Sad News (loss of a member)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If you have room for two lines, may I suggest one line for "RIP (dates)" and another for something like "RR Contributor In Memoriam" or some such. That's sort of how we do it on another forum I'm on where they use vB 3.7.0.

w7sar

Premium Subscriber
Interesting thought to create something in the RadioReference community to recognize someone who has passed away.

Years ago when I visited a firehouse as a kid, firefighters told me about the 'bells' A death was three bells, repeated three times....

Another department uses a "Last Alarm" which is five bells, repeated three times, or it could be adapted to a "Signal 15"

Last Alarm Bell Ceremony
A portable fire department bell that is tolled at the conclusion of the ceremony.
The SFD “Last Alarm” script will be read (SFD Honor Guard Manual). At the end of the script all uniformed personnel will be called to “Attention”, instructed to “Present Arms” (hand salute), The bell will be rung (three sets of five). At the conclusion all personnel will be instructed to “Order Arms” (stop hand salute).

For RR, perhaps you could begin a "Signal Nine, RIP" to borrow the old three bells, three times?

This might be a nice way to create a "tradition" that might catch on. It would be a neat tribute to Brent and a way to have something created that would keep his memory alive for future listeners.

Here's the info on the fire bells (and RR could create it's own statement as to what a "Signal Nine" is):

The men and women of today’s fire service are confronted with a more dangerous work environment than ever before. We are forced to continually change our strategies and tactics to accomplish our tasks.

Our methods may change, but our goals remain the same as they were in the past, to save lives and to protect property, sometimes at a terrible cost. This is what we do, this is our chosen profession, this is the tradition of the fire fighter.

The fire service of today is ever changing, but is steeped in traditions 200 years old. One such tradition is the sound of a bell.

In the past, as fire fighters began their tour of duty, it was the bell that signaled the beginning of that day’s shift. Throughout the day and night, each alarm was sounded by a bell, which summoned these brave souls to fight fires and to place their lives in jeopardy for the good of their fellow citizen. And when the fire was out and the alarm had come to an end, it was the bell that signaled to all the completion of that call. When a fire fighter had died in the line of duty, paying the supreme sacrifice, it was the mournful toll of the bell that solemnly announced a comrade's passing.

We utilize these traditions as symbols, which reflect honor and respect on those who have given so much and who have served so well. To symbolize the devotion that these brave souls had for their duty, a special signal of three rings, three times each, represents the end of our comrades’ duties and that they will be returning to quarters. And so, to those who have selflessly given their lives for the good of their fellow man, their tasks completed, their duties well done, to our comrades, their last alarm, they are going home.

LGLHOOK

Like many on this board, I am to deeply saddened and in shock to hear of the loss of not only a member but a good friend. I too knew Brent very well via the message board and privately through email as well. From the looks at the comments, I don't have to say much about it to tell you what an amazing man Brent was and how deeply he will be missed by all who knew him.
My prayers and thoughts are with the family of Brent he will be missed.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Someone also suggested that we posthumously make him a DBAdmin... for which I'll do this weekend.

This would be very appropriate. Brent was extremely helpful to me as I moved from managing the conventional listings to the trunked listings for Utah. He never wanted credit or control over anything, and he always expressed appreciation for my work. Yet he was an Admin's best friend--always on the look-out for errors or duplications in the DB and trying to find the best solution to suggest.

Brent and I worked so closely to bring the UCAN system up-to-date a couple years ago that he made a special effort to attend a group gathering in Salt Lake City that I was coming to. It was a privilege to meet him, but I was sorry to see that he was disabled and had to carry an oxygen bottle. His person glowed with warmth, however. We had nice e-mail discussions on a variety of topics after that. When he learned of the mountain climbing adventures I was doing, he would often write and remind me to be careful.

For those of you that don’t know, Brent got his odd screen name (qlajlu) from a random password generator! He liked it so much that he started using it. :p

-Tim

Last edited:

Utah_Viper

If you have room for two lines, may I suggest one line for "RIP (dates)" and another for something like "RR Contributor In Memoriam" or some such. That's sort of how we do it on another forum I'm on where they use vB 3.7.0.

I like this ideas. I also spent the last day thinking about how ham radio has "silent key" and Law Enforcement and Fire have versions of "off duty." I wanted to come up with something fitting for our hobby, and something worthy to honor Brent.

"Lost Signal"

but still include the dates, as well and the "RR Contributor In Memoriam"

Reading his obituary it really is an honor to know a man who was so dedicated, yet always humble. I wish that I could attend the funeral. If anyone is able to attend please pass mine, aliong with all of us here on RR our deepest regards and sympathies.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I have been busy this past week so I really haven't had time to get on here. I think all of the ideas being floated on here are great. May he Rest in Peace.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
RR Service Award?

Lost signal sounds fitting or how about:

Open Mic (meaning they will always be connected and never log off)

These are all great ideas for our departed members, but Brent was extraordinary in his service to newcomers and to the RR community. Lindsay, maybe this would be an opportunity to create an annual RR Service Award (in qlajlu's honor) that would recognize someone who is especially helpful in the ways that Brent was. Admins and members could nominate someone for such an award each year. What do you think?

-Tim

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
These are all great ideas for our departed members, but Brent was extraordinary in his service to newcomers and to the RR community. Lindsay, maybe this would be an opportunity to create an annual RR Service Award (in qlajlu's honor) that would recognize someone who is especially helpful in the ways that Brent was. Admins and members could nominate someone for such an award each year. What do you think?
I like this idea better than any other I've read so far. But rather than assign this award to just anyone, or limit it to one per year, I think it should be reserved for the departed.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber

-Tim

This is a great idea. Throw in a free year of Premium Membership for the winner. Maybe even throw in 6 months Premium for all finalist for the award.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
I like this idea better than any other I've read so far. But rather than assign this award to just anyone, or limit it to one per year, I think it should be reserved for the departed.

I think what he was saying is to have the award named in his honor. Then give it out once a year to the "best of the best" here. Maybe you could add a page to the Wiki for all of the members that are gone.

WalkieTalkie

Premium Subscriber
This is a shock reading this, I was out of town and just came back in to read the news. Brent was a great guy and a gentleman and scholar to all that knew him and those that did not know him. He was always willing to help, he got me started and I will never forget the call with him walking me through my first setup. What a HELL of a guy, he may be gone but he wont be missed.

Rolfman

I would suggest

Member Emeritus

I don’t claim to have know Brent any more than others here but I do know that if RR was willing to establish some type of recognition for members helping out newbie’s or even just the lost and confused in his name it would make him happy.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I was able to atttend the services yesterday. The memories that his family shared show what a great man he was. As shown by all the comments from around the country, he touched many lifes, and will be missed.

Rest in Peace, friend.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Thanks for the report, Gary. And thanks for representing us at the funeral. I wish I lived closer and could have attended. I'm glad to hear it went well.

-Tim

Utah_Viper

I was able to atttend the services yesterday. The memories that his family shared show what a great man he was. As shown by all the comments from around the country, he touched many lifes, and will be missed.

Rest in Peace, friend.

Gary, I am really glad that someone was able to attend and represent all of us. Thank you.

kf7yn

I was at sea when Brent passed. I got an email from him a few days prior. What a shocking loss. He will be missed. Happy scanning from the other side...

Status
Not open for further replies.