Scanner models that receive 380 MHz on FM?

KN6LHP

For some background, I live next to Vandenberg SFB, they transmit the launch countdown nets on 386.300 MHz FM. Although I have transceivers that will receive 380 on FM and work just fine, I'd like to have a standalone receiver that can receive it. Thanks.

I used to own a Radio Shack PRO-2021 that did this but I ended up selling it. Not smart in hindsight.

BinaryMode

A NooElec or RTL-SDR SDR (Software Defined Radio) using the program SDR# is about as standalone as you can get unless you're wanting a base unit.

Fore RadioShack/Realistic

RigPix Database - RadioShack/Realistic - Pro-2029 (20-9404) (Europe?)

RigPix Database - RadioShack/Realistic - Pro-2042 (20-9464) (What I own. Very cool scanner)

Now head on over to eBay or Goodwill's auction website.

May have forgot these:

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
I use an older Radio Shack scanner for Mil Air that purchased off Ebay the PRO-2045. This scanner has button to be able to change the receiving mode between AM or FM.

So this scanner would work for you requirements.

BinaryMode

Ah, in addition to the 2045, I missed these two:

That should take care of all Mil Air band capable base station RadioShack scanners as far as I can see.

Interesting to note from the rigpix website, it appears the Pro-2004 manufactured in 1986 was the first RadioShack base station capable of receiving the Mil Air band and cost $400. RigPix Database - RadioShack/Realistic - Pro-2004 (20-119)

And the first handheld and first ever MIL Air band capable RadioShack scanner was the Pro-30 manufactured in 1983 and cost $300. RigPix Database - RadioShack/Realistic - Pro-30 (20-131)

BinaryMode

I’d agree the Pro-2042 (Very Cool) or it’s semi twin Pro-2035 can do that.

In addition to the one I have here now, I had another with the Optoelectronics OS535 board. :D I since sold it on eBay and now I think I shouldn't have done that.

hill

Premium Subscriber
The PRO2052 doesn't have ability to change the receiving mode from AM or FM l, so may not work.

Many of older scanners did AM in 380 range before this was changed to military land mobile band when still used in AM for Mil Air.

Last edited:

10-43

Premium Subscriber
For some background, I live next to Vandenberg SFB, they transmit the launch countdown nets on 386.300 MHz FM. Although I have transceivers that will receive 380 on FM and work just fine, I'd like to have a standalone receiver that can receive it. Thanks.

I used to own a Radio Shack PRO-2021 that did this but I ended up selling it. Not smart in hindsight.
Take a serious look into the BCT15X. Full 225-400 Mhz coverage. Configurable to 25Khz frequency steps and AM mode on any frequency range.

Best scanner I have ever owned for aviation scanning. Civilian or MilAir. I worked Air Field Systems Maintenance in the US Air Force and have had the pleasure of using and maintaining a lot of great aviation radios. The reception capability of the BCT15X compares quite favorably to the best of those.

I use it only for Civilian and MilAir. Easily configurable for 25Khz spacing and AM mode in 137-144, 148-150.8 MHz band for MilAir as well as the 225-400 MHz range.

It is an analog trunk tracker, but I don't use it for that.

Sound is clear and loud. Sensitivity is very good, selectivity very good. Very good image and intermod rejection.

Available from Amazon, ships from and sold by Amazon so easy to return. Bought mine there July 2014. It was the best price then and seems to be the best price now. It comes with an RS-232 programming cable, but you don't need to buy the USB programming cable. Just get a good USB to RS-232 cable. I use this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QCH753K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Download and use FreeScan to program. It is free. FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

10-43

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to list the Amazon price for the Uniden BCT15X. $171.55

You would spend half that or maybe more for a used scanner on eBay to get the 225-400 Mhz coverage in AM mode, but not even half the performance and configurability of the BCT15X

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to list the Amazon price for the Uniden BCT15X. $171.55

You would spend half that or maybe more for a used scanner on eBay to get the 225-400 Mhz coverage in AM mode, but not even half the performance and configurability of the BCT15X
The OP wants FM mode for 380Mhz.

bearcatrp

My old RS Pro 26 works fine for mil air and FM when needed. But don't limit your self for a scanner for 1 function. Get the Uniden 160DN for $249. Covers DMR and NXDN, no trunking capabilities. Good price for what it comes with. There is a used 325P2 in the for sale section that will work for you plus it has P25 Phase 1 and 2. Good luck on your decision.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
The OP wants FM mode for 380Mhz.

That doesn't preclude the BCT15X. It sounded like he has FM on 380. If Vandenburg is operating FM on 386.3 that would be unique unless it was for P25 or satcom. I wonder what the purpose of transmitting the countdown is, it probably wouldn't be for aircraft associated with the launch if in FM mode. FM mode is rare for aircraft comms. There are radios that can do AM and FM, but are usually not installed in aircraft. They are usually manpack radios used by forward air controllers.

Last edited:

IC-R20

LoBand Nation
That doesn't preclude the BCT15X. It sounded like he has FM on 380. If Vandenburg is operating FM on 386.3 that would be unique unless it was for P25 or satcom. I wonder what the purpose of transmitting the countdown is, it probably wouldn't be for aircraft associated with the launch if in FM mode. FM mode is rare for aircraft comms. There are radios that can do AM and FM, but are usually not installed in aircraft. They are usually manpack radios used by forward air controllers.
NFM FM WFM FMB. I love the BCT15x, some communications receiver like with the benefits of a scanner that make it more useful for hunting. I was just using mine at church yesterday in the 70 MHz range to fix the assistive listening system.

ccs247

Premium Subscriber
NFM FM WFM FMB. I love the BCT15x, some communications receiver like with the benefits of a scanner that make it more useful for hunting. I was just using mine at church yesterday in the 70 MHz range to fix the assistive listening system.

VSFB broadcasts the terminal countdown on discrete frequency 386.3 FMN so viewers at designated launch viewing sites know when liftoff is about to occur.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
VSFB broadcasts the terminal countdown on discrete frequency 386.3 FMN so viewers at designated launch viewing sites know when liftoff is about to occur.
That's interesting they would use 386.3 FMN. They could have used an FM broadcast channel at a few watts. That would be more accessible.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
It's a very versatile analog scanner with great performance. Seems to be overlooked too often. For the price it is an outstanding deal.