact copy of the RS one. (Or vice versa.) I'm still not entirely sure how to work all the features of this thing, or even what all the stuff on the screen means, but I'm getting there.

Software programming is almost a requirement, in my opinion. Win97 does that very nicely.

I almost bought another PRO-97, as RS had them in stock locally and they were down to $150, but then for $220 I got something that can handle rebanding.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
Well for me its a no brainier you have owned a pro-97 the pro-164 and psr-300 are made by GRE, they are just about the same scanner and you can use WIN 97 with both what ever one cost less and I could get my hands on 1ST would be the one that I would get both the 164 and 300 can get freqs that the 97 cannot. so why get something that will not survive rebanding and when the wife tells you to replace it, get the good stuff. The 164 or I would get the 300 but like I said they are just about the same if not just the same.

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
Ah, good point - I didn't think about that. Fortunately, I had some spare 9V wall-warts already (from old scanners!) - although I do need a proper-sized plug. Still cheaper than buying the whole adapter!

So definitely a point in favor of the PSR-300.

xpawel15x

I have a Pro-97, although it's a good scanner, I wish it would brake so I could get the 164 or the 300 :p

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
n5usr said:
Ah, good point - I didn't think about that. Fortunately, I had some spare 9V wall-warts already (from old scanners!) - although I do need a proper-sized plug. Still cheaper than buying the whole adapter!

So definitely a point in favor of the PSR-300.
I bet they are all the same plug for the 97,164,300

rchalupajr

I can't comment on the Pro-164. I do howerver have the PSR-300. Nice to get the wall wart included with the scanner :). I owned a Pro-97 which I really liked, and I can tell You the PSR-300 can pick up comms the Pro-97 could not. I purchased it from Lentini and am very happy with thier quick service.

SCPD

QRT
Stick with a 97 or a PSR-300, stay away from the 164. Not too much differance between it and a 97. the Display has a few things added and it Trunks 700MHz. (Analog). GRE has been very quick to "fix" the glitches with the PSR-300, R/S is not so quick to Fix the same problems. I had a 164 and completely lost the ability to Trunk, did a reset and re-programmed the radio twice with No fix. took it back for a 97. No One here is Trunking 700MHz. in Analog so I don't miss the extended range. Win97 allows for the same 7.5KHz channel spacing on VHF so for me the PRO-97 was a better option, its a proven radio. However, I strongly suggest that if you care about your Money. Buy GRE or UNIDEN.

Just my Two-Cents

peterjmag

I would go with the PSR line. GRE has has stepped up and made a line of fantastic scanners. I am sick and tired of the RS BS and I know the 97 and 2055 etc are made by GRE but there nothing like having an official GRE line of equipment. I too say the 300 and 400 are far more senstive and dynamic then the 97 or 2055. GRE is staying on top of issues and has made the PSR line user and upgradable friendly. Go with PSR line, you will not be dissapointed. Happy Scanning...

pogbobo

MaxTracker said:
Stick with a 97 or a PSR-300, stay away from the 164. Not too much differance between it and a 97. the Display has a few things added and it Trunks 700MHz. (Analog). GRE has been very quick to "fix" the glitches with the PSR-300, R/S is not so quick to Fix the same problems. I had a 164 and completely lost the ability to Trunk, did a reset and re-programmed the radio twice with No fix. took it back for a 97. No One here is Trunking 700MHz. in Analog so I don't miss the extended range. Win97 allows for the same 7.5KHz channel spacing on VHF so for me the PRO-97 was a better option, its a proven radio. However, I strongly suggest that if you care about your Money. Buy GRE or UNIDEN.

Just my Two-Cents

just fyi ... the pro164 IS the psr300 with different colored buttons ... it has the EXACT same display, and the EXACT same internal workings ... my two cents :)

pogbobo said:
just fyi ... the pro164 IS the psr300 with different colored buttons ... it has the EXACT same display, and the EXACT same internal workings ... my two cents :)

can you download firmware updates from RS's website and update it as time goes by, just like the psr-300?

n2mdk

pogbobo said:

There are some other differences the 164 can't use the 300 firmware nor can the 2 scanners clone from each other.

pogbobo

n2mdk said:
There are some other differences the 164 can't use the 300 firmware nor can the 2 scanners clone from each other.

well that sucks ... my bad guys, i was under the impression it was purley cosmetic ... why on earth would they do something like this?

edit:

those have to be firmware only differences right? i mean, theres no way they made two different scanners (hardware wise)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Oh the 164 and the 300 are the same huh?

1-The GRE PSR 300/500 Firmware upgrade WILL NOT WORK on the 164.

2-The EPROMM is very Differant from the 300 to the 164

Case, Appearance, User manual & Cosmetics don't mean the radio has the same guts or brain. GRE has released a Firmware upgrade for the 300/400, and it specifies to NOT download it for the Pro-164. another post in a previous forum explains this. So before you tell someone the two are the same and the Firmware works on both, they download it and find it Destroyed there radio. I suggest you do some homework into the PSR-300 and R/S 164.

These are NOT the same radio what-so-ever. two seperate product lines.

Go GRE More bang for the Buck!

pogbobo

Oh the 164 and the 300 are the same huh?

1-The GRE PSR 300/500 Firmware upgrade WILL NOT WORK on the 164.

why would anyone use the psr500 firmware with a pro164?

2-The EPROMM is very Differant from the 300 to the 164

I assume you mean EPROM (or EEPROM) and Different

Case, Appearance, User manual & Cosmetics don't mean the radio has the same guts or brain. GRE has released a Firmware upgrade for the 300/400, and it specifies to NOT download it for the Pro-164. another post in a previous forum explains this. So before you tell someone the two are the same and the Firmware works on both, they download it and find it Destroyed there radio. I suggest you do some homework into the PSR-300 and R/S 164.

These are NOT the same radio what-so-ever. two seperate product lines.

Go GRE More bang for the Buck!

just because it says RadioShack on the front of it doesn't change the fact that GRE made the fargin thing ...

I challenge someone to prove to me that these two scanners have different insides.... it just doesn't make sense to me why one company would develope the same scanner twice ...

EDIT:
and how do you explain this?
http://tinyurl.com/38jzec

also, I cant find any posts on someone using the psr300 firmware on their pro164 ... can you post a link to it?

Last edited:

DonS

Based on my knowledge of the PSR-300/400 and PRO-164/163, I'd say they're exactly the same radios, with the only differences being:
* external cosmetics
* GRE and RS versions won't clone to each other
* cannot load GRE firmware to an RS radio

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Choices...

Go with what you can afford. The PRO-97 is on sale for $149.99, plus tax. You already had this radio. The PRO-164 is $219.99 plus tax. This radio was on sale some time ago for $179.99. The PSR-300 is $199.95, no tax, free shipping from Lentini (100% feedback rating). You just have to wait a few days to get it. IMHO I'd go with the GRE, for all the reasons stated in the previous posts. Win97 supports the radio, as well. The decision is ultimately yours. I hope we've been helpful and informative.

pogbobo

thanks for the input Don!

and Eric, don't forget that win97 supports all three of these scanners :)

Status
Not open for further replies.