San Diego Co/Imperial Co Regional Communications System (RCS) Question Thread

SCPD

QRT
CHP North County

I believe 124 is the Comm Center staff.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Well what I was hearing was the dispatcher calling the units out in the field 124 and then dispatcher would say how are receiving San Diego.And now I'm hearing stuff from CHP on L/E North Tac 4 sounds like routine traffic no emergency

SCPD

QRT
CHP North County

Well what I was hearing was the dispatcher calling the units out in the field 124 and then dispatcher would say how are receiving San Diego.And now I'm hearing stuff from CHP on L/E North Tac 4 sounds like routine traffic no emergency
This was not really RCS related more CHP Related only

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
Test Patches

Law enforcement agencies will frequently conduct test patches with other agencies for training and to insure all the equipment is working correctly. The test involves field units from two or three agencies conducting radio checks with each other while the communication centers monitor. If an agency does not have a field unit free to participate, a communications center employee will often use a hand held radio to simulate a field unit.
That might be what you heard.

Elpablo

Correct me if I am wrong but I think I remember 124 units are scales/check point related. Can anyone else confirm? I know they have been around for years (as in over 10) but there are very few of these units.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
RCS Intellirepeater monitoring

How would one monitor an RCS Intellirepeater site on a scanner? I would assume you just pop it in as a conventional frequency, but are their any NAC's or such to be concerned about? Are the Intellirepeaters identified by a scanner as a "trunking" site, if pooled with normal CC's would a Uniden lock onto it if no other sites were in range?

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Paul,

IR sites are trunking sites. You load them the same as any other RCS site; program in the control channels as listed in the database.

You will generally only hear activity when a user radio is affiliated with the site.

Don

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Paul,

IR sites are trunking sites. You load them the same as any other RCS site; program in the control channels as listed in the database.

You will generally only hear activity when a user radio is affiliated with the site.

Don

Would these be listed as sites on the database for the RCS? I don't see any sites listed as single frequency, so maybe I am not understanding correctly what an Intellirepeater is?

Paul

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Would these be listed as sites on the database for the RCS? I don't see any sites listed as single frequency, so maybe I am not understanding correctly what an Intellirepeater is?

Paul

Paul,

It is not a single channel device. An IR site is one where the trunking 'smarts' are contained within the site radios, rather than within the central core. (In the case of the simulcast cells, each has a 'Prime Site Controller' that manages the trunking in that cell.)

The network is operated by a central 'core' computer. Each cell (simulcast or IR) has data and voice links to the core. Each cell is capable of managing the trunking for that cell if the links to the core are broken (this is known as 'Site Trunking'). The loss of the trunking smarts in a cell results in 'FailSoft', with each repeater 'opening up' and passing traffic.

IF you look at the RR database for the RCS, sites 010 - 051 are IR sites. Not every voice channel in each IR cell appears in the database (Harmony has 8 channels, for example. Calexico shows the control channel; the 4 voice channels are not shown.).

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Ah non simulcast site.....I had this weird idea that it was a solo single frequency repeater that was buzzing a control channel waiting for users...maybe I was confusing them with one of the MotoTRBO systems.

Thanks for the clarification, I feel dumb.

Paul

celbaseman

Feed Provider
Have been searching RCS North Zone and have picked up several new TG's. Ones I have kind of ID'd are:

1872 SDGE Electric side Ramona Base?
1936 SDGE Electric side Possibly Station L
1968 SDGE Electric side something about Station TCM
2192 SDGE Electric side E Rock?? Dispatch.

36144 North County Fire Tac also called NCS Tac

I have a bunch of hits I am still trying to figure out.

disp10

Premium Subscriber
Have been searching RCS North Zone and have picked up several new TG's. Ones I have kind of ID'd are:

1872 SDGE Electric side Ramona Base?
1936 SDGE Electric side Possibly Station L
1968 SDGE Electric side something about Station TCM
2192 SDGE Electric side E Rock?? Dispatch.

36144 North County Fire Tac also called NCS Tac

I have a bunch of hits I am still trying to figure out.

NCF tac. It's been around for quite awhile. Surprised it's not in the database.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Imperial County

Does anyone know what talkgroups for Imperial County cross-talk over onto the SD County East cell? There was an El Centro pursuit the other week, and they made it almost to Alpine before pulling out, tried searching the east cell, no dice though.

Paul

Scanguysd

CHP is a partner in the NextGen system, so I don't think El Cajon is going anywhere soon. Discussions about Oceanside and San Diego continue.

It's been awhile, but any updates if Oceanside and San Diego will join or are still talking about it?

Scanguysd

Thanks for the update, just curiosity what would it cost for an agency of the that size to come onto system.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I think on the RCS website docs or minutes, there was a listing of what each agency is putting out in dollars, how many radios they will be using etc.

Paul

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
SDSO Rural is nearly always patched to Poway. Only time I have ever heard it unpatched is during a major incident.

Thanks for this. I used to watch North Zone quite a bit on unitrunker and this echos my experience as well.