Sc230

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepas

I am thinking about buying a new SC230 scanner. I have a sportcat 150 that is about 12 years old.
It seems that these now need a program to run them as they are programed at the track. I have some questions that may seem very newbie, but I have to ask and know b4 I buy.
1. do they come with a program in them?
2. I see that there seem to be programs available to purchase for them, do they interact or does one screw up the other?
3. Which is the best program to buy ?
4. I will mostly be using this for Nascar and local tracks, will they pick up the cars at the local track like
they are supposed to at Nascar?
I would be very open to any other suggestions and information you may have before I purchase.
TKS,
nepas

NWtoSFO

Hey Nepas,

I had the SC230 for a few years and used it at several NASCAR races and several local tracks. It's a nice scanner, but it wasn't easy to program. It does not come with a program. It did, however, come with a cable, as most Unidens do. I purchased Scancat Lite to program it and have only used that program a few times, all for that scanner. If you're not familiar with systems, it'll take a bit to get used to. The scanner picks up a wide range of frequencies, including 800 mhz, but it does not trunktrack, which is why I hardly used it much. After I bought my 346xt, I set a couple of systems for different races and used it the exact same way as I did the SC230. If you aren't going to need it for any trunked systems, then go for it. If you want a scanner that'll also trunktrack, then I'd go with a 246 or 346xt.

ShotgunShells

Premium Subscriber
FreeScan supports the SC230. That will make it quite easy to program. Not sure if you can import NASCAR frequencies into it but it's pretty easy to enter then into the system manually. The SC230 is a great little radio.

nepas

TKS for the replies,but acouple of questions.
NWtoSFO:
I am not a scanner person but what do you mean by "trunktrack" or "trunked systems"( in simple terms)
ShotgunShells:
If I put a program in it like FreeScan could I just go to a race and get programmed there and have it still work
(write over the first program) so I could enjoy the race or would the two programs clash and I have no fun
and my wife not like
me anymore, i.e. would it just overwrite FreeScan and work normally?
TKS,
nepas

Last edited:

ShotgunShells

Premium Subscriber
You could put in all the race codes and just simply creat a new system. You could completely lock out anything but the race talk. FreeScan is pretty awesome and it only takes a very small amount of time to learn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.