Sad News (loss of a member)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill1

I knew him only by his posts on here, of which I read many. They were all well measured, well thought out and well written. He's a great loss to our community and I will miss his presence.

My prayers are with him and his family.

--Bill

Junior1970

This is definitely a shock! I knew him only from the board here but found him to be one of the more knowledgable individuals on not just the Utah forum but on RR as a whole. The work he was doing with the Wiki was remarkable.
Between one of my close friends fathers death last Friday (funeral tomorrow), finding out about my uncles passing today and now this it's been a rather depressing day.

Godspeed Brent (qlajlu)

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
WOW, never did i expect this. This really got to me. I always turned to him when i had problems with rebanding and he would ALWAYS go out of his way to help me. I am very sadden by this. I cant believe he is not with us no more(at least not on RR).

Last edited:

Observer1

I knew Brent well via email, sadly we never got a chance to meet in person. Noy only was he a proud veteran he was also a proud former Salt Lake City Police Officer and Utah Highway Patrol Trooper. He will indeed be missed.

In honor of his police service, glajlu is 10-42

Utah_Viper

This is so hard.... seeing so many people from all over the forum posting here really brings a tear. Brent was an amazing person and made a huge difference here. I will miss him. I know that i posted once already but its just something to see the support that he had provided so many, and not just us lucky enough to have him call Utah home.

I think it is also great those that have reminded us that before our good friend served us on these forums he served all of us in the Marines, and Law Enforcement.

I hope that we all can take time to help others here, make new members feel welcome, and try to do half of what he did.

theaton

Member N7VU
Database Admin
Long live qlajlu's spirit

Yes, this is terribly sad news. Brent's welcome messages set the tone for our forum and helped make us one of the most supportive and friendly forums on RR. He will be greatly missed. I'm glad I got to meet him at one gathering. His health was obviously not great, but he was the picture of warmth and care. I mourn with all of you.

-Tim

w7sar

Premium Subscriber
Brent lives about two blocks from my house. When I'd be in the park with grandkids or the puppies I'd see his home and see the light in his window he always kept lit. Few of the neighbors knew Brent because he was homebound...but what a great man. I wonder if his funeral will be in the local chapel? He was a member of our congregation but could not attend because of his health.

bchris

I am reluctant to post because I know my words cannot do justice for this wonderful person. He has spent an unbelievable amount of time and effort helping people in all of the forums on this web site. When I browse other forums I find his name all over the place. I can't even keep up with the Utah forum, let alone all the others. Somehow he did it. I would like to point out that 1 or 2 years ago when I joined the forum, his posts were under a hundred. I was amazed at how quickly his numbers shot up! From this I concluded that he must have recently changed his screen name or his post count was otherwise reset. As someone else noted, his post count says alot, but that was only in the last 2 years! blantonl, do you know what his previous or total count is?

The most amazing thing is that I am sure the attitude and amount of effort he put into these forums applied to many other situations in his life. On occasion I would try to imagine some of the things he must have seen and done in his lifetime. I am sure it is truly more than I can imagine.

Though we never met in person, I considered Brent a personal friend. We did exchange emails and PM's sometimes. Although he may have been a tiny bit short with people on a very rare occasion, he always treated me with the utmost courtesy and respect. I always appreciated that, and I wish I still had the chance to tell him so. Goodbye Brent. As I did tell you many times... You are a Good Boy.

Brent Christensen

Last edited:

fredrick

my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and his family here at radioreference may god bring you all peace with your loss fred

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I wonder if his funeral will be in the local chapel? He was a member of our congregation but could not attend because of his health.

Does anyone have any info on when/where the funeral will be? I'd like to attend, if possible.
My condolences to his family. He will truely be missed.

Highpockets

On Thursday 12/3 at 1:04 AM I received an email from Brent's daughter that he had passed away, I have not received any other info. He may have passed sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday, I have searched and at this time I have come up empty handed. If any one local to Brent has any info, please post it.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Gosh, this is terrible. He was always very helpful to our members here.

This was his last post:

http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/87264-pro-2096-discriminator.html#post1206892

It deeply saddens me to inform the Utah Forun that qlajlu has passed away, it happened sometime Monday night.

I will miss my friend and I ask all the members to have his family in their thoughts and prayers.

I know this is all fresh in peoples minds, but here is an idea. Why not create a Christmas Scanner give away in Brent's honor?

Give money, used scanners, or do what you can for those folks who are home bound or handy-caped this time of year? It could be a fundraiser online or locally.

Scan ON!

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Very sad week for RR.
Lindsay should change his member title under his forum name.

Keep a eye on this page. Plus you can leave a comment.
Should someone leave a link to this topic on that website comment area.

Rasmussen Mortuary Obituaries
Brent D. Fowles
April 4, 1944 - December 2, 2009
Funeral Services are Pending. ...
http://www.rasmussenmortuary.com/obituaries.html?id=147
http://www.rasmussenmortuary.com/obituaries.html

Some more about his life on this forum member page.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=29344

ghostdog

this is sad news for the holdays he was a real good guy for helping all of us out with our thread no mater what the qustion was he seem to have a answer and the was great my prayers go out to his family

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Can anyone suggest an appropriate member title for Brent (and our other members who have passed)? I know that silent key is used in the Ham Community, however I'd like to come up with something in our community that shows the contributions these individuals have made to this site and our hobby.

Someone also suggested that we posthumously make him a DBAdmin... for which I'll do this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.