Proscan / SDS200 scanner connection dropping on internal WiFi

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
an you still ping the scanner when it's in this weird state?
I did not think to try that, but will try tomorrow. I am leaning towards yes since Windows was able to detect the scanner during that state.

1701995443415.png

Pinged it now and proscan is still not running and first ping avg 12ms, 2nd and 3rd, 1-2 ms.

1701995660183.png

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Maybe do a continuous ping (-t) just to see what happens.
I did not think to try that, but will try tomorrow. I am leaning towards yes since Windows was able to detect the scanner during that state.

View attachment 152626

Pinged it now and proscan is still not running and first ping avg 12ms, 2nd and 3rd, 1-2 ms.

Also maybe try UDP ping versus the traditional ICMP ping.
The data side uses UDP only and the audio uses TCP and UDP

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Also maybe try UDP ping versus the traditional ICMP ping.
The data side uses UDP only and the audio uses TCP and UDP

I'm not having the issue but I'll run PingPlotter with UDP overnight and see what happens.
So right now, with it in regular state,

View attachment 152634

This I will try in the morning.
Get Ping Plotter and use that. I’m pinging several devices overnight to see if any drop. You can easily do UDP with it also.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
It’s like the web server crashes. @ProScan do you use web service api calls to talk to scanner for logging and virtual display?
The scanner web server uses TCP. The scanner protocol uses UDP which is used for the ProScan logging, and virtual display

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Ran Ping Plotter all night (UDP to SDS200) and no dropouts. No shocker and doesn't really help, other than my network is stable and others may not be, which is what causes the issue.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I wonder if the 200 has a cumulative counter and after x number of seconds/minutes/whatever of loss of connectivity the issue starts? And a power cycle resets it? Just thinking outside the box for a root cause.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
I don’t want to jinx myself, but I have not had to reboot the SDS200 for over 9 days. Previously I had to turn the scanner off and back on twice a day when ProScan stated it couldn’t communicate with the scanner.

IMG_0780.jpeg

The only changes were the firmware update and the ProScan update.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
I don’t want to jinx myself, but I have not had to reboot the SDS200 for over 9 days. Previously I had to turn the scanner off and back on twice a day when ProScan stated it couldn’t communicate with the scanner.

View attachment 154146

The only changes were the firmware update and the ProScan update.
Everything has been working great up until a week ago. The ProScan display is blank and the web server is down. The only remedy is powering the scanner off then on.

In the past 40 days updates were released from Uniden, Microsoft, and ProScan.

Hardware has not been touched.

Has anyone else experienced this issue after everything was ok for quite some time?

Previously I would have to power the scanner off about twice a day.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Everything has been working great up until a week ago. The ProScan display is blank and the web server is down. The only remedy is powering the scanner off then on.

Has anyone else experienced this issue after everything was ok for quite some time?

Can you try another Ethernet cable? I've heard of one case that swapping in a Cat 6a cable solved the problem.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber

I've had the same issue before. It was resolved in the past by rebooting my orbi router, but it's happening again lately. same thing as you. Not sure if it's the router again or something with proscan update. like you said, a lot of updates with everything lately.

kdeke

We often do wifi testing here, what we know from experience, is that if we test unidirectional udp, we also need a small udp flow in the opposite direction (a kind of ARP keep-alive). If not, a router could loose its ARP entry for that client after some time, when the router cleans up its ARP table Maybe this effect could be in play here?. (please note that this is for pure udp, so when no tcp is involved. As tcp is bi-dir, it doesn't apply)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
If you power cycle the Scanner without doing anything else it goes back to working this proves it is a Scanner problem not Proscan. When the Scanner looses its connection even for just a short time the Scanner will not communicate over the network port until the Scanner is RESET.
This happens with the SDS200 and the 536HP both the better the Router the less this happens I use MikroTik Router and have very little problems also running the Scanner as a Static Address also helps with this problem. I am running 8 536's and 1 SDS200 and do not have this problem now.