Pro-97

Status
Not open for further replies.

amy23army

Premium Subscriber
What is the item number for the pc interface cable for the RS Pro-97 scanner? Just got a scanner for dirt cheap and just need the interface cable to get her up and running.

Thanks.

Nasby

Also, check out this post from another thread on this forum. It may save you some cash!!

Stopped by a local Radio Shack here in Atlanta and found they still carry the older USB programming cables (20-047) for $7.69. I picked up 2. Beats paying $34 for the new version. The 047 is not listed on the web site but 3 local stores had plenty.

ausscan

Premium Subscriber
Or you can build one for like $4 - I built mine and its still going strong today

amy23army

Premium Subscriber
thanks everyone, I wound up upgrading to a triple trunking scanner :) and have the cable to boot. Thanks for all the input, been out of the loop since my county wasn't online here yet but it is now so I'm pretty happy about that since I don't have the best antenna yet.

Redneck0410

thanks everyone, I wound up upgrading to a triple trunking scanner :) and have the cable to boot. Thanks for all the input, been out of the loop since my county wasn't online here yet but it is now so I'm pretty happy about that since I don't have the best antenna yet.

You're probably not going to hear much on that scanner, as your county 911 center utilizes a P25 digital system which the pro-97 will NOT track. While there are still analog channels listed for your county, it is very possible that they are not being used very often. See here for more details: Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies I don't mean to burst your bubble, but that's the reality of the situation. If listening to public safety isn't what you're interested in listening to, then you should be fine. Otherwise, you need a different scanner as all you're going to hear is a bunch of computer-type noise.

amy23army

Premium Subscriber
You're probably not going to hear much on that scanner, as your county 911 center utilizes a P25 digital system which the pro-97 will NOT track. While there are still analog channels listed for your county, it is very possible that they are not being used very often. See here for more details: Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS) Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies I don't mean to burst your bubble, but that's the reality of the situation. If listening to public safety isn't what you're interested in listening to, then you should be fine. Otherwise, you need a different scanner as all you're going to hear is a bunch of computer-type noise.

Hence my upgrade to the digital trunking, loving that I can hear everything now. Thats why I posted my reply so everyone knew I upgraded and no longer have the 97

amy23army

Premium Subscriber

meant to say digital

Redneck0410

meant to say digital

OK, my bad. I apologize as I thought you were trying to program the 97 for your area. I guess that's what I get for not thoroughly reading the posts from 10 months ago. Dang these eyes! On the antenna note, however, any kind of external antenna you can acquire should drastically improve your reception. I use the 35 dollar magnet mount from RS on my pro-164 that provides my feed, and I can easily get 40 miles on a clear night with no problem. Of course, it helps that it's sitting on the window AC unit of my apartment 15 feet from my window. Just using what I have available to me.

Last edited:

amy23army

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, was only looking for cable info. The pro97 works for EMS and Fire use in the area but I needed more so upgraded to digital trunk. I have an antenna option i'll be going to only if need be, really only need to hear whats up within 15miles and seem to hear well. And with the county up on this sites live feed i can now hear even more than i ever expected.

Redneck0410

Yeah, was only looking for cable info. The pro97 works for EMS and Fire use in the area but I needed more so upgraded to digital trunk. I have an antenna option i'll be going to only if need be, really only need to hear whats up within 15miles and seem to hear well. And with the county up on this sites live feed i can now hear even more than i ever expected.

OK, so if I understand you correctly, you have a cable already for the 97? Are you needing one for the digital scanner? I have a 20-546 cable with the programming CD I'd be willing to sell if interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.