ProScan: Proscan - iPhone Web Streaming issues

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
Hello:
This posting and its questions are aimed at Proscan users and not necessarily Bob/Support. I am still trying to define the problems and wonder if others are experiencing similar issues or have a setting or workaround that may help me.

I am using an iPhone X (10) or iPhone XR to stream scanner control and audio from an SDS200. All in the same house, same network. Low latency Eero mesh. SDS200 and host computer is wired. I am using Safari on the iPhones but have tried Chrome too. iOS version is 16.6. Generally no other apps running and the iPhone X is somewhat dedicated to radio remote control. Audio stream is no more that 1 second delayed. I do not get an Audio Player control on the lock screen like you do with some other audio players. If I use the other audio only link I get the audio control on the lock screen and it does not stop but its 3-5 seconds delayed. Host computer is a recent vintage desktop, 32gb ram, i7, 1TB SSD.

Issues:
1) At times when the display lock screen kicks in on the iPhone, the audio stream will stop. Waking phone again and pressing play will get you delayed audio because it seems like its buffered. Work around has been to refresh the page on the iPhone and start the Audio again. NOTE - The audio is the played form the play button on the upper right of the display. I am not using the "upper" Listen Live" link as its 3-4 seconds behind and using with the scanner control is confusing. Another related symptom, if the audio does continue after a screen lock, it sometimes stops when unlocking the iPhone. Again, all intermittent but audio stopping happens about 50% of the time. Testing on a new m1 based iPad Air does not exhibit the issue.

2) When using the control buttons on the iPhone X or XR, or Android Fire tablet or iPad, I generally have to hit the control buttons twice. The firts hit generates a beep the second usually activates the function.

3) Again, intermittently, if the iPhone is locked and paying the stream, after 10-15 minutes the audio stream becomes garbled and unintelligible. Checking the radio audio or starting a new stream on a new device seems fine.

Thank you...

brumey

CFO (Chief Fix-It Officer)
A follow-up to my initial, somewhat confusing issue. I have confirmed that this issue happens on the iPhone X and XR. Its repeatable and annoying to the point of not being able to use Proscan and listen to its audio. The good news is that streaming is reliable on other platforms. I do not have a newer iPhone to test the symptoms against.

HELP - Can anyone with a newer vintage iPhone test accessing the Proscan webpage, scan a favorite list and listen to audio. The issue seems to happen when the current channel goes quiet and the scan moved on to another channel. After 2-5 minutes, the Audio either stops playing or gets very delayed and plays audio from a previous channel. Sometimes pressing pause and play again on the webpage's audio control starts the stream again until it happens again. Other times, I have to refresh the browser. (Tried Safari and Chrome).

Everything works fine on a Mac/Safari, iPad Air (M1) and even a very old Amazon 8" fire tablet.

I doubt this is something for Bob to fix as it maybe just happening on older iPhones. FYI - I tried turning off screen lock, all power savings, etc.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I tested the audio on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Using Safari then Chrome and the built in HTML player. When the screen locks, audio still is heard. I don't want to test using the "Listen Live" link as that will load a media player and each type of media player may act differently.

phyrphighter

Premium Subscriber
I have been checking on this thread to see if there was any solution. I also cannot seem to get proscan to work well on an iPhone. I can connect fine but when the lock screen activates the audio stops playing. Some times it it will start again when the phone is unlocked but it seems delayed unless I refresh the browser. If the lock screen appears again audio stops and I have to start all over. Pretty much unusable.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I have been checking on this thread to see if there was any solution. I also cannot seem to get proscan to work well on an iPhone. I can connect fine but when the lock screen activates the audio stops playing. Some times it it will start again when the phone is unlocked but it seems delayed unless I refresh the browser. If the lock screen appears again audio stops and I have to start all over. Pretty much unusable.
I would google -> iphone lock screen audio stops playing
I see a lot of suggestions.

ndebaggis

Premium Subscriber
Give VLC Media player app a shot. I ditched using Safari in favor of VLC about a year ago and haven't had any issues since.