I just got my RTL-SDR dongle other day, brand new version 3... I am wanting anybody's opinions on which software if the best for my SDR dongle? Would like one with a good amount of features/options, but also has good options... Thanks all! 
SDR# never worked for me. Seems others have the same issue.
Well when I downloaded SDR# I also downloaded the bundle of DLL files that the website said it needed. I then UnZipped both files into the same directory and tried to run SDR#. I am using a laptop with WindowsXP. Upon trying to run SDR# I get a pop up error stating "SDR*.exe is not a valid Win32 Application"... So I gave up... I've tried installing and uninstalling several times to no avail.
Current version will not run with XP. You will need to find an older version somewhere. Not sure how far back one needs to go. Also you have to run a version of zadig for XP,
Uh, you'd need to get XP to pretend it was Win7 or Win8, etc. How would it do that?