• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Receive only EDACS ProVoice ESK Extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrothwell

Is it possible to purchase a ProVoice capable radio and program it to receive only on an EDACS system with an ESK and Extended Addressing?

The system I am curious about is the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) system. There is very little accurate information about the system out there; I know is a ProVoice system and I would imagine that with a ProVoice capable radio, I would be able to monitor the system with it. The only thing I am unsure of is the ESK and Extended Addressing. There is so little about this system out there, I'm not even sure that's it is in fact using ESK or EA. I have programmed radios for EDACS standard systems but not really familiar with ProVoice, ESK, or EA.

DisasterGuy

Your best bet is to use a setup of an ESK capable trunking software such as Unitrunker and then use DSD+ to decode the ProVoice. To do this you will either need two scanners with discrimator taps or two capable USB SDR dongles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vans113

Premium Subscriber
I monitor a edacs provoice with esk system where I live I used 2 tapped scanners with unitrunker and dsd. If your interested I might be selling them very soon. Keep in mind after next year Harris has no support for this system so it might be getting updated there very soon

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

DisasterGuy

Not exactly true regarding the support window. There are certain parts for EDACS that are already NLA and other that will phase out through 2017. There are several self maintained EDACS systems I am aware of that plan to go through 2020 or 2025 before upgrading. Spare parts are very cheap right now to be able to keep a system going for a long time.

jrothwell

Thanks guys,

I do not live in range of the system so I would be looking to monitor via a portable.

I do not have, nor am I authorized to have the ESK or transmit on the system. I do not intend to. I have programmed many EDACS standard radios to receive only without issue.

So, from what I understand, it is not possible to program the radio to receive only if the system has ESK. If the system does not have ESK and it's just a ProVoice system, would it be possible?

DisasterGuy

While I do not endorse what you describe, there is nothing special or cryptic about ProVoice. If the radio is featured for ProVoice you simply select ProVoice within the Group Set in RPM.

RadioBoy69

Any ideas on why a p7100 would be set for Provoice, show D on the screen, when it receives, it switches to analog ? I have checked settings numerous times and have run out of ideas. I have a Jaguar 700p set the same way and receives fine. This is in conventional mode.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Couple things come to mind.

Either the radio isnt feature encrypted for PV, which isn't too likely as they usually work in PV mode conventional.

The RX/TX address values aren't correct and it's not receiving properly.

There is an alignment issue and the radio isn't detecting the incoming signal as digital.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
If the radio is receiving an analog transmission even though the talkgroup is set to digital, it WILL receive the analog transmission.

I make good use of this feature on my own radios. If a department that's currently running analog chooses to suddenly change one of their talkgroups to ProVoice, my radio is able to receive both
as ALL of my talkgroups are set to digital even though 99 percent of the system traffic is analog.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
That is a very good point that I forgot about Elroy, but i believe he is trying to monitor this in conventional mode as a workaround for ESK. I do know from working on DSD that ESK has slightly different sync bits so maybe the radio doesn't work as smooth as regular EDACS in this fashion?

RadioBoy69

The radio shows feature 29, transmits in provoice conventional, but for some reason switches to analog when receiving a provoice signal.
For the receive codes, it is set to the default, cant remember off hand what that is.
I assume that is similar to NAC and CTCSS tones for the provoice?
Haven't dealt much with Harris radios. Totally different that MOTO

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Yes, the RX/TX address is very similar to the NAC codes for P25.

You haven't said yet if this is conventional or EDACS ProVoice and if it is ESK or not.

RadioBoy69

Thank you all for the replys, good info. I will try that.
It is an ESK system with provoice, I am not trying to trunk track it, just listen in conventional mode.

wizski

Premium Subscriber
Is it possible to purchase a ProVoice capable radio and program it to receive only on an EDACS system with an ESK and Extended Addressing?

The system I am curious about is the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) system. There is very little accurate information about the system out there; I know is a ProVoice system and I would imagine that with a ProVoice capable radio, I would be able to monitor the system with it. The only thing I am unsure of is the ESK and Extended Addressing. There is so little about this system out there, I'm not even sure that's it is in fact using ESK or EA. I have programmed radios for EDACS standard systems but not really familiar with ProVoice, ESK, or EA.

New upgrade for your Uniden 436/536......

ProVoice: What is it and do I need to update my scanner for it? | Scanner Master Blog

ProVoice < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ce-scanning-upgrade-bcdx36hp-line-radios.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHEyPT2AdY

Update Sentinel Software FIRST!!
Install Firmware Update SECOND!!

1) myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area
2) Register your BCD436HP
3) Click on link next to BCD436HP to upgrade Provoice & Pay $49.99
4) Get electronic serial number from information section in the scanner
5) Input the serial number as stated in the webpage above in #1
6) The website link next to BCD436HP and allow you to download the key
7) go to the upgrade menu and input the key into the scanner and hit enter

ecps92

No need to wake up a thread that has been dormant for 18+ mo's
And the OP has not been here for over a Year
Last Activity: 11-02-2014 9:40 AM

New upgrade for your Uniden 436/536......

ProVoice: What is it and do I need to update my scanner for it? | Scanner Master Blog

ProVoice < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ce-scanning-upgrade-bcdx36hp-line-radios.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BHEyPT2AdY

Update Sentinel Software FIRST!!
Install Firmware Update SECOND!!

1) myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area
2) Register your BCD436HP
3) Click on link next to BCD436HP to upgrade Provoice & Pay $49.99
4) Get electronic serial number from information section in the scanner
5) Input the serial number as stated in the webpage above in #1
6) The website link next to BCD436HP and allow you to download the key
7) go to the upgrade menu and input the key into the scanner and hit enter

Status
Not open for further replies.