Psr600 heap error 1f9a00:1fa1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
disconnect the power from the scanner just like it came out of the box and let it sit for several minutes, then plug it back in and see what happens. Then reload the files back into the scanner.

ScannerSK

Wow, it does not sound like there is much wiggle room to work with.
After you hold down PROG while turning on the scanner, what happens if you press ENT and then immediately hold down 0 or 3 afterward?

If the Win500 software is actively attempting to download from the scanner right when the scanner is turned on it will read it? Probably not but worth a try.

That's about all I can think of to try at the moment.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
The min i hit any key after program power up it goes right to error. And no it wont upload or download.download time out.upload no response from scanner.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
disconnect the power from the scanner just like it came out of the box and let it sit for several minutes, then plug it back in and see what happens. Then reload the files back into the scanner.
will try this

djeplett

From marksscanners.com:

The scanners have power-on keypress sequences that are used as shortcuts to configuration items, like attenuator settings, backlight settings and memory information. They will also allow you to reset the whole scanner or just the 'Global Settings'. The resets do not affect the V-Scanner Folders. Power-on key sequences are also used to place your scanner into firmware upgrade mode for CPU and DSP firmware upgrades.

The first key must be pressed while the Welcome/Owner screen is being displayed.
1 shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Sound Mode.
2 shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Key Beeps.
3 displays CPU and DSP versions.
106%20keylock.png
shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Light Mode (HH only).
DIM shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Light Mode (Base only).
ATT shortcut to PGM>GLOB>AttenMode.
0, 0 shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Memory Info. Press F1 (Done) to exit.
0, 1 clears all working memory and resets all 'Global Settings' to factory defaults. Press ENT to continue within 6 seconds.
0, 2 resets all 'Global Settings' to factory defaults. Does not affect working memory. Press ENT to continue within 6 seconds.
0, 5 (and 0,6) executes EEPROM memory test, then clears working memory and resets all 'Global Settings' to factory defaults. Press ENT to continue within 6 seconds.

I would try 0 & 5.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
From marksscanners.com:

The scanners have power-on keypress sequences that are used as shortcuts to configuration items, like attenuator settings, backlight settings and memory information. They will also allow you to reset the whole scanner or just the 'Global Settings'. The resets do not affect the V-Scanner Folders. Power-on key sequences are also used to place your scanner into firmware upgrade mode for CPU and DSP firmware upgrades.

The first key must be pressed while the Welcome/Owner screen is being displayed.
1 shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Sound Mode.
2 shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Key Beeps.
3 displays CPU and DSP versions.
106%20keylock.png
shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Light Mode (HH only).
DIM shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Light Mode (Base only).
ATT shortcut to PGM>GLOB>AttenMode.
0, 0 shortcut to PGM>GLOB>Memory Info. Press F1 (Done) to exit.
0, 1 clears all working memory and resets all 'Global Settings' to factory defaults. Press ENT to continue within 6 seconds.
0, 2 resets all 'Global Settings' to factory defaults. Does not affect working memory. Press ENT to continue within 6 seconds.
0, 5 (and 0,6) executes EEPROM memory test, then clears working memory and resets all 'Global Settings' to factory defaults. Press ENT to continue within 6 seconds.

I would try 0 & 5.
i do not get a welcome screen. It goes directly into heap error

ScannerSK

This is from the service manual for the Radio Shack PRO-197 which is nearly identical. I don't think it is available online.

The words battery, backup and heap do not appear in the service manual. I don't see any type of backup battery tied to the ICs.

The troubleshooting flow charts don't really appear to indicate the precise problem you are experiencing.

Pin 10 of the 100-pin IC307 (CPU) is labeled as "Reset Input".
Pin 25 of IC307 is labeled as "LCD Reset Output"
Pin 46 of IC307 is labeled as "DSP Reset Output"

Transistor Q305 (a 2SC4116) is labeled as "Reset". 3.3 VDC feeds through a 10K resistor into the collector of this transistor. The collector of this transistor is also tied directly to pin 10 of the IC307 CPU labeled as "Reset Input". The emitter of the transistor ties to ground and the base of the transistor feeds off to numerous parts. It would appear that Q305 may briefly short pin 10 of IC307 to the ground to reset the CPU. I'm always leery of shorting any pin carrying voltage to the ground however as the voltage first passes through a 10K resistor prior to pin 10 this may be ok.

Pin 12 of IC311 (Flash Memory) is labeled as “Reset”. It appears there is 3.3 VDC typically present at this pin. This pin 12 ties directly to pin 120 of IC310 (DSP) (a 144-pin IC). I imagine a brief interruption of the voltage from pin 120 resets the flash memory. I'm not sure how a person would interrupt the voltage to pin 12 other than cutting the trace and fixing it afterward. I would probably not short pin 12 to the ground as it may damage the circuit.

Pin 24 of IC313 (CODEC) is labeled as “Reset” and ties directly into pin 58 of IC310.

So, there may be hope of resetting either the CPU or flash memory if you dare.

This looks quite challenging viewing the inside of my scanner. It appears IC307, IC310 & IC311 are on one of two boards in the display / keypad section and possibly under metal shields which may have epoxy over the solder holding the shields in place. Anyway, it's a last resort.

Last edited:

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
Yeah not sure its worth all that.will check inside tomorrow.thanks for all the help guys.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Generally speaking, a Heap Error is an error with memory. If the problem is a physical failure of the memory, it needs replacement. Usually these errors are that memory has gotten "contaminated". Most often all it takes is resetting the radio and re-uploading programming. It sounds like you can't get "booted" far enough to do that. So the next step is to pretend you're doing a FW update. Essentially re-program FW with the version already in there. Try again. If that doesn't work, it's likely a physical memory failure.

ScannerSK

Essentially re-program FW with the version already in there.

He did process a firmware update to the previous CPU version and there was no change.

I wonder what would happen if he aborted a firmware update right in the middle of the update (unplug the data cable)? Maybe that would jolt something to make things work again after properly updating the firmware? There just really is not much left to try that I can think of.

There is always a small possibility the "0" and "3" buttons are not even working on that scanner. The metallic rubber coating is known to fall off from the back of the buttons making certain buttons/keys not work.

It looks like the buttons can be tested on his scanner by holding down PROG when turning on the scanner. After this, any valid keypress should cause the scanner to reboot. It might not hurt to verify the "0" and "3" keys are even functional.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
If i push any key after the power on and program button. It goes directly to heap error.

Status
Not open for further replies.