R30 Searching Multiple Ranges & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I'll give that a try. I'm not sure what that would do though? Can you explain? Why would it affect the same exact frequency / mode / info on VFO A but not VFO B? If it's not raining all day, I'll get out there and try it after it gets daylight. I need to take the dogs for a walk anyway :) Thanks for the reply.

Brian
COMMSCAN

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I'll give that a try. I'm not sure what that would do though? Can you explain? Why would it affect the same exact frequency / mode / info on VFO A but not VFO B? If it's not raining all day, I'll get out there and try it after it gets daylight. I need to take the dogs for a walk anyway :) Thanks for the reply.

Brian
COMMSCAN
That test will prove if something is messing with the triple conversion receiver but not the double conversion used for the B band in your R30
In today's world of electronic gadgets and multitude of RF signals in the air, many things can cause strange behavior for some users.

I also bought a brand new R30 from HRO back in September 2018. Mine has a serial in the range of 160011xx. So it's an early production from the 16001 batch I'd guess going from the serial number. One of the first 200 made made in the 16001 batch I guess.

I ran mine through real over the air tests between VFO A and B as well as tests with a signal generator and I could not find any problems with reception on VFO A (or B for that matter). If anything, the signal gen showed my VFO A reception was slightly better than VFO B but not enough to where you could discern that with your ears.

I really hope you can find a common cause as this does not seem to be widespread problem with these radios. I know several that own one and your posts plus that thread you linked are the only two reports I've seen of such a problem.

Good Luck!

Edit: do you have any strong signals from AM or FM or TV broadcasters in your nearby area? Or even very close cell towers etc..
Ant hams live right nearby that could be desensing your R30 A VFO's front end?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Will be testing mine when it quits snowing. My serial number is 16001xxx. Looking at my info screen, I have CPU v 1.11, DSP v 1.03, GPS v 11613, bluetooth v 1.12. Maybe post what everyone else has to see if it could be a software issue. Is it possible Icom used a different chip in newer R30's?

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
My serial number is 160017xx and I bought it new in 2020 from DX Engineering. I also have firmware CPU v 1.11, DSP v 1.03, GPS v 11613, and BT v 1.12. Mine works fine on both VFO A and VFO B.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
CPU: 1.11
DSP: 1.03
GPS: 11613
BT: 1.11

I wonder why mine shows one revision lower for Bluetooth than the others that posted their versions?
I don't use BT so I won't worry about it. Possibly something that can't be upgraded via firmware I suppose.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know how to tell the year these were made? Not sure its in the serial number.
Yep, it's hard to decode the serial numbering they use.
The R30 was not available until mid 2018 and I bought mine a bit later in 2018 with the 160011xx serial number.
I think it was in May 2018 some time when the FCC granted the radios certification.
I've not seen anyone post a serial number of 16000xxx or lower so I assume 16001xxx is the lowest. Then I've only seen one person post a higher serial of 16002xxx so not much difference! The 16002xxx user is @letarotor himself so he has the newest that we are aware of.

I still think more would be posting about this issue if it's widespread but there's not much regarding any problems with the R30 here or on any of the old Yahoo Groups message boards that are now dead and the new groups.io message boards also does not mention many issues. There are several Icom related groups at groups.io. I'd think at least one of those groups would be full of messages if this problem is widespread.

I feel sorry for Brian (letarotor) if he was just unlucky and ended up with two duds in a row.
It's too bad he didn't record the serial number from the first one he sent back.

Maybe his 'away from his house' test will show that his works fine. Then he has a new challenge figuring out what is causing the issue!

Icom didn't officially announce the release until June 2018 according to this PDF press release they released.

Last edited:

N4DJC

I never noticed an issue with mine, purchased in 2019 IIRC. I kept one VFO on a set of P-25 frequencies and the other on Rail for the most part. I occasionally scanned A/B with Civilian Air and MilAir concurrently. I thought it was a hot receiver regardless of VFO.

Have you spoken with a technician at Icom yet?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I purchased mine December of 2019. I sent a pm to the op to contact icom USA to see what they have to say. They answered me pretty fast when I went through my other issue. To get burned twice really sucks if it is the radio. Let’s hope it works normal while on his walk.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Brian, when you had "roving" power outages last week, did the problem with the VFO-A show up then? The reason I am asking - if it did not, it could be something within your house causing a problem. While waiting for the rain to quit, you could always go to the Master Electric panel in your house, then turn off the master breaker and thus shutoff all electrical equipment. Easy to try, I know --- no fun turning everything back on and setting clocks, thermostats, etc.

Last edited:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
My guess is others have different BT hardware, so their firmware may correspond to that. I actually use the BT for audio, speaker or headset, and simultaneous remote control with zero problems. It looks like mine is slightly later than yours, but the same.

Serial: 160012xx

I wonder why mine shows one revision lower for Bluetooth than the others that posted their versions?
I don't use BT so I won't worry about it. Possibly something that can't be upgraded via firmware I suppose.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Just checked mine. A is definitely a little weaker on A versus B. I tuned to an airport about 18 miles as the crow flies. Have to use my outdoor discone to hear it. Its the automated message for planes flying in. A VFO almosts pegs but not a solid signal, fluctuates a little at the max signal. B VFO is solid with no fluctuation at all. Going to try some other frequencies. Mine is no where near the OP issues though from my quick testing.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
That makes perfect sense. I had something come up today that has made me have to deal with it and put off messing with the radio today. I'm trying to do some catching up now and I may take a walk down the street in a little while and see what happens reception wise. Thank you for explaining it and when I read your reply I thought that made real good sense. So I am going to check it out for sure.

I'm glad to know that this doesn't seem to be a wide problem that many are experiencing. That gives me hope that I can get a good radio. And as far as any close TV / broadcast stations, no they're haven't been any that I've ever seen or know of. I don't believe there's even any cell phone towers that are too close. I think the closest cell phone tower is likely at least a mile and a half or 2 miles away. But I have noticed that sometimes, when doing my programmed search between 225-380 MHz in the AM mode, I do occasionally have what sounds like some sort of radio station broadcast that bleeds over temporarily. I can't tell who it is and it's not constant. In fact most of the time it's not something I can find. But on occasion, I have heard that and it had me wondering the same thing. Could there be a broadcast station close by?

Thanks again for the helpful reply and I'll do some updating here once I can determine a few things.

Brian
COMMSCAN

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Just checked mine. A is definitely a little weaker on A versus B. I tuned to an airport about 18 miles as the crow flies. Have to use my outdoor discone to hear it. Its the automated message for planes flying in. A VFO almosts pegs but not a solid signal, fluctuates a little at the max signal. B VFO is solid with no fluctuation at all. Going to try some other frequencies. Mine is no where near the OP issues though from my quick testing.

Thanks for testing it and letting me know. That's interesting. It's obviously not quite as bad as what I'm experiencing but yet you do notice a large enough difference to be able to tell that A is not working or receiving quite as well as B.

It's been a little difficult trying to describe the issue without the videos because there are so many factors. I think that testing a frequency at a distance, where you're getting it good on B but not on A, is probably the best way to do it. It's not something that would be noticed on a real close signal that is coming in strong. So thank you for the test and the reply back!

Brian
COMMSCAN

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Yep, it's hard to decode the serial numbering they use.
The R30 was not available until mid 2018 and I bought mine a bit later in 2018 with the 160011xx serial number.
I think it was in May 2018 some time when the FCC granted the radios certification.
I've not seen anyone post a serial number of 16000xxx or lower so I assume 16001xxx is the lowest. Then I've only seen one person post a higher serial of 16002xxx so not much difference! The 16002xxx user is @letarotor himself so he has the newest that we are aware of.

I still think more would be posting about this issue if it's widespread but there's not much regarding any problems with the R30 here or on any of the old Yahoo Groups message boards that are now dead and the new groups.io message boards also does not mention many issues. There are several Icom related groups at groups.io. I'd think at least one of those groups would be full of messages if this problem is widespread.

I feel sorry for Brian (letarotor) if he was just unlucky and ended up with two duds in a row.
It's too bad he didn't record the serial number from the first one he sent back.

Maybe his 'away from his house' test will show that his works fine. Then he has a new challenge figuring out what is causing the issue!

Icom didn't officially announce the release until June 2018 according to this PDF press release they released.

I do think that my original receipt had the serial number from the first radio I received. I'm looking for that and I'm going to try to find it. With my vision being what it is, or really what it isn't, it may take me a little time. But I do know that I saved everything related to the purchase and I should have an email from gigaparts with the serial number of that first radio. It's got me curious too. I have a feeling it will probably be in the 16002xx... range also. They probably have a newer stock of radios. When I talk to them tomorrow, I may ask them if they have any of the older stock left. And then just do the firmware upgrade when I get it. Thank you for the link also. I'm going to check that out in just a little bit.

Brian
COMMSCAN

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Ahh...okay, I saw this on the Icom web page and this coincides with what I'm hearing and the improvement.
Triple conversion superheterodyne + Down converter (A band except WFM)
Double conversion superheterodyne (A band WFM, B band)
This may be the cause of our issues.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
This may be the cause of our issues.
That design provides me with an improvement of VFO A over VFO B. @bearcatrp can you explain how/why that design may be the cause of your issues?

@letarotor Also dial up a local FM broadcast station on VFO A. It should pop over to WFM mode, but make sure it is. Do you still have distortion? You can even try that while at home using the outdoor antenna you previously used. I would prefer you use that same antenna where you had the distortion. This will also tell us more.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
That design provides me with an improvement of VFO A over VFO B. @bearcatrp can you explain how/why that design may be the cause of your issues?

@letarotor Also dial up a local FM broadcast station on VFO A. It should pop over to WFM mode, but make sure it is. Do you still have distortion? You can even try that while at home using the outdoor antenna you previously used. I would prefer you use that same antenna where you had the distortion. This will also tell us more.

No, there's no distortion on VFO A when I tune in FM broadcast stations. I don't hear any distortion at all and I'm using the outdoor discone antenna. It did switch the mode to WFM and I tuned up and down the 88.1-107.9 frequency spectrum. Each station that I received sounded normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.