Seemingly Little Noticed Proscan Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvictor

A few revisions ago Bob added a feature to Proscan that I think adds considerably to the usefulness of the 396XT and 346XT scanners.

By connecting the headphone jack of the scanner to the Line In jack on a computer, these scanners have the capability to feed audio to a computer so that the audio can be recorded. The scanners, however, lack the ability to selectively record a particular system, group, or channel to the exclusion of others, i.e., it's all or nothing since there's no way to store the user's preferences in this regard in the scanner.

Proscan, however, can store these choices in its database and, if you select the "Lookup Record Flag From Database" option on the Audio Recordings tab, record only those systems, groups, or channels that you have selected for recording. This means that you can record a particular system, group, or channel without burdening your hard drive with recordings of everything that your scanner hears. Your portable scanner therefore has a selective recording feature previously only available on the base/mobile scanners.

The fact that your recording preferences are stored only in the database and not in the scanner is of little consequence since you will only be recording through Proscan when your scanner is connected to your computer anyway.

I'm posting this because I think this is a terrific addition to Proscan which seems to have gone largely unnoticed. The nice thing is that if you don't find this feature useful, it has no adverse impact on your other uses of Proscan.

Dick

cg

Premium Subscriber
the problem is that when you download the radio, you have to go through and set all the record flags again in the software.

chris

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
the problem is that when you download the radio, you have to go through and set all the record flags again in the software.

chris

You're right. I will put this on the schedule for February.

rvictor

chris

Good observation, Chris. I hadn't had a problem with it since I've used it to record just a few channels for a limited time so I keep everything set to "Record Marked Channels" and then just turn on the ones that I want. When I change to something else, I turn those off and turn on the new ones.

I can see, however, that it would be a problem if one had a more complex set of channels to deal with.

Thanks for pointing it out and thanks to Bob for being so quick to put it on the list of things to resolve.

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.