San Francisco Public Safety going Digital June 2021

LoveMoto

Does encrypted digital traffic have any different or worse tonal qualities than unencrypted digital traffic?

rooivalk

Visiting the City and the radio system this week. The audio quality is atrocious. I'd estimate the amount of traffic that simply isnt understandable is greater than 50%. Almost constant "10-9"'s , with some transmissions sounding like a flow of unintelligible garble.

Eng74

Visiting the City and the radio system this week. The audio quality is atrocious. I'd estimate the amount of traffic that simply isnt understandable is greater than 50%. Almost constant "10-9"'s , with some transmissions sounding like a flow of unintelligible garble.
What radio/antenna were you using? Also were the 10-9’s all coming from the same part of the city, one department, or one user?

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
I've been noticing that the audio quality varies greatly in different locations. I've got a BCT996p2 just sitting in a rack at 365 Main (Main/Harrison basically, a datacenter building) with a mag mount scanner antenna on the top of the rack and it sounds surprisingly good. Same radio at 20th and Bryant (3 miles away) sounded terrible. I'm assuming it has something to do with simulcast issues.

Eng74

Try using a smaller antenna, that might help some also the ATT. I know with the old system I would run my PSR 600 with no antenna from Candlestick Point and all over the city because the signal was so strong.

mharris

Premium Subscriber
Hi Gang - I'm coming to SF in a few weeks. Just to confirm, all law is encrypted as indicated on this site, correct?