SDR# SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Scanner updated

Magpie

Henk - the zoom/contrast etc. set to zero will have no effect on whether the plugin scans or not. They are display settings. In this instance what do you mean by changing the scanrange to 8MHz wide? 137 - 143.975MHz as a range will work perfectly well.
Hi, I ment to say I couldn't see Fiann's spectrum analyser move due to his settings. This made it more difficult to figure out what was going wrong.
Yes 137-143.975 will run OK but I do notice a more quite base line with 8 MHz range blocks.

Magpie

.. but that's my humble opinion :)

V2 scanner runs on both my R2 PCs now, I'm happy with it.
Hi, I ment to say I couldn't see Fiann's spectrum analyser move due to his settings. This made it more difficult to figure out what was going wrong.
Yes 137-143.975 will run OK but I do notice a more quite base line with 8 MHz range blocks.

morfis

fiann, both videos again show that things are working correctly (I would still fine tune the trigger and hysteresis though) .... what is it that you think isn't working?

fiann

fiann, both videos again show that things are working correctly (I would still fine tune the trigger and hysteresis though) .... what is it that you think isn't working?

I can use only pause and play button rest is greyed out

IT scans IT Stay up 1 freq then jump to another i cant search in 137.00 to 143.975

morfis

I can use only pause and play button rest is greyed out

IT scans IT Stay up 1 freq then jump to another i cant search in 137.00 to 143.975

I'm sorry fiann, I am not understanding what you think isn't working.
The buttons appear correct and the scanner is running. Your videos show it running correctly for both shown ranges.

With the whole range within a single bandwidth span you won't see the scrolling effect that you do on your UHF or VHF airband scans - every step is visible all of the time.

thewraith2008

For those who like the bleeding edge releases, I have uploaded v2.1.0.0 of the Frequency Scanner.
- See the usual download location.

This is bit of a experimental release with some fixes for SDR# 1780+ (1782 at time of writing)

See the changlog.txt for more details
- Has info on somethings that I've noticed wrong with plug-in in SDR# 1780+.

NOTE: For the new UI interface in SDR# 1780+, there will most likely be more issues with different parts
of the plug-in UI, I'll try and fix if I get time (and if I know how too). No guarantees though.

I have done limited testing with SDR# 1700, 1766, 1782.
Let me know how you find it working with SDR# 1780+

MD5 HASH: b442be719e1698a1f46a1546a7a677fe

morfis

For those who like the bleeding edge releases, I have uploaded v2.1.0.0 of the Frequency Scanner.

with v1782 as that's what I was playing with at the moment:
control panel resizes fine (on 2.0.0.0 it worked up to a point)
Text to show active range displayed when visualisation hasn't got the cursor - shown twice when cursor present
Visualisation/analyser window now defaults to the configured position correctly
Visualisation/analyser window correctly closes and re-opens (on 2.0.0.0 it left orphan window/s)
Scanning etc. no issues that I have noticed

Will play more later but for now it's looking good - thanks for the quick fixes

morfis

With cursor
Clipboard01.jpg

When cursor is over the window
Clipboard02.jpg

Text might be better placed in the unused dark area to the left of the 'wait' timer so the lower area looks less cluttered.

Autohide seems to work ok though I haven't tried it in every possible permutation of positions.
The resizing of the control panel fails if you try and reduce it below the default 'Configure Stop scan' boxes but this is unlikley to matter as the display is by that point at a sensible minimum

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

The 'save new' area if shown does scale correctly.

thewraith2008

@morfis

Thanks for the details.

The bottom area of channel analyzer is just an experiment. It may or may not stay, I'm open to ideas.
- Maybe as you suggest place where existing 'debug info' would go or add line under it.
- Maybe add an option to enable/disable elements to use in debug info line(s).
- Maybe add an option to disable bottom info area.

It's mainly to show some extra info about the previous/active channel and channel where mouse cursor is pointing too.
Is this info of interest to any one?

At this stage I don't see anyway to set or enforce window sizes with this new interface.
I cannot stop the window been reduced below the minimum size, SDR# just ignores it.
SDR# does not seem to restore windows to the values that are saved in "SDRSharp.Layout.xml".

The frequency activity list (show in some scan modes), I was going to have it go to the bottom of area, but that caused problems for older SDR# versions (1700).

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
It's working well for me in SDR# version 1781.
Where does the scanner program get the frequency labels from? Is it from "Frequency manager"?

morfis

It's working well for me in SDR# version 1781.
Where does the scanner program get the frequency labels from? Is it from "Frequency manager"?

Documentation has been created to help with it's installation and usage, please read it.

...where you will have read:

"The Frequency scanner can use the database created by either the standard Frequency Manager or the Frequency Manager plug-in* 1 created by Vasili."

thewraith2008

Another bleeding edge release, I have uploaded v2.1.1.0 of the Frequency Scanner.
- See the usual download location.

This is bit of a experimental release with some fixes for SDR# 1780+ (1782 at time of writing)

See the changlog.txt for more details
- Has info on somethings that I've noticed wrong with plug-in in SDR# 1780+.

NOTE: The new UI interface in SDR# 1780+, there will most likely be more issues with different parts
of the plug-in UI, I'll try and fix if I get time (and if I know how too).

I have done limited testing with SDR# 1700, 1766, 1782.

MD5 HASH: 60698642e1035a9b4203acd91e94951c

morfis

Another bleeding edge release, I have uploaded v2.1.1.0 of the Frequency Scanner.

Again 1782 and as I'd use it rather than every possible variation (happy to test other specific things or with specific versions of sdrsharp if it helps you ...feel free to PM me).

eg. I have no interest in all the different themes and stick to Fluent Dark and I also don't use autohide.......display is scanner plugin above recorder on left, frequency manager on right and stretched to show long text descriptions, analyser full width along bottom of whole window, spectrum and waterfall off

Tooltip on Stop scan working (it did on 2.1.0.0 yesterday)
I prefer it without the text along the bottom and would almost certainly not have it shown at all if switchable.
The panels all restart where I had them - there is an issue with the panel contents not always being the same but that's trivial in the case of the scanner plugin.....and is true of Youssef's own 'plugins' such as the frequency manager (where it is an actual problem because the internal repositioning occurs on other changes during operation!).
Closing the analyser and re-opening with the right click is a nice addition, and it maintains it's original position (within my use). Nice addition for those with limited cpu resources (though these people often seem to want everything installed and everything running?)

I'm just glad to see that the scanner plugin is being maintained...being improved too is a massive bonus and as always you have my thanks for your work in supporting those of us who aren't as technically orientated.

thewraith2008

I think the SDR# Telerik interface and themes have been twitchy since been introduced.
The newer interface has just piled on more things to sort out.
Some controls are not positioned correctly or don't redraw properly or show right colors.

I've never been a fan of any theming of software (OS included), this is a short road to bloatware and a abuse of CPU/RAM which some programs believe they are the only ones utilizing them.

morfis

Quite agree. I still prefer v1700 of sdrsharp (I didn't really look at the ones between that and v1717 and only looked at the newer ones for the useful and newfeatures).
Far too much bloat in software generally just because computers are more powerful....the cynic in me would suggest that it's all part of the plan introduced about 100 years ago to make people rebuy products despite there being no need (false lifespan introduced by bulb companiies, new colours/change of tail-lights on cars so you need the 'new' one).

radiostationx

Sticking to v1732 here with the v2.0.0 scanner by @thewraith2008 , works fine with no problems to report.
Im not keen on the v1780+ versions for scanning although they are quite good with airspy Hf+ disco for browsing around the utility and broadcast bands.
If you want an older version of sdr# check the site below

SDR# Older Releases v1331-v1732

Thanks to Francesco IZ3MEZ in Italy for hosting these.

Thanks again to @thewraith2008 for the .pdf documentation with every release.

Magpie

Same here: v1732 and Scanner v2.0.0 give good rx and is stable. Keep up the good work (y)

Mr_Xxx

Hi , first Thanks @thewraith2008 for all the work in the updates !!

got a question : how do you guys switch fast to the new frequency where the plane has to go to?

example : im scanning and an interesting flight comes up the Eindhoven tower, so i pause the scanner on EHEH twr

1) im listning to Eindhoven Tower (with the scanner paused on the tower freq , so not scanning)

2) Eindhoven Tower 131.005 tells the plane to go to the arrival/depart frequency 124.525

How do i switch the fastest way to that freq? if i press on the freq ( eheh arr) while in pauze mode it doesnt work (see video)

@thewraith2008 is there a way to make this work? so scanner on pause , click on the freq and it switches to that freq?

or is the only way : Stop the scanner , click on the freq , put in the squelch? (works, but takes longer, so i miss a part of the conversation)

video :
(lots of noise i know, is temporarily ) thks !