• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Remember your CB radio call sign?

OCO

KFK6130 ..... My Dad's was KEZ0753........ My Father-in-laws, who got us both into it was KHJ1488.

Still got a couple of Courier Spartans, a '67 Browning R27-S23 , a Sonar FS-23 and my dad's Sonar business band amp (50 watt IIRC) .. Dust on all this stuff..

don_551

Premium Subscriber
KAGI0784, Oakland, Ca. Radio in the basement. J.C. Pennys "Pinto", 23 ch, had it wired to a full wave 2 element cubical quad. Had MURA D1104 powered microphone- all mongrel stuff. Tore it all down in '93.

RFI-EMI-GUY

In the 1980s I spotted an FCC white van on a hill in town overlooking the Los Angeles harbor. I knocked on the door and had a nice chat with the field engineer and he gave me a tour of the van. Most people would not know what it was except for a raised fiberglass top and a rotor with mast mounted on the rear bumper. I have a picture of that van somewhere.

If you get a knock on the door from the FCC it will not be the van, that happened to me and the field engineers were in a Ford sedan with blackwall tires and small hub caps.
prcguy
I remember being on a road trip somewhere in the late 80s and on the highway coming up behind what I recall was a big GMC motor home with antenna mounts all over it, a bunch of those spiral cone UHF microwave antennas in the back. It had Dept of Commerce plates. This is around the time the FCC did a big nationwide spectrum utilization study. The study revealed all the unused spectrum at the time.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

skiptalkr

KAED-6164 aka "Jersey Ranger" in the NE corner of NJ 5 mi. from the NY state line. Active from 1976-1980. Gosh, I miss the "eyeballs" and all the nice "seat covers" back in the day.

edweirdFL

I wrote the CB callsign my father got for the family on the back of my Social Security Card before laminating it way back when. I still have the same card today and it brings back fond memories every time I see it.

I Remember My CB License - KID0598

Just curious how many of you old timers on here still remember your CB radio call sign from the '60s and '70s?

In the beginning 60's I became CB licensed as KID0598, using a 23 channel Lafayette HE-20c and ground plane antenna as my base... and a Poly Comm with a 102 inch stainless steel whip as my mobile.

When I had my licensed one could check all 23 channels and hear nothing but static. It took a while, but eventually more and more people got licensed... until the channels became over crowded to the point where it became difficult to get a word in edge wise.

About 12 miles from where I lived there was a FCC monitoring station located in Canandaigua NY just off of Rt 332 and Macedon Rd. They had a antenna farm that just amazed me.

73's to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
KOG0554 out of Montgomery County PA in1966. I was only twelve so my father had to apply for the license. It was rejected because he only put down one C B unit owned so we had to resubmit saying that we had 2 CB radios because the law said it was for communication purposes for business or family only not for hobby. I had a Lafayette He90 and a collinear 2 ground plane on the roof... I got my Radio Shack patrolman Pro1 slide rule dial VHF hi Police monitor soon after. Man those were the days.