Reception problems with BC355N

Status
Not open for further replies.

jualbe11

My BC355N does not work well while my car is in motion(it became very choppy); I have a trek glass mount antenna. When my car is NOT in motion for around 10-15 seconds, my reception gets way better. Once I go past 10mph, the signal get very choppy; I switched antennas because I thought it was an antenna problem but it's not. FYI every station I had on the scanner were very close locations to were I live. I just ordered the BCT15X hoping that it was just that scanner. Is there a chance I might have the same problem with the next scanner; and what could have caused this problem?

dmg1969

What frequency range are you trying to receive? I had almost the same problem with my BC355N in my vehicle. My county is still low band and I had times when it would lock onto one of the channels with nothing but rushing static. I switched antennas and it really made no difference. I switched to a BC125AT and had a little improvement. I now have an HP-1 and I still get it from time to time. I think it is just the nature of low band. I don't get it on any other frequency ranges. I don't even get it on a neighboring county who runs Open Sky that is still patched to their low band fire channel...only my home county's police or fire dispatch channel. The BC355N is now my home scanner and works very well.

jualbe11

I'm listening to UHF and VHF.. But my problem is that when I'm not in motion, the signal becomes gradually clearer in like 10 seconds. When I start moving, it becomes very static/choppy like. I'm fairly ignorant in the "scanning field"; that explains why I cannot solve my connection issue.

dmg1969

It's probably electrical interference from something like the alternator. You might try an in-line noise filter.

noflipside

Have tried two of these in a Ford sedan, intially the first one worked great then we figured it crapped out, Got a new one and would not recieve anything either. Not the antenna as I put a old crystal scanner in and it works great. Units won't even work out of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.