Proscan / SDS200 scanner connection dropping on internal WiFi

kh2

Premium Subscriber
OK - doubt this is a ProScan issue but I am running ProScan when it happens and hoping for a solution. The SDS200 is connected to my LAN via cable. I have POOR internet service through Ziply - period - on and off like a 4yr old with a light switch. But I do have an internal WIFI - printers, NAS, etc. that run well regardless of internet connection. If I am connected on my WiFi internal network and or if internet is up I can fire up ProScan and listen to my SDS200 on my internal WiFi. My issue is during some of these "blips" of internet service. ProSscan/scanner lose the connection and I am unable to use the scanner unless I physically turn the scanner off/on. (Proscan says unable to connect and I cannot restart with the software.) Again I am not blaming ProScan, but more wondering why the internet loosing it's connection makes ProScan/scanner lose connection on my internal WiFi. Aren't ProScan and the scanner separate from the internet and should not be affected on internal WiFi?

Hoping for some insight to what might be causing the issue or.... I'm doomed to live with the scenario.

Thanks -

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
OK - doubt this is a ProScan issue but I am running ProScan when it happens and hoping for a solution. The SDS200 is connected to my LAN via cable. I have POOR internet service through Ziply - period - on and off like a 4yr old with a light switch. But I do have an internal WIFI - printers, NAS, etc. that run well regardless of internet connection. If I am connected on my WiFi internal network and or if internet is up I can fire up ProScan and listen to my SDS200 on my internal WiFi. My issue is during some of these "blips" of internet service. ProSscan/scanner lose the connection and I am unable to use the scanner unless I physically turn the scanner off/on. (Proscan says unable to connect and I cannot restart with the software.) Again I am not blaming ProScan, but more wondering why the internet loosing it's connection makes ProScan/scanner lose connection on my internal WiFi. Aren't ProScan and the scanner separate from the internet and should not be affected on internal WiFi?

Hoping for some insight to what might be causing the issue or.... I'm doomed to live with the scenario.

Thanks -
I believe that when the scanner Ethernet loses the signal after a certain amount of time, the scanner Ethernet will timeout and the only way to recover is a scanner power cycle. You may want to swap Ethernet cables. I heard of a user swapping a cable with a Cat 6a cable and that solved the problem. If the problem persists then look at the WiFi side. Change WiFi channels. I heard of a user switching to 5 GHz and that solved the problem.

kh2

Premium Subscriber
OK -
Router - Orbi Rb50 has been and is on 5 GHz, changed channels last night and seems to be more stable today. Funny I seem to have to change channels every few months to clear up slow internet issues - seems odd to me. (optional pcwrt CF-XR10 available if problems persist I will change to it) I went with Orbi to have a satellite to access some black holes in the house.

Cable - I have Cat 6 now but feeds into a wired whole house system that is Cat5e soooo I'm ass-u-ming a Cat6a cable at radio to wall would have little effect?

Thank you - I appreciate the help sometimes we get so zoomed in we forget zooming out and looking at the bigger picture.

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
I have been experiencing this exact issue for months and it usually happens several times a day. I have a smart plug attached to the scanner so all I need to do is tell Alexa to reboot the scanner. Works every time. I am using an Iomega WiFi dongle and have tried another dongle and another Ethernet cable. Hasn’t aggravated me enough to bother Bob.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I have been experiencing this exact issue for months and it usually happens several times a day. I have a smart plug attached to the scanner so all I need to do is tell Alexa to reboot the scanner. Works every time. I am using an Iomega WiFi dongle and have tried another dongle and another Ethernet cable. Hasn’t aggravated me enough to bother Bob.
ProScan isn’t responsible for keeping network connection alive it just uses it, so I don’t think bothering @ProScan is the answer. JMHO.

My SDS200 go many weeks without dropping their connection to ProScan. I usually reboot the pc at least every 2 months so can’t say if it would last longer than that. Mine is hardwired (no WiFi adapters) and quality cat6 cables.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
No help, but my 200 goes from the LAN port to a 4 port switch to a Vonets WiFi bridge and hasn't dropped since I locked its IP via the MAC in my router. Been up for months now.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
my 200 goes from the LAN port to a 4 port switch to a Vonets WiFi bridge and hasn't dropped since I locked its IP via the MAC in my router. Been up for months now.
And prior to that, was the Vonet plugged directly into the scanner?

I have a smart plug attached to the scanner so all I need to do is tell Alexa to reboot the scanner. Works every time.

So when Alexa reboots the scanner, is the scanner doing a proper shutdown?

Fixitt

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
I understand it is not a ProScan issue. That is the only program running on the PC. I’ll temporarily connect the scanner with an Ethernet cable. I am not knowledgeable about this so excuse my ignorance.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
And prior to that, was the Vonet plugged directly into the scanner?
Yes, but I had to remote it due to VHF interference. I added the switch for testing purposes and just left it inline since it wasn't hurting anything (and I can add other devices if I want/need to).

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I understand it is not a ProScan issue. That is the only program running on the PC. I’ll temporarily connect the scanner with an Ethernet cable. I am not knowledgeable about this so excuse my ignorance.
It's my feeling that the SDS200 doesn't have a lot of tolerance for network issues, and this probably happens more often with wifi than hardwired. If your router decides to reset all wifi connection or do a full reboot, this could have an impact. My router has a setting to control this behavior, from one extreme of doing a full restart at a specific time on a specific day, to do nothing if it thinks there is an issue.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
It is my belief that the problem is in the ROUTER SETTINGS and DHCP LEASES. Running as much as you can STATIC IP ADDRESSES will help you the most. Turn off all AUTO UPDATES ROUTER PC RUNNING PROSCAN ECT.

kh2

Premium Subscriber
Buddrousa, it is a static IP and no auto updates

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I have been running my setup 5 536's and 1 sds200 bought as part of the 1st release 200's STATIC WIFI ADAPTER STATIC IP SCANNER MICROTIK ROUTER and have no issues like you are having. Did I miss what BRAND WIFI ADAPTER and ROUTER you are running?
You stated having to change the router settings from time to time this points to NETWORK PROBLEMS.

jwilson995

Feed Provider
I have many radios scattered across the state. I am slowly replacing them with the SDS200. 6 hour drives to reset a scanner is rough. Since I can ping the radio and it has a network connection with there a way to SSH to the radio and execute a command to reboot? If not we will deploy a remote relay to trigger to power cycle the radio.

Ubbe

I have the same kind of issues in my BCD536 and Uniden are probably using the same network code in the SDS200. It seems that my scanner cannot automatically reconnect if it looses the connection, as every other network devices I have can do, 25 of them. I have to reboot the scanner to make it connect again.

It's a very basic code in use as if I use its Access Point mode in BCD536 I cannot select the channel it should transmit on, it just picks one that usually are right next to another strong router and as the 2,4GHz WiFi signal are 3 channels wide it gets interfered and also interfere with other routers.

/Ubbe