PSR-600 Programming

kentraco

Premium Subscriber
I've had the PSR-600 at my desk for a number of years but have recently mounted it in my vehicle.

Someone here must have talked me through the initial setup, because now that I'm trying to make a change I'm completely lost. Here's the issue:

The unit was programmed to scan the county's trunking system. I've since deleted frequencies I didn't want to hear, but there are 16 others the original install didn't include that I'd now like to add. I still have ScanControl software on my PC and have also obtained Butel's ARC500 because RadioReference shows it as compatible with my scanner. If I download a .csv file for the trunking system, should I be able to open an itemized list of the agencies so I can pick and choose what I want?

I know this is pretty basic, so please be patient with me. Thanks!

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Being a premium subscriber, you will be able to download directly from the Radio Reference database using ARC500. Is that Deltona in Volusia County FL? If so, Volusia County is transitioning from their EDACS system to a new P25 system. The new system is P25 Phase 2 capable. All of the talkgroups except 1 are currently showing Phase 1 (D in Mode Column) in the database. East Fire Dispatch is showing Phase 2 (T in Mode Column). The PSR-600 cannot decode Phase 2 talkgroups. Any of the other talkgroups could switch to Phase 2 in the future as radios are swapped out. I suggest you click on Report and request that your thread be moved to the Florida forum. The members there will have better info about the state of the transition. I am just a little too far away to help with that.

Volusia County Fire Services

DEC HEX Mode Alpha TagDescriptionTag
30112dTEast Fire DispEastside Fire DispatchFire Dispatch

kentraco

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your response. Yes, Deltona is in Volusia County - between Orlando and Daytona Beach.

Am I understanding correctly that when the P25 system is up and running my PSR-600 will be useless?

Last edited:

wtp

if a talkgroup stays on phase 1, you would hear them.
the ones that go to phase 2, no you won't.
my county, Charlotte, is a mix and the old phase 1 radios still have a use.

seagravebuff60

Well Known MRRS Hater
Feed Provider
The unit was programmed to scan the county's trunking system. I've since deleted frequencies I didn't want to hear, but there are 16 others the original install didn't include that I'd now like to add. I still have ScanControl software on my PC and have also obtained Butel's ARC500 because RadioReference shows it as compatible with my scanner. If I download a .csv file for the trunking system, should I be able to open an itemized list of the agencies so I can pick and choose what I want?
To my knowledge, the transition to P25 hasn't been completed yet. You may get Fire Dispatch off of the Sanford Site, but I can't verify if it currently broadcasts traffic in either FDMA or TDMA mode. Since the full transition hasn't really happened yet, I would say you'd be better off programming in the EDACS system instead.

kentraco

Premium Subscriber
I hope someone familiar with ARC500 software can guide me through what should be a very simple and basic process. I just happen to be nearly clueless when it comes to programming.

I've downloaded a .csv file, converted it to Excel, deleted items I don't want included, and reconverted to .csv format. Using the "Import CSV" command,, I now have a screen open that shows the newly modified EDACS information.

What's the correct sequence of steps to remove the existing data from the scanner and replace it with the revised file?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is an ARC500 EDACS file which I did about 5 years ago. Give it a try and see if it still works. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Open the extracted file with ARC500. Go to the Scanner tab and click on Upload to Scanner. Scan lists as follows:

SCAN LISTS:
VOLUSIA CO WEST (Site)
1. Volusia Co Fire
2. Volusia Co EMS
3. Volusia Sheriff
4. Daytona Bch Fire
5. Daytona Bch PD
VOLUSIA CO EAST (Site)
6. Volusia Co Fire
7. Volusia Co EMS
8. Volusia Sheriff
9. Daytona Bch Fire
10. Daytona Bch PD
DAYTONA BEACH (Site)
11. Volusia Co Fire
12. Volusia Co EMS
13. Volusia Sheriff
14. Daytona Bch Fire
15. Daytona Bch PD

Attachments

• Volusia Co FL.zip
    4.7 KB · Views: 1

kentraco

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, but I already have an edited EDACS .csv file ready to upload to the scanner. All I want to scan is Volusia County and nearby cities' law enforcement, so I've deleted all of the extraneous fire, EMS, and government frequencies.

I just don't know the process for clearing what's already in the scanner memory and replacing it with the new file.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I just don't know the process for clearing what's already in the scanner memory and replacing it with the new file.
When you upload the new file to the scanner, it will overwrite all of the scan lists already in the scanner. The file I created has 3 systems with each one using a different site. That is necessary since the LCN (Logical Channel Number) of each frequency must match its corresponding number in the frequency list. Each of the systems has its site frequencies in its own frequency list. If you don't want Fire and EMS, just turn off their scan lists (1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, and 14). For scan lists 1 thru 10, just press 1 thru 0 on the scanner keypad. For scan lists 11 thru 20, press FUNC first and then 1 thru 0. If you should have a large fire or bad accident in your area, just turn on the Fire and EMS scan lists. The talkgroups are there for when you need them.

Nasby

Thanks, but I already have an edited EDACS .csv file ready to upload to the scanner. All I want to scan is Volusia County and nearby cities' law enforcement, so I've deleted all of the extraneous fire, EMS, and government frequencies.

When you upload a new file, it deletes everything currently in the scanner.
Pretty simple.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I have made a couple of changes in my file. Scan lists 1 and 2 are on the West site. Scan lists 3 and 4 are on the East site. Scan lists 5 and 6 are on the Daytona Beach site. Scan lists 1, 3, and 5 are Fire/EMS. Scan lists 2, 4, and 6 are law enforcement. If you press the FAV button, you will receive only law enforcement across all 3 sites. Scan list 7 is Fire/EMS conventional frequencies. Scan list 8 is the 2 federal law enforcement conventional frequencies. You should have a direct shot at the Orlando Sanford International Airport across Lake Monroe. The ATC frequencies are in scan list 9. Revised scan lists as follows:

SCAN LISTS:
1. VolCo FD/EMS W (West site)
2. VolCo Law W (West site)
3. VolCo FD/EMS E (East site)
4. VolCo Law E (East site)
5. VolCo FD/EMS DB (Daytona Beach site)
6. VolCo Law DB (Daytona Beach site)
7. VolCo Fire Conv
8. VolCo Fed Conv
9. KSFB Airport

Attachments

• Volusia Co FL 2 GR5.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 0

kentraco

Premium Subscriber
I do appreciate your efforts. I've finally got my scanner programmed with only the law enforcement frequencies I want and nothing else.

My needs are not as complex as those of many on this site. The formerly desk-bound PRS-600 is mobile now, mounted in a retired cop car. I just like having it on when I'm driving.