Profile question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber
I’m using ARC-XT PRO to program my 996P2. When I tried to “Save As” the dialogue screen would ask what system I want to save. I programmed many systems and groups for my scanner. I can’t figure how to do this. Can I use the Profile to save the frequencies, and upload them to the scanner?

Above is how I did the frequencies. If I did something wrong please tell me and I’ll straighten them out. All the frequencies are in Bolivar County, and other counties in Mississippi. The folders are all the talk groups.
This is my first time to do this. Thank you.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you have more than one system in the browser, go to the File tab and click on Quick Save All Systems. Talkgroups do not go in folders. They are part of a trunked system. Your photo is too small and blurry to see. It looks like Bolivar Co has its own Motorola Type 2 system as well as talkgroups on the MSWIN statewide P25 system. Profiles are used to call up a selected number of systems rather than have to open them individually. If you attach one of your system files, I'll take a look at it and let you know of any problems. You need to send the file to a compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it.

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber
If you have more than one system in the browser, go to the File tab and click on Quick Save All Systems. Talkgroups do not go in folders. They are part of a trunked system. Your photo is too small and blurry to see. It looks like Bolivar Co has its own Motorola Type 2 system as well as talkgroups on the MSWIN statewide P25 system. Profiles are used to call up a selected number of systems rather than have to open them individually. If you attach one of your system files, I'll take a look at it and let you know of any problems. You need to send the file to a compressed (zipped) folder to be able to attach it.
I'm sorry to take so long to respond back to you. Here is the zipped file that came from the FreeScan. This is how my BCD996P2 is programmed.
This my first time to program the scanner. I like to have your opinion on this and some tips. I can't get the hang on ARC-XT PRO, as far as saving its file.

Attachments

• BCD996P2 1-10-2020.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 3

tvengr

Well Known Member
Obviously, you did this with a database download. The range was far too great. You have so many counties, systems and sites, many out of range, that you will be lucky to hear anything. Don't set the range to more than 5 miles. The range you set is in addition to the range already programmed in the database. That is why I don't do downloads. I do all of my programming from scratch so that I get only what I want to monitor and organize it the way I want to. I set up each county as a separate system with its own quick key or each site with its own quick key if it is a multi-site system. I uploaded the FreeSCAN file to a scanner and then downloaded it to ARC-XT. I Quick Saved All Systems and each system was saved as a separate file.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately when it comes to the various models of scanners, there are certain nuances to each.

For the x96 series of scanners, each system is stored separately. So if you are working with ten systems, you will have ten separate files. With ARC, to save one system, highlight it and then do the Save As. That will allow you to name the System file as desired. Doing the Quick Save means ALL files displayed will be saved. If you have given them a name, that's the name that will be used. If there is no name, ARC will pick one.

If you look just above the Green Load Defaults button on the right pane, you will see the path and file name associated with the system.

A Profile on the other hand is pretty much a list of Systems. This will allow you to open a number of systems at one time, rather than one system at a time. It's helpful if you have numerous systems that you want to work on, as it saves keyboard work.

Profiles can also be helpful if you want to group systems based on scanning scenario. Systems can be associated with more than one Profile.

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber
The reason I did it this way is because I have a GPS with the BCD996P2. My thinking is that when I travel to these counties, the GPS will pick up these areas and the 996P2 would scan. Am I right on this?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
From a file saving standpoint the attachment works. It is a profile consisting of about 17 separate systems. It is usable in Freescan but not ARC XT.

As far as GPS scanning goes, that's a different matter. While location data is programmed on trunked systems I looked at, you do not have the GPS Enable box checked. That means the scanner will always scan these whether or not you have an incoming GPS signal. So if you wanted to do GPS, you have more work to do. None of the conventional systems I spot checked have any location information programmed (or GPS Enable checked) so they will always be on.

Also, it may be by design, but there are no System Quick Keys. So turning some on/off may be challenging unless you have some other method in your mind.

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber
From a file saving standpoint the attachment works. It is a profile consisting of about 17 separate systems. It is usable in Freescan but not ARC XT.

As far as GPS scanning goes, that's a different matter. While location data is programmed on trunked systems I looked at, you do not have the GPS Enable box checked. That means the scanner will always scan these whether or not you have an incoming GPS signal. So if you wanted to do GPS, you have more work to do. None of the conventional systems I spot checked have any location information programmed (or GPS Enable checked) so they will always be on.

Also, it may be by design, but there are no System Quick Keys. So turning some on/off may be challenging unless you have some other method in your mind.
Wow. Still got a lot to learn.
I downloaded some work sheets from the Mark scanner page to help me (hopefully) set up my scanner. I appreciate what advice you’re giving me. Any more advice would be helpful. Thanks.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The downside of QuickSave where the file name becomes the system name is that if you have two different systems with the same name. For example around my parts there is a Jefferson County Kentucky and a Jefferson County Indiana (both are close enough to scan).

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
The downside of QuickSave where the file name becomes the system name is that if you have two different systems with the same name. For example around my parts there is a Jefferson County Kentucky and a Jefferson County Indiana (both are close enough to scan).

No the software will add an underscore and a number to avoid the same name being used twice.

Gommert
www.butelsoftware.com

MrFTAMan

Premium Subscriber

I tried to redo the sites, etc, in the FreeScan software. I made sure I enabled the GPS on all of them. I hope you don’t mind looking at this.
The reason I programmed this way I go to Jackson (MS) and Memphis (TN) sometimes and I want to listen to the counties frequencies as I travel to these places.
I haven’t installed these sites on my BCD996P2 yet. I saved the current sites that is in my scanner.
Thanks.

Attachments

• bcd996.zip
    29.5 KB · Views: 2

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
A spot checking shows everything set I think you need for GPS scanning. Get it a shot and see what happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.