Scanner antenna setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmg1969

I was up crawling around the attic yesterday making some additions and changes to my setup.

I had an OCFD laying up there being unused. I had built it a while ago and used it for a short time. I ran some RG-6 to that and place it on the far end of the attic.

My current attic mounted antenna was a Hustler MOR-B mounted to a joist using an L bracket and fed by RG-58. I removed the RG-58 in favor of RG-6. That is located about 8 feet away from the OCFD.

Finally, I added an ST-3 for VHF-HI and UHF. That is also about 8 feet further down from the Hustler. That also uses RG-6. It picks up VHF-HI and UHF better than either the Hustler or the OCFD. And, surprisingly, does fairly well on low band.

That attic is no fun to try to work in. It's only about 3 feet and the peak and you have to crawl along angled roof trusses and either work on your knees or try to lay across several trusses. Not really even any room to drag up a piece of wood to ease the pain on your knees. Even with knee pads, they hurt like hell today and are red and bruised. A few quick pics.

OCFD:

9494f3f7534f9780244266ce08cb8bd4.jpg

Hustler MOR-B

8b20362ee33bf7f774dde95767280d6b.jpg

Antennacraft ST-3

f8bfe2eda2f2b8ee55adffe33f53324b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dmg1969

Wow. Yes, I would kill to have that kind of room. If I did, I would have an ST-2 up there for sure.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Too bad we can't rename this thread "Attic scanner antennas with pictures". We all read dozens of, "Can I put an antenna in my attic?" or "How do I put an antenna in my attic?" or "What antenna can I use in my attic?" questions posted in nearly every forum here on Radio Reference. Everyone who asks those questions needs to see the pics you guys have posted here. Hopefully the RR search engine is good enough to find this thread when "attic antenna" is searched (assuming the person with the question bothers to search in the first place). This is great reference info for VHF/UHF attic antennas.

nanZor

Oh yeah - attic fun!

Having to install late at night since the temp is 115F during the day. Of course everyone is sleeping so you have to be very quiet and try not to put your foot through the ceiling.

And no install is considered complete until you've backed your head into a nail. Covered in fiberglass itching like crazy. Looks simple but you have some major props from me....

dmg1969

Too bad we can't rename this thread "Attic scanner antennas with pictures". We all read dozens of, "Can I put an antenna in my attic?" or "How do I put an antenna in my attic?" or "What antenna can I use in my attic?" questions posted in nearly every forum here on Radio Reference. Everyone who asks those questions needs to see the pics you guys have posted here. Hopefully the RR search engine is good enough to find this thread when "attic antenna" is searched (assuming the person with the question bothers to search in the first place). This is great reference info for VHF/UHF attic antennas.

I added a few tags to help out.

dmg1969

Oh yeah - attic fun!

Having to install late at night since the temp is 115F during the day. Of course everyone is sleeping so you have to be very quiet and try not to put your foot through the ceiling.

And no install is considered complete until you've backed your head into a nail. Covered in fiberglass itching like crazy. Looks simple but you have some major props from me....

Absolutely! The last time I was up was to put the Hustler MOR up there and unhook to OCFD. It was warm outside, which made it hot as hell in the attic. It was maybe in the 30's outside when I was up there on Saturday and MAYBE 40 up in the attic, but I was plenty warm with of all my physical activity. And I managed to do it without piking my head onto a roofing nail!

And my wife kept telling me "you'd better not fall through the ceiling". After seeing me go up the ladder and in the attic, she was like "Wow...you're like a little monkey". LOL!

brcoz

Premium Subscriber
I mounted my antenna outside. It is not very high and close to the chimney. I thought I would mount in the attic like in the last photo. My antenna is the same type. Would it be better to move it inside? Where I live we do not get many thunder storms and the antenna is not grounded. Looks like I'll move it inside. Thanks for the photos.

dmg1969

I mounted my antenna outside. It is not very high and close to the chimney. I thought I would mount in the attic like in the last photo. My antenna is the same type. Would it be better to move it inside? Where I live we do not get many thunder storms and the antenna is not grounded. Looks like I'll move it inside. Thanks for the photos.

Outside and as high as practical is best, but it really should be grounded. You may not get many storms, but it just takes one stray hit to cause you a lot of damage. I will eventually put one outside (Maybe an ST-2). I debated doing just that, but decided to do what I posted here and maybe revisit mounted an antenna outside in the spring.

KK4TTR

HOA restrictions for me. I've got the scanner, dual band, and I'm working on getting HF.

No sympathy for me, I know. It was 30 F outside, and a perfect 50 F in the attic for my install. I still broke a sweat lugging everything up! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.