Santa Cruz Police Release First Consumer-Focused iPhone App in Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Isn't it ironic how so many departments put out their business and work out there on webpages, apps and audio feeds without hiding much, for their citizens to see and be informed while many other departments and agencies just keep hiding further and further with encryption, dragging their feet on FOIA requests, etc.?

Anyway, without distracting further from the topic, this app is really cool and I'm glad to see there's many departments and folks out there still with the integrity and trust to still do this for the public.

GrumpyGuard

Kudos to Santa Cruz Police. I will give them two thumbs up. May be more departments will follow suit. The nice thing is for officer safety they will be able to control the sensitve transmissions as needed.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
That is very cool.. Big thumbs up to them for being open and forthcoming with their citizens. Nice PR move.

Isn't it ironic how so many departments put out their business and work out there on webpages, apps and audio feeds without hiding much, for their citizens to see and be informed while many other departments and agencies just keep hiding further and further with encryption, dragging their feet on FOIA requests, etc.?

Anyway, without distracting further from the topic, this app is really cool and I'm glad to see there's many departments and folks out there still with the integrity and trust to still do this for the public.

::cough cough:: Orange County, CA ::cough cough::

operator219

I downloaded this and checked it out, its very interesting. My only concern would be call chasers (not that there is anything wrong with that) but the ones who go a bit over board (I have several acquaintances that go over board). This maybe the start of a trend among departments in rural areas in in some metropolitan areas. I have a friend and his company makes applications for iPhone,iPad,Mac and I have a cool idea for another application like this and will post in a separate forum to gain thoughts from people as it will require some input for public safety and scanner enthusiasts.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
San Ramon Valley FD near San Francisco has a new system that will alert your cellphone to nearby CPR calls if you sign up to help

Dann

Premium Subscriber
I lived in Santa Cruz For Years,So it will be nice to listen to them,They are still on VHF.Thumbs up

trooperdude

Database Admin
Most departments incorporate a small delay in audio and reporting, so perhaps the call won't be there to chase. :wink:

I downloaded this and checked it out, its very interesting. My only concern would be call chasers (not that there is anything wrong with that) but the ones who go a bit over board (I have several acquaintances that go over board). This maybe the start of a trend among departments in rural areas in in some metropolitan areas. I have a friend and his company makes applications for iPhone,iPad,Mac and I have a cool idea for another application like this and will post in a separate forum to gain thoughts from people as it will require some input for public safety and scanner enthusiasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.