Program problem: Project 25 Phase I (FDMA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbbc

Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I have a Uniden BCD396 trunk tracker. I am trying to program a trunked P25 system, Eglin AFB:

Eglin Air Force Base Trunking System, Various, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

I enter the control channels and their alternates on the trunk freq table using freescan, and I set up all the talkgroups - but I hear nothing. Within an hour, I may hear one-half of a conversation, but that's it.

- is it best to enter all control and alternate frequencies? I did that before, and the scanner tracked them just fine.
- do LCN numbers matter?

I don't know what I am doing differently from before... .

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
LCNs have no meaning in a Motorola system. There are, however, 5 sites to that system. With the 396, you cannot program all 5 sites on one system - each 'site' has to be its own system, and better, program those sites that are physically closest to you. This is the heart of what is different with the 396XT where it can do multi site programming.

You should enter all primary and alternate CCs - in fact, in a P25 system, control channel only is the default.

The fact that you are getting very little traffic is difficult to diagnose without some more information. If you are using a poor antenna (a duckie, unless you're really close to Eglin), the signal will be low and you won't get much traffic.

You might try posting your FreeScan file and let others see what you've done. You can do this easily by compressing the .996 file with any number of utilities (WinZip, 7-Zip (which is freeware), and others) and attaching it to your reply. That would potentially remove any programming issues. The next would likely be a better antenna....best regards...Mike

daggit

I have the same exact problem with my 396xt. The system I'm trying to listen too is the public safety system mishawaka Indiana st. Joseph county. It's also a project 25 phase 1 fdma. I have the same problems. I also used freescan. What helped is using the p25 auto adjustment function but still not getting traffic like I should. All my other trunking systems come in fine.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
According to the database, St.Joseph uses the SAFE-T system. While i'm not familiar with SAFE-T, if you are using the St.Joseph simulcast site, no doubt you're going to run into digital distortion issues, as greatly discussed elsewhere in this forum, and very likely in the SAFE-T thread. We also have an article in our wiki on this very topic...

Simulcast digital distortion - The RadioReference Wiki

http://forums.radioreference.com/indiana-radio-discussion-forum/210432-safe-t-discussion-thread.html

best regards...Mike

daggit

Thanks for replying Mike. Your right St. Joseph County uses Safe-T. Mishawaka's "sister" city is South Bend. South Bend and most other agencies use the Safe-T and I c an pick them up fine. Mishawaka is not part of that system, they are like their own Island. Here is the Mishawaka Freqs from RR Mishawaka Public Safety Trunking System, Mishawaka, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies Now its a Phase I system but under freescan it chooses the phase II option and under the site its classified as Mp25 standard. They may be the right choices, I dont know. Im actually closer to Mishawaka then I am to South Bend but I pick up South Bend great. Seems like the Mishawaka reception is weak or something. Sometimes I will get good traffic other times nothing. I use to monitor Mishawaka's trunking system years ago on one of the first tunking radios to come out. I got more traffic back then I do now.
Would it help to do something with the apco band plan? Thanks in advance

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hello.

I have a Uniden BCD396 trunk tracker. I am trying to program a trunked P25 system, Eglin AFB:

Eglin Air Force Base Trunking System, Various, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

I enter the control channels and their alternates on the trunk freq table using freescan, and I set up all the talkgroups - but I hear nothing. Within an hour, I may hear one-half of a conversation, but that's it.

- is it best to enter all control and alternate frequencies? I did that before, and the scanner tracked them just fine.
- do LCN numbers matter?

I don't know what I am doing differently from before... .

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks.

I noticed that all Elgin AFB police fire, and EMS are encrypted. This would probably be most of the system's traffic.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks for replying Mike. Your right St. Joseph County uses Safe-T. Mishawaka's "sister" city is South Bend. South Bend and most other agencies use the Safe-T and I c an pick them up fine. Mishawaka is not part of that system, they are like their own Island. Here is the Mishawaka Freqs from RR Mishawaka Public Safety Trunking System, Mishawaka, Indiana - Scanner Frequencies Now its a Phase I system but under freescan it chooses the phase II option and under the site its classified as Mp25 standard. They may be the right choices, I dont know. Im actually closer to Mishawaka then I am to South Bend but I pick up South Bend great. Seems like the Mishawaka reception is weak or something. Sometimes I will get good traffic other times nothing. I use to monitor Mishawaka's trunking system years ago on one of the first tunking radios to come out. I got more traffic back then I do now.
Would it help to do something with the apco band plan? Thanks in advance

I took a quick look at the db entry, and yes, it seems that those are the right choices re the site and system types. If your signal level is poor, then the decoding rate will also be similarly poor. A better antenna is clearly called for here.

The band plan was put in there for future use - and frankly it should go away, as there are no systems out there that use it that I know of. It just adds confusion and takes up unnecessary space.

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.