• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

radius sm 120

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrrider06

Premium Subscriber
hello i am trying to program this radio the sm 120. I read the codeplug, change the code plug, and them save the codeplug back to the radio. Question is while I am scanning I can only hear what is on the channel on the display. Is there something I am doing wrong, to why it will not scan????

cbrrider06

Premium Subscriber
yes I have done everything that I can thinks of but it will not scan.

gary123

be sure that the mic hang up is enabled. Remember that the display dosnt change untill an active channel is picked up when the unit is in scan.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
More specifically, the mic has to be grounded (usually via the mic hook being grounded to the radio itself or to the vehicle chassis) before a lot of Motorola mobiles will go into scan mode. Unhooking the mic breaks the ground, which generally causes the following to happen: - disables scan mode - reverts to the last selected channel or "home" channel - disables the receive PL/DPL putting the radio into CSQ receive mode so you can monitor for channel activity.

cbrrider06

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys I was not thinking. Here was my intentions. I was going to install this radio just for the purpose of listening. But by reading what you guys have posted, the mike must be pluged in and in the mike hanger. I noticed with the mike unplugged the scan icon would blink. but plug it in and put it in the hanger, and it would just stay on. Everything works fine now Thanks alot for the help!!!!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If you really don't want the mic connected, there is a simple way to make a jumper using a 10 cent RJ45 modular plug and a short piece of thin insulated wire that would keep the radio in the "mic on hook" state. If you or anyone you know works with CAT5 LAN cables, you could make it in about 20 seconds. If you would like to know which pins to jump, let me know and I'll post the info. I'm not posting it outright because I want to make sure you first understand that jumping the wrong pins CAN and probably WILL fry the radio!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You need to jump pins 3 (Hook) and 4 (Ground). These would be the 3rd and 4th contacts from the left when looking at the contacts side of the RJ45 plug (contacts facing up, tab facing down). Should be easy to see in the photo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.