Problem with 20-047 cable drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycota

I'm trying to use a 20-047 cable with my Pro-96 to upload data from a Vista machine. I'm using Win96 to program it.

I was able to download from the scanner to the computer, but I cannot upload from Win96 to the scanner. I have the correct port selected (COM4). I'm not using the 3-inch mono cable.

I think the issue is the driver for the cable. Vista automatically downloaded a driver, so I went into Device Manager and updated the driver with the one from the CD that came with the cable. After uninstalling, updating, then rebooting the computer and the scanner several times, this still didn't help. Win96 kept telling me that it couldn't find the scanner or something similar.

At one point I accidentally pushed the up arrow on the scanner, so it started sending data to the computer. I turned off the scanner to cancel the operation. Now every time I try to get Win96 to communicate with the scanner at all, it tells me another program is using the port! This happens even after deleting the driver, reinstalling it, and rebooting the computer again.

What can I do? Am I doomed to forever program my Pro-96 by hand?

mycota

I've uninstalled the USB driver a few times. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a way in Vista to simply install the driver directly from the CD. I have to let Vista install the driver automatically when I plug in the cable, then I have to go into Device Manager and manually update the driver using the CD.

I don't use in Vista but if you got it to communicate once then the driver did install. I ran into the same comm. problem with it saying it was in use. I have both the 96 and the 2096 and it's running great. The settings I am using are set for com3 and I use the mono. When i used the Stereo it did the same thing. Would recieve data but not send to scanner. I hope this has helped out in your setup. Give me a shout in this forum if you have no luck and I will try to set up on my Vista machine to help you out. I recieve email notification but only once so if I don't get back to you here promptly please be patient I may have to come to the forum to check in manually for new responses.

Bill

VERY IMPORTANT!!! When ever you install a USB driver you MUST NOT!!! plug it into your USB port until the driver has been installed!!! To cleanly do a reinstall you must first remove the driver from the Hardware list and it will not show up unless the cable is plugged into your computer. Then remove the hardware. Reboot. Then install as listed above. If you don't un install the driver first. Windows will skip over the files because they allready exist on the drive and this speeds up an installation or copying of filess to the computer. Just picture trying to copy ten 20Gig files that are allready on the system. Why send them again if they are already there.

Status
Not open for further replies.