SDS100/SDS200: SDS Firmware 12/21/23 Digital Reception Improvements

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Firmware says
  • Improved digital reception performance. The improvement effect varies depending on the receiving area.
So has anyone noticed anything? Does digital reception seem improved for you?

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Firmware says
  • Improved digital reception performance. The improvement effect varies depending on the receiving area.
They say the reception performance depends on the receiving area. Isn't that true even without the upgrade?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
They say the reception performance depends on the receiving area. Isn't that true even without the upgrade?
I've retitled the thread to hopefully persuade people to use this thread just to discuss the improvements in digital decoding performance.

There's lots of other threads discussing the new waterfall feature.
I don't see yet, the new threads, could you possibly redirect us, to the the new thread, whatever is pertinent and the one that we need to follow? Thank you.. Bob

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Oh okay, I have been updated now by a friend personally, I'm up to date now and following the latest information, don't always have the time on this site to research. Thanks.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
@trentbob Uniden released a firmware update with a waterfall display and an update to improve digital reception.
Yeppers, I just got a personal message from a friend who's got me on track now. I just don't check in as much as I used to... thank you Dave.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase 2 talkgroup improvements is what I suspect is meant? Improvement on UID (Radio ID) capture, especially on initial transmissions (100% decoding now!). Still having reception issues on some of the Phase 2 transmissions, Phase 1 talkgroups haven't been an issue before or after update. Just a little more tweaking on the Phase 2 data stream and it'll be as good as Phase 1 talkgroup reception. Very evident on systems that have a mix of Phase 1 an 2 talkgroups utilizing the same site. Improved yes, but still needs a little work.

Firmware says

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
P25 Phase 2 talkgroup improvements is what I suspect is meant? Improvement on UID (Radio ID) capture, especially on initial transmissions (100% decoding now!). Still having reception issues on some of the Phase 2 transmissions, Phase 1 talkgroups haven't been an issue before or after update. Just a little more tweaking on the Phase 2 data stream and it'll be as good as Phase 1 talkgroup reception. Very evident on systems that have a mix of Phase 1 an 2 talkgroups utilizing the same site. Improved yes, but still needs a little work.
I have excellent reception on phase 2 tdma reception in my County on my 200 and 100, I'm talking perfect modulation and decoding.

I will depend on others before I introduce this potential jackpot into my radios.. so I look forward to peoples replies and reports.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I have excellent reception on phase 2 tdma fire reception in my County on my 200 and 100, I'm talking perfect modulation and decoding.

I will depend on others before I introduce this potential jackpot into my radios.. so I look forward to peoples replies and reports.
That's why it was mentioned about the "receiving area". Across 4 scanners and 2 different systems is what I base my observations on. Both systems are very active and simulcast which also seemed to effect it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Is the update 20 bucks or just the waterfall? Or do you have to get it all at the same time as a package? Thanks! :)
It's very simple, so let's break it down so we don't go back and forth in two threads answering the same questions:

1) The latest version of Sentinel x36HP/SDS (2.05.03) is FREE and you download it here: https://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/UnidenMan4/BCDx36HPSentinel

2) The latest firmware for the SDS100 and SDS200 (1.23.01) is FREE and you download it with the latest version of Sentinel as noted in #1. This firmware includes "improved digital reception performance"

3) The optional new waterfall/spectrum display for the SDS100 and SDS200 costs $20 to unlock, and requires the latest versions of Sentinel and firmware as noted in #1 and #2. You purchase that key from myUniden - Customer Product Registration and Support Area

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
That's why it was mentioned about the "receiving area". Across 4 scanners and 2 different systems is what I base my observations on. Both systems are very active and simulcast which also seemed to effect it.
Yes, my area has one site called simulcast with 26 towers which of course can't be locked out or manipulated in the radio.

In my area of the lower part of the county with all the concentration of towers is a simulcast nightmare for non-sdr or non subscriber radios, It's amazing how the SDS radios work.

It's early, we have some phase 1 dispatch talk groups still in Philly, once I find out this update is not flawed, I look forward to seeing if there's any Improvement on Philly's Phase 1 System that is pretty much out of my range, didn't used to be, but it is now.. keep those reports coming..

I look forward to the time I'm comfortable with the update and able to test it.