Scanner Purchase Help Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomRW

I am in Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee. I want to buy a scanner that will permit me to listen to local and area police and other emergency responders. I know almost nothing about scanners, except that it is necessary to select one that has the capability to do what I want it to do. I need help in making that decision. I think I understand that I need a scanner with "trunking" capability, but I don't know about "analog" and "digital" requirements. Can you help me select a scanner that will meet the objectives I have described? Price is a consideration, so please give me suggestions that don't assume I have an unlimited budget. Thanks.for your consideration.
Tom Williams, Chattanooga, TN.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
For Chattanoga I think digital will be the way to go. I think currently they may simulcast in analog but eventually theyll be all digital. There's several digital models to choose from so just put in digital scanner in your search engine and go to town. The major manufacturers are Radio Shack, GRE, and Uniden. Have fun and good luck. Also you said price was a consideration? Digital scanners aren't cheap new. eBay is a good place for cheaper but used radios.

Last edited:

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
Your area is going digital for local emergencies or widespread disasters only. All the rest will remain analog.

An analog scanner will cost half as much as a digital. One good, trunking, analog scanner is the Uniden BCT15X. They can be programmed with the freeware "FreeSCAN."

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Where did you hear that Chattanooga would not go digital? Most of the surrounding counties on the TVRS have gone digital, esp in Northern GA.

Status
Not open for further replies.