RS232C Cable to USB (PC) - Where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ds408

Hi All,
I just started in the scanning hobby and have acquired a Bearcat BCT8 scanner. I noticed in the manual it says I can run a RS232C cable from the "remote" jack on the back of my unit to a PC to program the scanner this way.

I am wondering - My PC mostly has USB ports (though I believe I have one serial port left?). Does anyone sell a cable that would go from this scanner remote port (9-pin female) to a USB port?? If so, please let me know.

Thanks very much!
-Dan

ds408

Where can I get one of these?

Hi, yes, that sounds like what I could use. I did a quick search and found a few choices for this. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

K7CAR

You can find lots of info. on USB-Serial here. http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/98215-before-you-buy-usb-1-cable.html I picked up one of the Monoprice cables for about $10 shipped. Many have driver problems with the various USB-Serial cables including the one sold by Uniden, so if you have a serial port on your PC I would go that route.

I'm not familiar with your scanner, so I don't know if that takes a special serial cable. If not then you can pick one up at Radio Shack or any place electronics are sold. Google search for you scanner or do a search here, I'm sure you can come up with lots of info.

wes910

If you have a frys electronics in your area go there and pick a PCI serial card 14.99 and a 9 pin serial cable 4.99. Thats what i did works perfect with my bct8.....I had a hard with a usb to serial cable

Status
Not open for further replies.