RCS NextGen testing thread

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I remember a message from Don, the Northern part of the county will be finished by the end of September. SDSO SM and Esondido PD have not been updated yet. Chances are, a radio which had been programmed associated with the system on those TG's and has been turned off. Once programming has been done, they will be on all of the time as operators use the new programming. That is my understanding.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I would guess that fire engines operating on NextGen had a radio tuned into their PD agencies which were still on old RCS.

Paul

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
I’m hearing Escondido PD fine on NG West Cell. SMCD was heard this morning on NG, but not since. Only hearing it on RCS North Cell.

hodad200

Escondido is working a structure fire. Dispatch was on RCS, incident is working on NG. PD is still on RCS.

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Happily, San Marcos Sheriff and Escondido Police are both on NG this morning.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Escondido is working a structure fire. Dispatch was on RCS, incident is working on NG. PD is still on RCS.

Yeah, I missed the gigantic water main break the other morning because I never heard any Esco FD comms on RCS...same this morning, heard PD, but not a peep on Esco FD. Esco FD Disp is still phase 1 on the NextGen, hope that stays that way.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It should be noted that my RCS Motorolas are unable to affiliate on anything but 5A, so it appears that zone 5 is "unavailable" to anything but the NextGen subscriber radios. I am anticipating losing Northcomm any day now...but like I said before, I hope they keep the FD dispatch channels avaiable on the RCS and Phase 1 NextGen for some time.

Paul

ProLaw1

I’m hearing Northcom,Escondido FD and PD on the NG with no problem on my Uniden BCD325P2, And on a Side note I’m also starting to hear some Calfire on the NG West site as well

Mike_G_D

So far, it looks to me like they are simul/multi-casting talkgroups between the two systems, NextGen and RCS. That is, so far, on the north and west sites that I can hear, when I hear PD/SDSO/FD talk groups on the NextGen system I also hear them on the old RCS with a very slight delay (so a little echo effect). Not 100% sure this is always the case as the RCS still appears to have more traffic at this time (6PM, 9/26) and my programming on the scanner with the old RCS is different with a lot of additional conventional frequencies, etc., so they don't always "sync-up". It makes sense, though, that they would do this for at least a short time until everything is transferred and all of the kinks are worked out and reliability is sufficiently proven. As well as I can receive the new NexGen I am hoping they stay predominately phase 1 for a while! It sounds very good on my base scanners. Handheld still having severe problems - I think it is a matter of being old and needing a good "tune-up". I think the P25 systems are less forgiving than the older Motorola Type 2's in terms of frequency tolerance in receivers.

Of course, once they go full on P2 I will be out of luck until I can afford to get a P2 capable receiver. SDR dongles look like my most likely affordable future.

-Mike

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
It should be noted that my RCS Motorolas are unable to affiliate on anything but 5A, so it appears that zone 5 is "unavailable" to anything but the NextGen subscriber radios. I am anticipating losing Northcomm any day now...but like I said before, I hope they keep the FD dispatch channels avaiable on the RCS and Phase 1 NextGen for some time.

Paul

5A was left patched to accommodate Escondido Dispatch's backup radios, which will be shifted when Escondido PD is completely cut over.

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
So far, it looks to me like they are simul/multi-casting talkgroups between the two systems, NextGen and RCS. That is, so far, on the north and west sites that I can hear, when I hear PD/SDSO/FD talk groups on the NextGen system I also hear them on the old RCS with a very slight delay (so a little echo effect). Not 100% sure this is always the case as the RCS still appears to have more traffic at this time (6PM, 9/26) and my programming on the scanner with the old RCS is different with a lot of additional conventional frequencies, etc., so they don't always "sync-up". It makes sense, though, that they would do this for at least a short time until everything is transferred and all of the kinks are worked out and reliability is sufficiently proven. As well as I can receive the new NexGen I am hoping they stay predominately phase 1 for a while! It sounds very good on my base scanners. Handheld still having severe problems - I think it is a matter of being old and needing a good "tune-up". I think the P25 systems are less forgiving than the older Motorola Type 2's in terms of frequency tolerance in receivers.

Of course, once they go full on P2 I will be out of luck until I can afford to get a P2 capable receiver. SDR dongles look like my most likely affordable future.

-Mike

Yes, the talkgroups are bridged between the two sets of infrastructure while the agencies involved are transitioning. The bridging will be removed over the next couple of weeks.

Agencies using Phase 2 radios will have their conversations on the NG network in Phase 2; should a Phase 1 only radio join the talkgroup, then the conversation will 'revert' to Phase 1.